Nintendo Revolution Ideas

Discussion in 'Games' started by kuyu, Mar 1, 2005.

1. kuyu macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    Compared with Sony's and Microsoft's next-gen consoles, almost nothing is known about Nintendo's console, code-named "Revolution". The purpose of this thread is not to post fanboy comments or to attack one company or another. Rather, the idea here to start a discussion regarding the possiblities of the Nintendo Revolution (NR).

My predictions:
    1) The NR will feature gyroscopic controllers. These will allow us to control the on screen action with our hands, arms, and fingers instead of just with fingers alone.

2) The NR will feature very good voice recognition so that we can control the games with our voices as well.

3) NR games will be far less "objective" driven than todays games. NR titles will focus on creativity and open-ended fun rather than movie like experiences. Think legos. This principle applied in a 3D virtual world could provide a very entertaining experience.

4) The NR will hook to a TV set, but nintendo will eventually sell a VR headset.

I would bet that nintendo has a title in development that acts as sort of a blank canvas in which the player creates a game world as they see fit. Imagine being able to literally build, shape, manipulate, and interact with a world of your own creation. Like GTA, except you designed it. You could set your own goals, and share your creation with others.

The possibilities are truly endless with a game like this. Build your world, Change your world, Share your world.
  2. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2005
    Nintendo as lost is touch with reality. They are going to the road that will bring them to failture. I'm sad to see a company that was once the king of video games going down like this. It reminds me of Sega. We all know what happen to them.

Nintendo needs some major changes at the direction level. Just look at the failure of N64 and Gamecube regardless of having good and innovative ideas. The demography of gamers has evoluate but not Nintendo. You can no longer makes simple game, slap the mario name on it and expect to sell like it did before.

I think only Nintendo avid follower will get into NR. The rest will turn to Sony and Microsoft. The success of Sony playstation was the use of standard media (CD and DVD). If Playstation didn't have a free DVD player, I don't think they would of had the same sucess. The gaming industry is into convergence of media. Sony and Microsoft are following that route. Console is not only for games but act as entry of Multipurpose Multimedia appliance into people's living room.

Nintendo should stick to handheld and software market which I think it's a better media for them.
  3. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    I think the president of Nintendo is a smart man. He recently opined that games had gotten too complex and not very much fun to play. Another website I read said that most games are designed for "obsessive gaming" rather than "part-time gaming". These points seem to me to be related.

My stepson recently purchased NFS Hot Pursuit 2 and NFS Underground. Neither of us have been able to get beyond the first level of either of these games. They are extremely difficult and would appear to require the commitment of a great many hours. I think this game design is wrongheaded; in fact, locked tracks and cars may actually constitute consumer fraud (the package promises something which the game does not deliver).

Games should be easy and fun for people to just pick up and play, for example, when people come over. Crash Team Racing and Mario Carts, for example. They don't have any locked cars or tracks.

DVD players are cheap now. That feature may have helped sell PS2s, but it's not of much value now. The PSP doesn't use regular disks either; I'd imagine the PS3 will be more like the PSP than the PS2.

OK, so where does this get us re the Revolution?

I like Kuyu's idea that the games could be more "user-developable" than most are now. Racing games should allow us to design tracks and customize our cars, to a greater degree than at present; they should allow exploration. Basically Kuyu describes something which is more like The Sims or an MMORPG than the piles of copycat FPS games which are available for Xbox and PS2.

Gyro controllers have been out for a while, so that's a possibility. The machine could include a cheap camera for customizing games with your picture. It could also include an online connection for multiplayer gaming, IM, email and web browsing. I hope it wouldn't be tied to a ripoff service. Also, the DS could be used as a client to the machine somehow.
  4. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

Nov 4, 2004
    San Diego
    There may also be a touch screen feature within the controller as well. I think that the microphone (with mario party) and the DS are a few examples of nintendo testing hardware that they may or will include with the revolution.

