Nintendo Playstation?

Discussion in 'Community' started by digital1, Dec 2, 2002.

1. digital1 macrumors 6502

digital1

Ok guys I am looking for no flaming with this post, I was just curious when I saw this on a different Forum I thought it was pretty interesting. For me Personally, I won't believe it until I see it. In some ways it makes sense, in others its just a little far fetched. Not to say that this could not happen. But I just figured this would make for some interesting conversation.

Quote:

The Sonic, Megaman, Mario photo has a little something extra. It also spells PS2.

"Nintendo is set to file suit against Sony next week, declaring that the Playstation brand, and all of the profits made by Sony from it's sale, belong to Nintendo. While reading over the original contract between Sony and Nintendo (Sony were to make a CD drive for the Super Nes, entitled the Playstation), a lawyer for Nintendo noticed some key wording which showed that it was Sony's responsibility to make the drive, and that they broke the contract, not Nintendo, like initially believed.

"According to sources, Nintendo is almost assured a victory, gaining all the profit's made by Sony off the Playstation since its introduction in 1996. Even if Nintendo do not win outright, they are guaranteed the rights to the Playstation name, and Sony will have to immediatley change the name of their console."

This is what will make Nintendo systems go flying from the shelves people. The "Nintendo Playstation," people won't know the difference, unsuspecting customers everywhere will be buying Nintendo, thinking that it's Sony. Sony is in a world of hurt."

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

uh what picture are you talking about? if it has sonic with mario then it was released well after the playstation because sonic is a sega franchise and didnt appear on a nintendo console until after the death of the dreamcast and the release of the gamecube......:rolleyes:

3. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

Picture? I am not too sure. I just pulled off the article from a forum. I know that Sega stopped making consoles and they are exclusively a software company. I guess what I am referring to is the fact that Sony and Nintendo had an agreement that was breached. Sega isnt too relavent..

4. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I have three words for you. Statute of Limitations.

This is "probably" a dead issue.

5. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

hmmmm.....

Is that like when a given company has so long to pursue something. like with credit card companies and things?

6. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

please post a source or some pic of what the heck you are talking about. id like to see just what the hell this is all about.

7. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

I hope this is true.
    It proally isn't, but I hope so!

Now I personally have a ps2, but if Nintendo won, it would just be waaaaayyyy too hillarious. lol

*crosses fingers*

8. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

doesnt statue of limitations work for cases older then 7 years?

9. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

I will try!

I will see what I can do about getting a link or something! :)

10. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

I found the image(s) that is being refered to.

Attached Files:

11. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

:rolleyes: Thats what they were talking about... how rediculous..

Its spells out PS2, its proof its proof, all you have to do is run it through the photoshop masaic filter and squint really hard and then just maybe, maybe you can see the letters PS2.

now if thats not proof i dont know what is.:rolleyes:

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

that's pushing it.

that looks no more like ps2 than some picture i could probably come up with in a few minutes search on google

some people have too much time on their hands (myself? maybe)

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

look what i found, on a similar note.........

i bet this is the doing of alex_theprick_ant

Attached Files:

14. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

If this image is legit... which seems highly unlikely... Im still unclear as to how this image is such a big frekin deal in this whole issue.

Who supposedly put this image out? For what and why?

On the other hand.... I found this out... (my info could be wrong)

Supposedly somtime back before the playstation came out... Nintendo asked Sony to make them a cd adapter for the snes entitles "playstation"... much like NIntendo works with panasonic or what not.

Now this is where it gets choppy...

Nintendo works with panasonic as well as Sony

1) Some people believe that when this happened Nintendo dropped Sony (gave up on them) and Sony ran off with the playstation idea.

2) Some people believe that Nintendo never dropped Sony and Sony took the playstation Idea and never ment to help Nintendo.

i hope this is correct.... anyone please feel free to correct me.

So now.... before the staute of limitation takes effect... its been 6 years now.... 7 is when its a dead issue... Nintendo is going to drop the lawsuit and win... having waited this long because they will have gotten more money or profit doing it now from sony as oppose to 3 to 4 years ago... letting the money build.

Well thats all im getting at the moment... I still dont know how this image plays into this whole frekin issue.

