Nintendo last... Again? *sigh*

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheMonarch, Sep 14, 2005.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I recall reading somewhere (EGM I think) that stated that Nintendo was determined to not be last in the 'Next gen console wars'. And yet here we are... So when exactly (or around) is Nintendo going to play? And why? What do you think?

I will post the EGM thingy, IF, 1) I can find it... 2) IF I do find it, am I allowed to post it (copyright?)

Personally, I think Nintendo should release just right before the PS3, to drown some of they hype. I think that the biggest reason the PS2 sold so well was because it had no 'Next gen' competition for a year...

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Well, if it's not ready, it's not ready. Nintendo has always relied on their exclusive game franchises to sell consoles, so I doubt it'll make much difference. People who want Zelda/DK/etc. will wait to buy it no matter what other consoles are out there. They likely can't compete on specs (polygon fill rates and that crap) with PS3 and XBOX, but neither can those consoles play their games.

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Where's the "again"? GameCube beat XBox to the market by 3 days.

Anyway, Nintendo had been saying "We will launch before the PS3" and now are just saying "Sometime in 2006". It's really hard to tell. Any release dates are all speculation.

4. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

No it didn't

xbox = 11/15/01

GameCube = 11/18/01

You got it backwards. And if you argue with me about japan dates, well in terms of sales, US>Japan.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

somebody should start the thread "low quality Sony hardware... again? *sigh*" or "M$ charging way too much... again? *sigh*"

could i have a rant about the NINE month delay with the japan>europe PSP launch? now i know Nintendo don't always deliver first. but nine months is frikkin ridiculous.

:)

im not bothered. just because they release last doesn't mean the next gen Zelda or Metroid will be any less amazing.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Huh, guess I did.

7. Viewtiful Rich macrumors regular

Viewtiful Rich

The Tokyo Game Show is going on later today... well in my time zone anyways, and Mr. Iwata is suppose to be revealing some Revolution news!

I think I kind of get where you're going in that, it seems like Nintendo could be doing a lot more to give itself a fighting chance to get more marketshare, but they do things their way so...

8. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Doing things "their" way seems to be the most profitable per-unit, as well.

9. benpatient macrumors 68000

unfortunately, "profits" doesn't look better on an HD monitor.

and the marketshare of gamers with HD monitors is going up FAST.

I think the "games are better, so what about the features and graphics" argument isn't going to hold up as well in the HD world. A 50" plasma exposes every flaw in the current-generation consoles, visually, and it's just going to be worse if N* doesn't play ball with at LEAST 720p. If we want the "best gameplay" experience in standard definition, we can just plug in the old SNES and play mario all stars or super mario kart all day.

10. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

Count me out of this marketshare, because I can not afford one. And I honestly won't be buying one anytime soon.

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

At least? 720p is the second highest HD resolution, down from 1080p (which the XBox 360 doesn't even support). Yes, 1080i has more lines but 720p has twice the framerate so in reality it takes more power to run 720p.

12. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

While it sucks royally for you guys to get the shaft on release dates, it only means good for us here in the US. If you guys don't want to wait, well, then buy more than us, and I'm sure all the videogame companies would gladly shift your priority.

And releasing the Rev. later wouldn't mean higher quality Zelda or Metroid either; unless they say that they're going to be launch tittles.

13. shortyjj macrumors regular

Sadly, if Nintendo had supported HD with the GC, I probably would have finished Wind Waker and Metroid Prime, rather than Halo.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

im almost certain the Rev will have a HD output. official word is (IIRC) the Rev will support PC monitors. i dont know about you guys but a max resolution of 640x480 on computer monitors is a little 1800's. i'd say it'd support at least 1024x768 in monitor mode.

if thats true, i may just do away with my 28" TV and get a 20" LCD for my bedroom, Powerbook+EyeTV and the Rev's monitor output. would be sorted for me.

again sorry, i don't know what 720p or 1080i or what all that translates to in terms of actual image resolution.

personally i dont think Nintendo will be doing anything different. they wont rush out the Rev because the PS3 is coming. Nintendo are a different slice in the gaming world now. its between the dull sequential, almost robotic like upgraded PS3 and Xbox360 consoles. Nintendo has its demographic that nothing can fill, that is not shrinking nor growing (well maybe a bit, now they're gunning for the non-gamer market). they're making more profit than the others. Nintendo are like Apple i suppose, they sit on the metaphorical island of peace, low prices and high profits... wheres Sony and M$ wage war on the mass continent each trying to out do each other, each getting the same games as each other with the war kept alive only by scallies, visual-whores and empty heads who claim that one system looks better than another... oh well :)
    also like Apple, Nintendo may have less sales worldwide. but the fans are in love. such characters as Shigsy and Iwata against the cold corporate image of Sony and M$.

what im getting at is i dont think Nintendo players care if its released last. they just want one.

15. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

:eek:

It wasn't pretty enough, so you moved on to a generic FPS?

Never play nethack, then. :)

16. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

NSTC = 640 x 680 (interlaced)
    PAL = 768 x 576 (interlaced)
    480p = 640 x 480 (progressive)
    720p = 1280 x 720 (progressive)
    1080i = 1920 x 1080 (interlaced)
    1080p = 1920 x 1080 (progressive)

720p and 1080i are HD and are pretty common these days. 1080p is hard to come by, for now.

More info here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDTV

17. toomuchstereo macrumors regular

ive been gaming for 20 years, in today's world nintendo just doenst hold up, sure they still make some of the best games on the planet, but they really need to just move to the software sector like sega did.

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Why would you not finish a game just because it doesn't support HD? :confused:

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

but that would mean no Revolution. if Nintendo stopped who would Sony and M$ copy?
    saw a funny comment on the web this morning, went along the lines of "wonder why the PS3 controller looks so stupid? Nintendo haven't showed theirs yet!"

also would mean no DS. or GB Micro. Hell would freeze over the day the official Nintendo games are released on that PSP thing :D

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

720p is

1280x720 at 60 FPS

1080i is

1920x1080 interlaced, 30 full FPS

(with 1080i, 60 images are shown per second just like 720p, but each image is only half a frame, so you are getting 30 full frames per second).

720p is a lower resolution, but there is twice the frames being shown every second. Quick math shows that you see more pixels every second on a 720p screen than 1080i so I'd assume 720p takes more effort on the system.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

the higher resolutions we get the further we are moving away from pixel art :( and 3D is NO competitor to wonderful pixel art. Metal Slug as an example. probably the most beautiful game i've seen.

22. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

It doesn't have to be. 720p can be 30fps, or 24 (like apple's h.264 trailers)

23. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

The lack of HD on the Rev is a mistake IMHO. I bought an HDTV primarily for next-gen games. And they're not as expensive as you'd think.

Standard def signals look worse on an HDTV than on an old tv. As such, I'd expect Rev games to look worse on my new HDTV than on the old 27" set. Weak!

Even if the Rev delivers on polygon counts, it won't matter too much for those of us with HD displays. I know not too many people have them today, but what about in 2009 when these consoles are hitting their prime?

Please go with HD Nintendo! This is the high-definition generation!

24. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Irony - highlighted in bold.

Also, resolution has nothing to do with the '3D vs. 2D' games debate. The higher the resolution - the more detailed 'pixel art' you get (if companies still saw the value in such games).

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

im sorry, why is it ironic? have you seen how much M$ are charging for XP, how much the (better version) 360 is going to cost? just like the regular Xbox cost an utter fortune on its launch?