I am not sure that Nintendo will do a VR headset, at least in the way that we would think of a head set. I think nintendo made a statement that they were going to be revolutionary, but not too revolutionary that it would alienate players. I think diverging from the TV would be a little too alienating. I think if anything they may include a pair of glasses that would flash additional info to you while you watch the main tv. Take metroid prime for example, imagine on the tv is the world and you yourself wear a pair of googles or glasses that display your weapons, health and dialog. Basically immersing yourself into the game, without getting too far from what people are comfortable with. I feel this is similar to what they are trying to do with the DS, showing you the same game from two different perspectives or views.

I also wanted to add to your description of building your own world. I think Nintendo missed a critical opportunity by not including a HD on the gamecube, customization. I believe revolution will include one and I think it will lead to many different possibilities. You mentioned GTA, but I thought of animal crossing. How much better would that game have been with the addition of a hard drive. Instead of living in a town, make the whole thing customizable. Want to rip your house down and move it near the coast? Go ahead. Want to travel or open your town to tourists (other live players)? Hop on the train and visit any one of the thousand other animal crossing towns on nintendo's online world. Basically make the game an MMORPG/SIM game.

Overall I don't know if there will be anothing greatly revolutionary in the hardware itself but the way the games will engage players. I am much more excited about the possibilities for nintendo than just playing another FPS or RPG with only better graphics.
  5. PixelFactory macrumors regular

Jun 6, 2003
    The PS3 will have the bluray drive which makes an inroad for HD-DVD. I think it will be more like the PS2 in this feature.

AS far as Revolution, Maybe not a VR headset but a set of 3d glasses that work. Not the old fashioned red and blue type but somthing that can use flickering LEDs that are in sync with the tv so simulate 3d. Much more engrossing if I can actually see depth in the screen. We are still really only looking at 2d images right now.
  6. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    I would definitely expect Revolution to have some very innovative features. I will admit that these are tough times for Nintendo, and not all their games have been absolute first class, but at least they're producing exciting different games. And this is what keeps me with Nintendo. I know the PS3 will be a decent gaming machine, but there's nothing much that will take my fancy, just like the current PS2 (and Xbox). I'm not a fan of movie licences or big name sequels, nor generic FPS games, however good the graphics or the video sequences are.

Hopefully, Revolution will have some innovative control methods and other features, but while remaining fairly mainstream. I think Nintendo has achieved this balance with the Nintendo DS, which is on my wish list (not yet released in Europe), unlike the PSP.

I don't think the DVD player issue or standard media will matter much. Cartridges were a mistake for the N64, but I don't think the GameCube has suffered because of its media choice.

I'm looking forward to the surprises Nintendo has in store with Revolution and I don't think any of us will be able to predict what they have up their sleeves. It's funny, Nintendo is so much like Apple - both innovative and stubborn companies that make bad mistakes but have a loyal fan base and are somehow always destined to be at the niche end of the market... (not always that way for Nintendo of course ;) )
  7. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

Nov 4, 2004
    San Diego
    It was my impression that the mini dvd disc media on gamecube was a success from a business stand point by reducing piracy. If revolution takes up either bluray or HD-DVD, they can keep their propriety disks without losing too much capacity. I think it would be a mistake for nintendo to use DVD disks when sony has announced they will use BluRay. They need to avoid being labeled the lesser system on launch no matter how innovative their machine is.
  8. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    quite a few big messages here, more than my mind can take!

well not really but i am in a rush.

the Nintendo Revolution will be amazing, as we have seen recently with the DS (EVERY nintendo console/handheld has something new to interact or control the game), the revolution will have a multitude of playing input methods.

one of the popular rumors is the DS link-up. another wild rumor is that the GBA2 (yea its funny, PSP fanboys say that Nintendo will die because of the DS, but in actual fact its only a spin-off. like Frasier was to Cheers. DS+Gameboy=seperate) will have a gyroscope feature. allowing for no 'look buttons', for the player to just move the DS around to look and use a D-Pad to walk and a few buttons to shoot.

