Nintendo revolution specs leaked

Discussion in 'Games' started by Symtex, Jun 10, 2005.

1. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

I doubt they are true, because I doubt Nintendo will use an off the shelf PPC 970, when they used a custom PPC chip in the Gamecube. Even if the specs are true, its certainly no slough spec wise. And I'm in it for the games not some spec war based on p***s envy.

2. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Hardly surprising that it's not that fast, given how much smaller it is than the other consoles, and Nintendo's recent focus on things other than specs; I'm actually surprised it's even that powerful.

3. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

If it's as small as I think it is, how are they getting two G5s in there? Surely they aren't the same G5 that are in the current Macs... Though I guess the iMac takes the G5 alright, so I don't know.

MP

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think that will be the minimal specs, especially considering the Rev is still more than 12 months away.

it all sounds very reasonable.

i think it'd be best if Nintendo (or its leakers!) kept numbers secret. even if it is miles more powerful than its competitors. would have a "we're not sinking to Sony/M$ levels, lets see them compare to gameplay" or something noble and poetic.

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

link doesn't work but i found another link where (i suspect) the same specs were posted:

seriously they are much closer to real specs than others posted efore but i have my doubts ... a panasonic drive ? aren't they a member of the blue ray disc group ?

and of course the whole "calling them G5" makes it unbelievable as well
    nintedo is very likly going with a customized cpu design again like the gekko was and going for relativly high bandwidths between the components

but i found the specs on the graphics card on nthe same level like the xbox 360 for example (600 vs 500 mhz right ? 12 to 10 mb embedded ? ) dediated sound bandwidth ? not bad either
    and the 1T SRAM isn't the worst either

looking at what the gamecube could put out at graphics it doesn't sound bad to me .. if true it could easily put out a lot nicer graphics on my TV(or computer screen)
    overall (except the 3 core cpu perhaps) the hardware seems pretty close to that of the xbox360 .. but it is yet to see what "customized powerpc cpu" the gamecube will get .. if it doesn't look powerfull to you, then please look at the numbers of the xbox they are not so different after all (if they are true ;) )
    neither is underpowerd, but it's gonna get interesting with sony ambition with linux on harddisk for PS3 etc. interesting times ahead full of marketing anouncements

if a pic of the controller would have been a lot more interesting

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

other idea: could it be that this specs are something like (alpha)dev-kits ?just like those customized powermacs microsoft shipped ? that would kinda explain the 2 G5 mentioned

that aside after thinking about it while typing the previous post i thought "6GB propitary 12 cm optical disk, that sounds typical nintendo".. so am yet again split about the panasonic thing

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

That's what I was thinking... these sound like some kind of dev box specs... I am pretty sure it's been announced that the chip in the Rev will be a custom PPC chip somewhat similar to the XBox360's.

8. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

I read somewhere, they are still designing the controller. If I can find where it was, I'll post it.

J

9. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Lost credibility when they said "PC code to mac code"... uh-huh.

10. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

I think it'll be better than that... A 6GB dual-layer HD DVD's? Even current DL DVD's are 8.5 GB. At least GC uses standard mini-DVD's, even if they do spin backwards.

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

...why would the disks max out at 6 GB dual layer when Nintendo already said it can read DVD-9's (8.5 GB?)

I could see a proprietary 8cm 6 GB disk, but not 12 cm when it reads 8.5 GB 12 cm disks according to Nintendo.

Definitely fake. It's also using the exact same numbers as the old rumor (posted about this time...LAST year), which also was dual 1.8 w/600 MHz graphics chip.

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It was a misinterpretation. I read it too, but if you read the quote they got it from all they said was that the controller wasn't finalized and they were just deciding on some extra features- the EXACT same thing that Microsoft says about the XBox 360 on the web site, if you read the small text.

13. gco212 macrumors 6502

I like the part where it says that "the two 1.8 GHz processors combine for 3.6 GHz", it just doesn't work that way.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm trying to figure out what the heck a 3:1 processor to RAM ratio is. And what a 1:1 GPU to RAM ratio is.

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i think they meant the mhz ratios like cpu 1.8 hz 128 mb memory 600 mhz
    graphics chip 600 mhz - 128 mb main memory 600 mhz

never heard of such ratios used as sepcs either

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

17. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Another thing I noticed is the increase in the FSB to 1200 Mhz. Current G5's are half the clock speed of the processor so a 1.8 Ghz machine would have a 900 Mhz FSB.

18. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Noticed that aswell!

19. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'd be pretty surprised if that is true...

I dont think nintendo would announce / leak that they have a "G5." That's a mac-term. However, the rest of it seems semi-legit.

I think the final revolution specs are going to look A LOT like gamecubes w/ more features and faster clock speeds and more memory, etc etc. But architecture wise, I think it will look like gamecube, that way it won't need to emulate gamecube games. It can just play them natively. That's my prediction. We shall see.

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I do want to point out, however, that the XBox 360 is running three 3.2 GHz PowerPC's...that only do two instructions per clock cycle and are only in-order (which also has a big performance impact IIRC).

A dual 1.8 GHz G5 system would *probably* be comparable. It might lose in some ways and do better in other ways. But a dual 1.8 GHz G5 would also cost a ton and be big and hot, which is why it's highly unlikely thats in the Revolution.

Just wanted to point this out to the original poster ("Doesn't look that powerful to me").