Nintendo Rev selling point...

Discussion in 'Games' started by ijimk, Nov 22, 2005.

1. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

With the recent release of the Xbox 360 for like 400 dollars U.S. i was wondering if the rumor of around 200 dollars has any truth to it. I am slightly intrested in the Xbox 360 but not for 400 bucks. To me that seems like alot to spend on a console. I have spent around 200 numerous other time and would be inclines to do so from the start with the Rev for the controller alone...

any help is welcome...:confused:

2. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Like you said, its a rumor. Nintendo probably doesn't yet know what the final cost will be. If I were you, I would wait until all three systems are released before looking to buy one or the other. I've slugged by on my PSone and N64, waiting out that last revision, so I might be a bit different than many others. But that's my 2 cents. :)

3. ijimk thread starter macrumors 6502a

ijimk

yea thats true I know out of all three I will probably get 2. One being the Rev. it looks so innovative and fresh, plus i have a nintendo fanboy inside of me (i get warm and fuzzy when i hear that mario theme). then I will get one of the other monsters for graphic heavy games. I will say this I was impressed with how quake 4 looked on the xbox 360 but I still want to see the ps3 before i make a decission.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

$400 wouldn't be so much to spend on the console if the games weren't then so damn expensive. I know most people seem to like to get games as soon as they come out, but I always wait 6 months to a year.... Save about $100 on the console, and then get the games for $20 instead of $50. In other words, I can afford more than twice as many games.

5. ijimk thread starter macrumors 6502a

ijimk

yea thats true the xbox 360s games are going for $60, i was like what happened to the $50 and under norm we are all used to... i pray niintendo doesn't do this with the rev...

6. ijimk thread starter macrumors 6502a

ijimk

another issue i have a question on the 360 is does it support a keyboard and mouse? I am old school and can really only play a 1st person shooter/also mmorpgs enjoyably with a good ole trust mouse and keyboard.

7. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Seeing as that's about how much the GC was released for, it looks about right

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The PS3 supposedly supports a keyboard and mouse, but i don't know if developers will allow it for their own games.

Nintendo has said the Revolution will sell for a lower price point than the XBox 360, but they don't know what that is yet. So the Rev will sell for under $299. $200 or $250, I don't know.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Mouse/keyboard support? well you wont need a mouse with that controller. and nintendo are trying to simplify gaming so I wouldn't expect keyboard support. however, with Wifi built into the system and Nintendo going for the non-gamer I wouldn't be surprised to see a web browser in the Rev. I mean for the price of a router, the Rev and a keyboard you can use the internet. rather than buying a computer like.

but hey. We know little about the Rev. We are supposed to be getting some more official Rev news before the end of the year. Which is only 6-7 weeks away?

I'm estimating a £150 UK launch price. games at £30. Retro games free, buying a Rev game lets you download 5 retro games. Might even tie in with Nintendos Star system... i hope so i have about 4000 stars! Nintendo aim for simplicity so I cannot imagine you putting in credit/debit card details on the Rev to download games. That's too Microsoft.

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

That's a good point about the CC# being entered into the Nintendo WiFi system; I can see it being rejected as an overly complex idea. Perhaps they will base it on a credit system... NES games are X credits, SNES Y, N64 Z, etc. Get credits as you suggest for each game you buy, but maybe they would sell credits on gift cards. But, rather than use cards put them onto a one time use mini-cd that has 20 or whatever credits on it and once you put it into your Rev and login to the WiFi network it the disc becomes useless.

I hope we get some more details on the system some time soon, though. Seems like a good time to release something, to sorta push back a little against the XBox blitz.

11. cubist macrumors 68020

I'm a casual gamer so I dislike locked tracks/cars/items in games. I just don't have time to spend on a game to get good enough on it to unlock stuff. In Asphalt DS I haven't been able to win even a single race, much less unlock anything; at least the open collection includes some pretty good cars.

My point being, I hope there is an alternate way to get the old games.

12. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I THINK that what was suggested was that by buying a Rev game you would get free downloads of retro games, not unlockable content that you had to "win" in the game. I also home that you can just buy the retro games; there are lots of SNES games that I would love to play again, and also a TON of N64 games that I missed out on as I never had a 64...

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nintendo has mentioned that they might give out credits for free game downloads, say, you buy the new Mario and get some old Mario games for free downloads.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I really can see the Rev/Retro game download working just like the Stars System does now.

Buy the system; 300 stars.
    Buy a game; 50 stars.
    Buy an accessory; 100 stars.

cost of NES game; 10 stars
    Snes games; 20 stars
    N64 games; 30 stars.

that said I can't imagine Nintendo doing a tiered system like that. Perhaps all retro games for 20 stars?
    its just the Nintendo thing to do. If im right i'll ditch all this design business and buy some lottery tickets ;)

15. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

16. Viewtiful Rich macrumors regular

Viewtiful Rich

I think the console will cost $200 to 250 at most

And Nintendo has made it pretty clear that the retro games won't be free, I'm sure you'll be able to get some "free" through special deals, but I'd be ready to bust out that credit/debit card. Nintendo likes making money off old code... Classic NES series anyone?

I can't wait for more Revolution news, apparently its got a couple more secrets up it's sleeves... it's going to be awesome!

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Have you seen the price of the NES classics? first hand copies cost about £9. pretty sure thats just to cover the cost of the cartridge and printing. take all that away and you're left with a £1-2 game. Maybe it is just me but I cant see there being a credit card input screen on the Rev. but who knows? Nintendo hinted at a reward system IIRC. looking at the DS now, Nintendo wants to reward gamers these days. Nintendogs and Mario Kart, you do well, you get nice things. but yea. who knows...

18. cubist macrumors 68020

Oh, and supposedly there is a DS cart coming out with the old Intellivision titles. My kid has the "Intellivision Lives" disc for his PS2, but the controller is a problem. Also, my fav Intellivision program, Burger Time, isn't on it.