whereas Sony just put in faster and bigger hardware :rolleyes: instead of trying to innovate gameplay. the PS2 is just a glorified PS2.

not saying nintendo are blameless; Virtual Boy?

but the revloution will have some spectacular new features. wireless controllers is a certainty. but thats not innovation, just evolution.
  9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    HD-DVD and Blu-ray are the two competing standards. Sony owns Blu-ray, MS is going for HD-DVD. I believe Nintendo will use HD-DVD as well.
  10. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2005
    I do not agree about Nintendo Revolution beeing "All That". Don't you realize that maybe the mini disk did reduce piracy but also harm the company. What is the most popular O/S in the world ? Windows. Why ? because it's the most pirate one. The success of microsoft is based of piracy.

Nintendo is on a downfall. It will again finish dead last in the console war just like it did this generation. Nintendo should stick at what they do best : Developping software. Nintendo is surviving because of his handheld market. They lost almost all 3rd party support and will continue to do so. The age group for nintendo will be 6-14 years.

I once had a Famicon (nintendo 8 bits) and it was the best. Duck Hunt / Mario Bros / Contra. Who haven't played thoses classics. Since N64, when they decided not to follow Sony advice and used CD instead of cartridge, They went dowhill. The gaming industry has change and Nintendo is not following the right path.

Until I see extreme changes in Nintendo philosophy, I will no longer supported their product.
  11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    I have read almost every rumor out there.
    The one I believe the most is leaked from a Nintendo employee to a friend of his that posted it, and who also stated to take it with a grain of salt as the guy has had about a 60% track record on correctness in the past.

Out of everything I've read, here are the predictions I will make myself:

1) Gyroscopic controllers are almost a certainty. Almost every rumor says this, and Nintendo even made a contract with a gyroscope controller. There are gyroscopic mouses out there, so a gyroscopic controller will give the players the CONTROL OF A KEYBOARD AND MOUSE. That will be incredible for FPS games, and as a result, I believe the Revolution will be the FPS platform of choice. Metroid Prime 3, baby!!!

Steering by tilting a controller would also be incredible, making the Revolution the system of choice for racing (unless Gran Turismo 5 is really, really good for PS3- either way, XBox 2 gets slaughtered on racing).

2) The Revolution will use HD-DVD rather than Blu-ray.

3) The Revolution will connect to the DS. Ignore the rumors that it'll connect to the next GameBoy. It's been specificly stated by the head of Nintendo marketting that it WILL connect to the DS, and that players would "need extra hardware" to connect to the GameCube.

4) Built in 802.11 wireless. See point 3- if players need extra hardware to connect the DS to the GameCube according to official Nintendo statements, and DON'T need extra hardware for the Revolution, the Rev. must therefore have wireless built in. I figured this out without the rumors, but this fits well with the leaks that also claimed built in wireless.

Wireless would be quite cool for LAN parties.

5) Internet out of the box with 802.11b and possibly ethernet.
    From Nintendo's statements about what they learned from the GameCube, and the fact that they're coming out with a DS online service before the year ends, I agree with the rumors that the Rev will have online play out of the box. However, Nintendo has said that they will be designing the Revolution about long-distance multiplayer but will not follow the online model. What this means, I am not sure. Perhaps there will be no subscriptions like XBox Live? Will they use tunnelling so people can join in LAN parties?

6) Some other really cool feature we know nothing about.

7) A great software lineup. It was stated that Nintendo has learned from their mistakes with the GameCube and Nintendo DS that they need a good software lineup. The leak states that they will have a Mario game (Mario 128? a SM64 successor), a Zelda game (w00t), and a Super Smash Bros game (SSBM was the best-selling GameCube game of all time, and SSB was the best-selling N64 game, makes sense).

maybe 8) I'm on the fence for this one, but according to the leak, it will have a 15 GB hard drive. It'd be cool though.