Anyone please feel free to correct me or inform me more.

15. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

16. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

Cool!

Thanks Cross fyter for the image! I never saw it! :) I personally think this COULD happen with Nintendo and the Lawsuit. From the story that I heard, Nintendo went to Sony to do a cd-drive for the SNES, and then Nintendo dumped Sony, but Sony wanted to keep going, so Ken Kutargai took over the project independently. You know, to be honest, i didnt think an actual image was being referred to! :-D Thanks for the info again. :):)

17. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

No problem.

Plim on GameFaqs:

"First I'll cover the article. True or not? I don't know. But it does make sense. Several years ago, Nintendo came up with the idea for a CD add-on for the SNES. They hired Sony to produce this add-on for Nintendo. They wrote a contract. Soemwhere along the line, Nintendo supposedly broke the deal and teamed up with Panasonic. Now it has surfaced that Sony was reponsible for making the PLAYSTATION for NINTENDO. They never did, so it was Sony that broke the deal. (Remember, this is all hypothetical, basing it on if the article is real) Therefore, Nintendo designed the PSX, came up with the PSX, Sony promised Nintendo to make it for them, but they break it off and make it for themselves. This would entitle Nintendo to everything Playstation. Even the game sales, because Sony was reaping the benefits of a console Nintendo should have the rights to. "

I believe he is refering to a "Rare" article that splills out whats going on.

anyways.... other people are saying that Sony dumped Nintendo because Nintendo was working with someone else (phillips or panasonic).

18. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

WOW that would turn the tables Fast! :O :O :O Can you imagine Nintendo with 2 Gaming systems! :O that would be weird!

19. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Nintendo would own for good.

Im not too sure what the facts are though.... so im waiting to see what the hell is the real deal.

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

just seems weird to me that they'd wait so long......

ok, they were letting the money pile up? i doubt it... i mean, if they'd grabbed the rights a while ago they'd still be making money...

just seems a bit off.

21. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

on the basis that its true...

thats what i said... but it makes sense to let the money pile up waiting this long.

Nintendo would have more money and profit from it waiting as long as they can as oppose to dropping the lawsuit when it was breached or even in the middle of the game.... you know what im saying? If its true its a frekin smart business move by Nintendo.... one wild one for sure. Wierd things happen with companies now a days man... it could be possible. I wouldnt put it past them.

Regardless if its true or not... im still surprised that the playstation was Nintendos Idea. GOes to show you who the real deal creative force in the gamming world is that everyone is trying to be like or be better then.

22. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

AND! :)

And you are forgetting the millions of dollars in R&D for Playstation 2/3 for processor technology, Grid/clustering technology, game delivery media/mediums, and key partnerships that Sony has. I mean a Nintendo system with high powered custom ASICs for processing, and graphics technology. Not to mention all the brains at IBM,MIPS,Toshiba, and others.

23. medea macrumors 68030

medea

umm for those of you who didnt read my first post here- "it has sonic with mario in the pic so would have to have been released well after the playstation because sonic is a sega franchise and didnt appear on a nintendo console until after the death of the dreamcast and the release of the gamecube."

and now after seeing the pic it is obvious its fake and was not created by nintendo.

24. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

uhh forgive my ignorance on what you are talking about... but why does this matter with this whole issue? im not trying to say it doesnt or challenge your response... im just curious as to whats up with the pic.

25. medea macrumors 68030

medea

uhhh "the sonic, megaman, mario logo has a little something extra in it, it spells PS21" is a bunch of crap because sonic is not a nintendo trademark, it's a sega trademark, and there is no logo with megaman, sonic and mario together. why would you add a stupid and fake logo to a legitimate story about nintendo winning (or trying to win) a suit against sony? If this lawsuit is true than the story here is way too vague, like who came up with the name "playstation" if sony was supposed to make it for nintendo, was it sonys idea or nintendos, and if the deal was broke the only issue here is the trademark on the name not the actual hardware and who owns the "playstation" trademark sony or nintendo and Im betting its not nintendo, who can have a disucssion with someone today about a possible product, but if in 5 years from now you dont go anywhere with it and that other person does, they do not owe you jack.