Nintendo is too childish for me - help!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Spartacus, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Spartacus macrumors member

Nov 28, 2004
    Okay, so I'm 22 years old. I really really want to like my Wii and DS because the hardware is wonderful, but I can't get over the fact that Nintendo makes everything so damn childish. The gameplay is really great and revolutionary, yes, but is there a reason why everything has to be so simple and elementary? Recent examples that led me to this post:

Advance Wars: Dual Strike (DS) - Great strategy game, but what's up with the kindergarteners as COs and comic book enemies?

Anything Wii (Zelda included)

I just want Nintendo to take me seriously as a gamer over 10. Sadness looks like the only game on the horizon that is simi-serious. Anyone agree or care to comment?
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    remember that nintendo doesn't make all the games. and remember that as long as you have fun playing the games thats all tha matters.
  3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Flamebait alert!

So you want more buttons on your controller and games with rapists, thugs, and cop killers? Theres a good mix of games targeted toward "mature" audiences, so I don't get your beef? Personally, I'd rather have fun playing a game then struggling with the controls (ala xbox/ps3).
  4. Rojo macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2006
    If you say the gameplay is great, who cares how it's presented?

I don't own a Wii, but I've always been under the impression it's been about bringing FUN back into games. It's a gaming console that can be enjoyed by ALL ages. It's perfect for kids, but it's also great for adults who aren't looking for overly complex games that bog you down with too many details at the expense of just fun gaming.

If the games feel too cutesy for you, then perhaps you got the wrong console. But hasn't Nintendo always been on the cutesy side? I thought that was part of their appeal and charm.

If *I* was to get a gaming console, it would be a Wii, specifically for all the reasons I stated above.
  5. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    There are going to be a ton of great "mature" games coming out soon enough (I assume) for the Wii. There were also some mature games out for the Gamecube as well (RE games, Hitman come to mind). SplinterCell Double Agent is coming out soon for the Wii, which is a mature game. There are also your "run of the mill" EA games coming out too, that have broad appeal, as well as the WWII Shooters that are the rage (CoD 3 is out). As an earlier poster mentioned, Nintendo will make the games that Nintendo makes. The majority of those games are franchises which aren't mature by nature. Part of the reason is probably that Nintendo is touting the Wii as a console for everyone, from kids to grandparents. So much of the mature subject matter is out of the question. I have no doubts that we will continue to see more mature themed games on the Wii; although, maybe not the likes of Bully and GTA.

For the DS, well, I really don't know. To me, the non-mature themes seem to be the nature of the device. I haven't really kept up with what games are out/coming out, but there are some great games that I know of that should be really fun.

I really suppose the whole thing depends on what you mean by "mature" though, as video games are meant to appeal to a wide variety. What's mature for some might not be mature for others.
  6. echeck macrumors 68000

Apr 20, 2004
    Boise, Idaho
    Having owned a Wii for all of four days, I absolutely believe it's the greatest console ever created.

Personally, I put more emphasis on gameplay rather than on graphics and how many hookers and cops i can kill in five minutes. Always makes me laugh that those games are called "Mature", so very ironic.

Anyway, if you want more "serious" games then I don't think the Wii is for you. Put it on ebay and then get a 360 or wait and try to snag a PS3.

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    Rocketing through the sky!
    Nintendo feels cutesy to me as well, but you gotta get over it. There are lots of GC games are that M rated and several M rated games on the way for Wii as well. It's just that the higher profile games like Mario and Pokemon are a little kiddy. Mario never USED to be kiddy, he was gangsta (ok...not really) but over the years he seems to be more and more cutesy (ie. Mario Sunshine) but oh well.

I kind of feel ignored by gaming companies lately. The money is in new gamers, younger kids, adults who havent played games etc. Those people who need the easy simple controls and all that. Much like the cell phone companies who kiss the asses of new customers and stick their noses up at their current customers I feel like the developers and such don't cater to MY needs enough. I want complex. I want long and difficult.

Look at the Wii launch: Zelda, Red Steel, Marvel and CoD3 are the only T+ rated games (and Zelda is fine for younger kids, maybea little hard but not anything bad). Cars! Rayman! Super Monkey Ball! Tony Hawk Down Hill Jam! Excite Truck! It shows who they wanna develop for.
  8. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Just wait until you get a bit older. I use to feel the same way. But once you hit about 25 (I'm 27) you start to get to the point where you think "who cares, as long as its fun."

For me, its a matter of the control scheme. Nintendo has always made the controls that make the most sense for me. The older I get, the harder it is to figure out these damn controllers sporting 80 buttons. For instance, this weekend I went to my brother's house and my nephew made me play against him in a PS2 game, Star Wars Battlefront. First of all, I couldn't grasp the 2 joysticks to make the guy move. I would want to go forward and would end up looking at my feet. Then when it came time to shoot I ask what button did it and he responded "L2!"... L2? wtf? "How do I work this turret?" "X!" "How do I do this?" "Triangle".... my fingers just feel smooth buttons.

Now, fast forward to the next day when I get home with my shiny new Wii and plug in the Wii Sports game featuring cartoony "childish" graphics. I click on tennis. Get absolutely no on screen instructions on how to serve, so I just make a gesture like I'm serving a ball... and guess what? It worked.

So if you ask me, Wii is the PERFECT system for older people. (I can't believe I just called myself an older person, but you get the picture.)
  9. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

May 2, 2005
    Wheaton/Normal, IL
    I'm 19 and I love my Wii and DS Lite. Maybe you just need to get over yourself?

10. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    if you want "serious" games then don't look at consoles games.
  11. atszyman macrumors 68020

Sep 16, 2003
    The Dallas 'burbs
    You hit the nail on the head. I'm a few years older than you and my friends and I are a more interested in the Wii at this point than any other system. We haven't actually sought a system this close to launch since we were in HS or younger. I don't care what it looks like, in fact the more realistic the graphics (especially when they try to do people) the more disconcerting it is for me. As the people in games look more and more realistic the funny quirks that they haven't quite figured out yet makes them seem creepy. This article addresses that issue.

I have a PS2 and it mostly gets used for RPGs from Square and some retro games like the Mega Man Anniversary collection. With the Wii VC I can get replay the games of my youth and start playing with a new controller paradigm on the new stuff.

I'm actually interested to see if my wife starts to play once she sees how everything works.
  12. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

Aug 8, 2004
    America's Wang
    I'm 25 and while you are right, the majority of Nintendo's franchises are childish. Mario and Zelda are games that I have never really grown out of. Also, Twighlight Princess is pretty tough for most kids to play (at least without cheating)...Besides Sadness, Disaster Day of Crisis, and the Resident Evil game are ones that are coming in the next year that look to have mature themes.

Also, the virtual console is aimed directly at adult gamers like me who remember playing the original LoZ and want to play it again. What kid is gonna want to play an 8-bit game that is so difficult? I doubt many...

Finally, the Wii is cool to me because I might actually get my girlfriend to join in playing games which is a major advantage over the other consoles.
  13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    Not ripping you or anything but have you played a lot of games in the past few years? the PS controller has remained basically the same since 1995, which is basically the same as the SNES (save one extra shoulder button) since 1990 (thats when SNES came out no?). What happened to you is what generally happens to people who have never played video games before. Although the two joystick things causes a lot of people trouble (maybe they are PC gamers)

I do agree that Wii Sports is very easy to understand (although golf has crappy sensitivity), I was kicking ass at tennis withing 5 minutes.
  14. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    You invited all the above flames. But I'll step up and agree. I don't care how fun the games are, they're games they should be fun. Why does Nintendo feel the need to stick with this baby vibe. I love Nintendo, and eventually I'll get a Wii once this hype has died down. But I hear you, I posted a while back how I was annoyed about how N seems to rehash old ideas like Duckhunt and Mario....and got flamed for about two I feel what you're saying. Flame away ....
  15. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
    oh noes you didn't.
  16. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    I'm 20 and cannot wait for the new Pokemon DS game to hit English shores, I don't care what they are. Cartoons, "childish" games etc. I hate Scooby Doo, The Simpsons, rubbish like that. But I bloody love Akira and Studio Ghibli stuff because the stories are fantasic (and in Ghibli) full of charm.

Games = gameplay
    Cartoons = story.

If the above media have quality I will play/watch/whatever.

ps. Why has Advance Wars got to have super serious people? You do know that Aria of Sorrow (GBA) sold terrible compared to Dawn of Sorrow (DS), they changed the art style to appear to a wider audience and it made them more money. Makes sense to me.
  17. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    :eek: What the hell did Shaggy ever do you do? ;)

And you dont like the Simpons?! even the old, good ones?! :(
  18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    If you don't like those sorts of games, why buy them or play them?

Nintendo affiliates have other games that work on the hardware. It's easy enough to choose something different.

I still don't see the need for the Need for Speed series but I'm sure someone likes it.
  19. fall3n macrumors 6502

Aug 17, 2006
    Nintendo has always been focused towards less mature rated games. As for difficult controlers, how the heck is a ps3, even xbox, controller so hugely diffucult?
  20. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

Sep 11, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The controls aren't THAT hard to get used to on the xbox or the ps3. Once you play them for a while, your hands will mold around the controllers...making them one with your body. (Warning: This could lead to "no life" syndrome)
  21. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    You can feel however you want about it but as long as Nintendo still creates aweseome games I don't care if it's cartoony lookin' (which I prefer), or realistic. I'm 22 and I've always condsidered the cartoony and un-realistic games, more creative and fun, Isn't that what videogames are about?

"hardcore" and "mature" is the definition of irony in the land of videogame consumers. Go play original NES games and conquer them, than you can say you are hardcore. Go play the plentiful array of cartoony lookin' games on any system and not care what others think, that is mature.
  22. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Aren't that hard to get used to?

I've been a gamer all my life, but when I was on the PS2 and I asked "how do i do X move?" "oh use the right shoulder button" "WHICH ONE?!".
    I like how Nintendo tried to add simplicity to their GC controller, a main face button, the traditional B button and then an above and right X and Y button. instead of the featureless "diamond", made worse by Japanese games swopping X and O around for "agree" in menus.

My mum had a play on Red Steel today. Got the controls in a minute. Even hours into Halo I would still forget the controls.
  23. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    neither are PC games very difficult (shooters are still easier on PC no matter how hard consoleros beat the "easy controller" drums)

i still have problems finding buttons on the ps2 controller because they didn't use the alphabet
    except the triangle which i simply know thanks to soul calibur: where with Raphael you always end up spamming those god damn triangles over and over again
  24. Malus macrumors 6502

Jul 19, 2005
    Zelda is rated is it childish? Personally being 19 years old, I thought it was creepy when Link's eyes turned all white and he started to scream at one point early into the game.

Red Steel isnt a childish has guns.

Why does a game have to have strippers, murderers, and intense gore for you to have fun with it? I seriously have doubts on todays society and the direction we are going now adays.
  25. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

Jan 12, 2006