And NO TOUCH SCREENS ON THE CONTROLLERS. Possibly a touch pad but I doubt it. But NO TOUCH SCREEN.

If my predictions above are true:

1) The PlayStation 3 will have the best graphics. Graphicaholics will buy PS3.

2) The XBox 2, as we know, will be the first to the market. As a result, they will snatch up a lot of Halo fans. BUT, being first to the market (and not having the hard drive the original model had!) it will likely have the weakest graphics, or at least on par with the Revolution (remember, the Revolution might have slightly weaker specs made up for with revolutionary features- but since its coming out later, it will probably have good specs compared to the XBox 2).

The XBox was popular for having the best graphics, best FPS control (dual triggers), and a hard drive.
    The XBox 2 will have weaker graphics (possibly the weakest), not as good FPS control as the Revolution, and no hard drive.

It's only hope is that it can snatch up all the early adopters, because it will get STOMPTED by the other consoles.

3) The Nintendo Revolution will have the revolutionary gameplay, incredible FPS control, possibly the hard drive like the XBox 1, and good graphics. It will get the gameplayaholics like me.

So unless MS gets really lucky, I predict the people who want a new experience and great control will go Revolution, the people who want tip-top graphics will go PS3, and the XBox 2 will get stomped by both. MS might very well drop out of the console market since they made such a big loss on the first 'box.

HOWEVER, if Nintendo screws up with the Revolution, they will get burned alive and completely stomped.

I think Nintendo's future in the console market depends on the Revolution. If the Revolution fails miserably, Nintendo will stop making consoles and stick with handhelds and make games for other consoles.
  12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004

Nintendo is under new leadership, new CEO, new marketting head, etc, and HAS changed their philosophy. They have also acknowledged their mistakes (not going to CD, not supporting online play) and intend to fix it with the Revolution. Read the interviews, and give them another chance.

I have to say, though, that I am a proud GameCube owner and would not trade it for an XBox or PS2. Any day. Ever.

Zelda: The Wind Waker and Metroid Prime and Super Smash Bros Melee and even Super Mario Sunshine are just INCREDIBLE games. Sure, SMS has a childish theme, but the graphics and particle effects and water are amazing, beating even newer XBox games. Wind Waker is unmatched- I have never played a better game. Metroid Prime rules. Super Smash Bros is the best party game ever.

Nintendo games simply own.
  13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Actually no. Mario Kart has several locked multiplayer tracks, however they're not advertised, so you don't know they exist until you unlock them. And they're really easy to get.
    They also have Gyro mouses.
  14. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2005
    Are you kidding me ? You are serious ? Nothing like a little "Microsoft hate" on a Mac website.

I just have a few question ? how many mario game do we really need ? Nintendo has milked those franchise since forever. They need something new. They have been rehashing the same thing over and over. Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, Zelda WW and all other Nintendo first party title could not sell hardware. What does that tell you ?

Trust me on this. PS3 will only have a sligh advantage graphicly over xbox2. Why ? Because ATI R520 GPU is owning Nvidia's GPU anyday.

Microsoft will not get out of the console business. If you think so, it's that you never understood why MS has decided to invest in that business in the 1st place : It's to enter people's living room with Multipurpose Multimedia appliance. It's an extension of Windows Media PC. This is where the "niche" of the market is. Not only Microsoft has understood this but Sony did too.

This is where nintendo will fail. My prediction is this is last Nintendo gaming console.
  15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    It's time for the Nintendo-haters fanboy rant.
    Because of BAD DEVELOPER SUPPORT. Nintendo made stupid mistakes with developers and caused them to move to other platforms. They've already announced that they're trying to rectify this and bring developers back. In fact, they called the Nintendo DS the "Developers System" (DS) when it was announced.
    Depends what the Cell is capable of. Those APU's are SUPER optimized for 3d rendering.

And here's another fanboy claim of yours. NVidia and ATi's top GPU's are about equal, depending on the game. Neither owns the other. Pull out Doom 3 (with NVidias superior OpenGL and shader support) with AA on max, and watch out the NVidia Geforce 6800 Ultra completely owns the X800 by so much that its not even funny. Do the same thing on UT2k4, the X800 wins by a bit.

"ATI is owning NVidia"? I disagree.
    Besides, the XBox 1 uses an NVidia card, GameCube uses ATi...hmmm :p

EDIT: Just to back up my claim.
    3d Mark 05: NVidia wins.
    UT2k4 with max settings: NVidia wins.
    UT2k4 with low settings: ATi wins, barely (2 fps).
    Call of Duty: NVidia wins.
    Doom 3: NVidia wins.
    Far Cry: NVidia wins by a landslide.

On the other hand, in Battlefield Vietnam or MS Flight Simulator 2004, ATi takes the cake.
    Conclusion: ATi does NOT 'own' NVidia. The cards are evenly matched. NVidia generally wins at the ultra highest quality settings while ATi gets the fastest FPS on medium-to-low settings. Depends on the game. NEITHER KICKS THE OTHER ONES REAR!

I remember reading that MS would drop out of the console market if the XBox 2 took a big loss like the first did.
    You're saying that even if both systems took massive losses they'd still keep at it? lol.

Interesting post.
    And absolutely no reason for this prediction, right?
    Even if the Revolution IS revolutionary, and my predictions are correct and it IS that astoundingly good, you just say "it will fail" because its Nintendo.

That proves that you're just being a fanboy here. My post makes sense:
    If Nintendo does the Revolution right and it IS this good, they'll take the cake for FPS and racing games and get quite a big market. XBox, losing all its advantages, gets slaughtered. If they FAIL to deliver, Nintendo gets crushed.

Your post? LOL
    You counter none of my points. Your entire post is mostly,
    "OMG N1nt3nd0 suxx0rz, Microsoft would not get out of the console system if they took a big loss twice in a row but Nintendo would, you have no grasp on reality, blah blah blah!!!!"

Yawn. Take a debating class or something.
  16. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    While Nintendo is in thirsd place for consoles in North America, it is way ahead of the XBox in Japan, which is a huge market. It is also, if I recall, very close or ahead of MS in Europe.

Sure, things LOOK bad for them now in terms of units out there HERE, but realistically, they are doing well overall. They were the first to make a profit on the actual hardware, and continue to make money on the GC.

The NR will have some innovative features, as mentioned, but I think that what is going to make or break the system is, as always with Nintendo, the first party titles. IF they launch a good Mario and Zelda title within the first year they will make it alright.

To the folks who say that they've milked mario and zelda enough, well, DUH. It's not like any of the Mario or Zelda games are direct sequels to the previous ones (well, not for more than 2 or 3 games in a row), they are just name brands that they use to showcase a new game!

Do you think that Sony has milked the PS enough yet?! I mean, c'mon, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PSone, PlayStation Portable, and now a PlayStation 3?! Get original! Oh, wait, none of those systems are the same (sans PS and PSone), they are just capitalizing on name brands.

I'm assuming/hoping for wireless internet built in with support for online play of ALL multiplayer games. Rather than go the XBox route, I think they need to just setup a system such that any game capable of multisystem play can be played online by entering in the IP of a friend(s) with that same game booted up. Should also allow for playing games with one disc, assuming you can play multiplayer on the same console, kind of like the DS supports.

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Both of those things are rumored and the wireless is very likely from statements fro Nintendo :D see my post.
  18. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

Nov 4, 2004
    San Diego
    I really can't see how Nintendo will fail miserably with Revolution. They have been "profitable" in the gaming business for a long time and I believe they will correct all the mistakes they made with gamecube. One of the mistakes I think was not including a HD, or other mass storage device. Otherwise, I totally agree with your predictions and conclusion.
  19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Well, if Nintendo was to fail, they'd have to do something really bad.

Let's see...if they combined each and every mistake they made with each and every previous console and handheld...

No wireless, no internet connectivity (think GameCube), terrible launch lineup (think the DS's launch lineup, one Mario game and nothing else from Nintendo, no Zelda game or Metroid game even 4 months after launch), no HD, some proprietary nobody-uses-it format for disks, and if there turn out to be almost no truly 'revolutionary' features...
    Well...then it would fail.

But Nintendo has a pretty good shot, and as long as they don't do something incredibly stupid... :D they should do fine.

What do you guys think of HD-DVD vs Blu-ray?

It's very similar to VHS vs Betamax. Blu-ray is Sony-owned, HD-DVD is made by Toshiba, NEC, and Sanyo.

IIRC, Disney, Dell, EA, HP, Dolby, Panasonic, Hitachi, and a ton of other companies are backing Blu-ray while Toshiba, Pixar, Warner Bros, Paramount, Dreamworks, Universal, and a ton of other companies are backing HD-DVD.

The major differences:
    Blu-ray disks carry 45 GB, but are produced differently (requiring different factories) and are thus more expensive to make.

HD-DVD disks carry 30 GB but can be produced at current plants.

The 45 and 30 GB figures are assuming dual layer, but tri-layer disks are being developed. They also were able to make the third layer a DVD layer, so you get a Blu-ray or HD disk in a BR or HD player, and see a DVD when you put it in a DVD player. Or they could just put more for the BR or HD layers.

It seems Sony would go Blu-ray and MS and Nintendo would go HD-DVD.

Who are you rooting for for the final standard?
  20. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2005
    We will see in 2006 who will be right. I do believe that Nintendo will be last in the console war next generation. I gave numerous reason why nintendo will fail. N64 failed, Gamecube failed too, I haven't seen any concrete information been available that would make me thing otherwise for the next generation.

I remember 4 years ago, everybody laugh at Micrososft when they announce the xbox. Look where they are in the market now. They predicted that no north american company could ever success in the console gaming business. Of course they know xbox wouldn't make money. It was to test the market, prepare the infrastructure, understanding the industry before launching the product they wanted in the 1st place : "Xenon".

I'm not a fanboy, I've work in the gaming industry for 3 years. I own all 3 console at home. I think my co-workers and friend has played more then I did with my gamecube. I bought MP and Zelda. That is it. It's not because I have something against Nintendo. They have brought so many great memory in the past.

I will be waiting patiently for the E3 to see what they call "Revolution". Like I said so many times before, The gaming industry has change so much. Gamers are now 20-35 years old. Gamers are more and more inform now. They read numerous reviews before buying. This is where Nintendo hasn't change. They think they could make another game with the name Zelda and Mario and that it will sell hardware.

Their lack of supporting the online community has played against Nintendo. They still claim today that they believe in the "Single player" experience. They have lost 5 years of experience in maintaining and operating an online infrastructure. They will be so far behind.

Now I do believe that Nintendo has the power to turn the tides around. They need dramatic changes in the company upper management. As long as they continue to attack the market conservativly, they will not gain share in the market. They have major talents and creativity working for Nintendo and they need to use that advantage by offering what the GAMERS wants, not what they think they want. If gamers wants online, give them online. If they want a HD-DVD player, give it to them.

I might be a bit harsh against Nintendo but it's time for tough love. They need to go above and beyond to gain my love again. If they do come up with something revolutionary, like they claim to be, I will be the 1st one in line to buy Nintendo Revolution.
  21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    I've got to dispute this.
    The GameCube did NOT fail. It only appears that.
    Firstly, it has a higher market share in Japan, near the top.

But more importantly...
    The XBox has the top market share in North America. BUT MS TOOK A LOSS. Even the MASSIVE Halo 2 frenzy only let them temporarily BREAK EVEN. Nintendo got a *considerable* profit on the GameCube (only losing on the market share chart for North America), but Microsoft took a considerable LOSS.

And especially considering the fact that Nintendo has acknoledged their mistakes and plan on correcting them (the biggest mistake was no online play), means I don't agree with your reasoning that the Revolution will fail because the GC and N64 'failed' (despite the fact that they made a profit).

'Numerous reasons' isn't accurrate- your only reason was because Nintendo would fail because they did last time.

But yeah, we'll see in May.
    And again, Nintendo has decided to target an older audience and acknowledged it as one of their mistakes.
    Another one of their mistakes they acknowledged and intent to correct witht he Revolution. Their online service will be rolled out for the DS and be ready at the Revolution's launch.

As I said!
    They have completely revamped the upper management. New head of marketting, NEW CEO. They're targetting an older audience. They're changing their strategy and planning for online multiplayer out of the box.

Nintendo is doing exactly what you say they need to do to turn the tides. Give them a little slack for that.
  22. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    What Nintendo needs to do:

- Reach out to the new older audience. The games can still reach everyone even kids, but they need some sort of appeal. Sports games are an example. The new Zelda and Metroid Prime are also good examples where the game can be fun for everyone, but still have appeal for the 20+ year old male. This can help bring back the third party support.

- Keep the controller cheap. People are fantasizing about a touchsreen. That's a no-no. Nintendo cannot go over $35 a controller without getting scrutinized. No company will shoot themselves in the foot like that. I'm expecting something more revolutionary than a gyroscope controller and VR headset though.

- Go online. The DS soon will according to rumors. I'm sure Revolution will follow along. Be like Live, but better. It can be done.

- Get back that third party support. Exclusives or special incentives for the gamers. Resident Evil 4, Soul Calibur II, and NBA Street Vol. 3 are good examples of a little incentive for Nintendo's gamers. RE4 came out earlier for the GameCube than PS2, SCII included Link as a special character, and NBA Street includes a special Nintendo team.

- Use HD-DVD. BluRay is probably out of the question, but the GameCube disc showed its age in a couple of years. Movies had to be compressed and looked inferior. Games needed more space but the GameCube's disc did not provide it. Even if it opens itself to piracy, it just might sell more consoles. I know of plenty of PS2 owners with at least one pirated game. It may have helped Sony sell more consoles.

Read this article. The last sentence is what answers the question about what made Nintendo a weak competitor. They need to show they learned their lesson.

E3 is coming in May. Nintendo better answer our prayers by then, or the future is bleak for gaming.
  23. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

Nov 4, 2004
    San Diego
    I was mainly thinking that even if they only get half of the rumors you mentioned, it will still be an impressive system. I would hope that Nintendo is aware of how important this launch is for them and that they need to get it right. If Nintendo does mess up, it wouldn't be the first time. I just don't think it will be the last time either.

From what I have heard, HD-DVD is cheaper. Cheaper to make, so that translates cheaper to consumers. I have not heard very much about what use this added capacity is going to be used for. I know more space is better but what can you do with 45 GB that you can't do with 30 GB? Is there a huge demand for anything close to that amount of capacity in the gaming industry?
  24. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2005
    I've notice alot of arguments that always come back is "Profitability". Don't you know that MS launch the xbox with losing money on purpose ? It was the plan. They are a new comer and needed to learn the business. I think they did pretty good.

I do not care about Japan. sorry don't mean to be so harsh. I live in North America. I want product that fullfill the need of a North American. Fine if they sell in Japan, They are a japanese company.

I will praise Nintendo again the day they show me proof of deep changes. E3 is only 1.5 month away and I can't wait. I will be reading forums and website none-stop for 3 days.
  25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    And I only listed half the rumors out there, as well :) There's also the one about attachments for older systems (think the GBA player for the GameCube, except you could get ones for SNES and N64 and NES games...), and one about touch sensitive 'rumble strips' so you get different types of feedback, and one that says it will not connect to the DS but to the next gen GameBoy. And tons more. :)