Nintendo speculation

Discussion in 'Games' started by Sol, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

No links here. I just want to share a few comments about Nintendo.

First of all, I wish there were more DS games. I can understand a slim library at launch but it has been a few months now and the releases have been sparse. Waiting for the killer apps like Metroid Hunters, Nintendogs and Mario Kart DS feels like an eternity.

Speaking of Mario Kart DS, how will it get online? I hope we will not have to hang around EB stores or something like that. Ideally the Nintendo DS will connect to its servers through Airport on my Mac. I read something about a USB adaptor so fingers crossed that Nintendo will support OS X.

GBA compatibility on the DS feels like a mistake. Don't get me wrong, the screens of the DS are much sharper, brighter and colourful than the GBA SP and I am enjoying re-playing older games just to see them at their best. I think it was a mistake to make the DS backwards compatible for two reasons. First, the DS is supposed to be the third line of Nintendo's consoles, not GBA 2. If Nintendo really wanted to make that point they would not include this compatibility. They probably realised how thin the DS games library would be in the months following the launch so they added this feature as a temporary solution. Second, the DS is bulky enough as it is so taking away all the GBA components would make it slimmer. I suspect that at some point a re-designed DS will come out that excludes the GBA components, just like GB compatibility was taken out of the GameBoy Micro.

Speaking of the Micro, when will it be released? The screen is supposed to be better than the DS's, the price will be low and it would easily fit into my pants' pockets. I hope it comes out soon.

There is supposed to be a GBA 2 in the future and I look forward to GC-class graphics on that. It should feature a hard drive so that games, video and audio files can be stored on it. Think an iPod for games.

I am still wondering what the Revolution's controller will be. My best guess is that it will be a touch-pad or a track-ball with force feedback. For playing the older games we will need GC controllers; there are four such ports on the Revolution prototype.

Nintendo may be waiting for Microsoft and SONY hype to calm down before revealing their products. They know that their consoles are going to be compared and they would want to look the best from this comparison.

The Revolution could be great but I think portable games will be the most innovative for the next ten years. Once getting online becomes accessible to most DS and PSP players their consoles will start gathering dust. My GC will probably gather dust when I get my hands on the DS games mentioned above.

2. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

One must remember that the GBA slot on the DS is not only for backwards compatibility. It's also for accessory use. For example, if Nintendo decided to released a new "Gameboy Camera", it'd use the GBA slot.

3. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Except the "Gameboy Camera" would suggest the DS is another "Gameboy" ;)

4. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

and then your DS will be gathering dust when twilight princess is released in november. its summer and there is a drought in good games right now. patience is the only thing that keeps the hardcore gamer from getting fired from their job. i would suggest picking up some bargain bin games that you never played for the cube just to expand your gaming experience.

now the revolution - i think nintendo might be on to something big. and i think they have something up their sleeves that'll suprise every gamer out there. the key for ninty is to wait for just the right time to announce what it will be. has the game developers conference occured yet?

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Also the GBA processor in the DS is used for 2D rendering and I/O (touch screen, sound, mic). They don't offer GBC compatibility because of room. The DS is also touted as a dual processor handheld on Nintendo's site. Nintendo's handhelds are bulky because they don't have the fragility of other handhelds (aka PSP). I've heard an account of someone dropping their PSP 3 feet and having the screen shatter.

Online will most likely work like Halo or quake 3. People start servers on their end or you can look for servers. The DS has standard 802.11 in it so it will go ahead and connect to wireless routers when the games come out and use Infrastructure (compared to games only supporting ad-hoc now).

6. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

DS: I'm eagerly anticipating EA's second crack at the handheld. I'm a sports game nut, and madden/tiger woods will keep me entertained for hundreds of hours. I bought mine too early. Anyone who hasn't gotten a DS yet, wait until next fall. The price will fall to $99 and there will be 15-20 AAA titles available by then. Oh yeah if you haven't played Zelda: Minish Cap, go buy it today. One of the top three zelda's of all time on any system.

Revolution: I've been following this one for about 6 months. I frequent Mozlapunk, and read Aries and now King Dea. There are soooo many rumors that it's hard to keep track of them all.

The basics are as follows (not the announced stuff):
    - A technique called "cube mapping" should allow the Revo to output PS3 quality graphics with a tenth of the horsepower. Everything is basically pre-rendered, then applied to wire frames a la textures in this generation.
    - The controller will include gyro's and squeezeable grips. The gyro's will not be used for aiming in FPS's (not precise enough), but rather used in racing type games. Think about riding the horse in Zelda:Revolution and you'll get the idea. These two innovations will allow you to pick up objects by squeezing and moving the controller.
    - Some rumors say that the Revo will output to multiple displays wirelessly. Thus, two people could play the same game in different rooms with only one Revolution. Perhaps emulated games could be played at the same time. Think excitebike in the kitchen and Ocarina of time in the den. Why else are the controllers wifi and not bluetooth or IR?
    - The famed Nintendo ON might be real. It's a virtual boy 2 that works as an add-on for the Revo.

My own hypothesis:
    - The revolution will be upgradeable. As such, by 2010 the fully upgraded revolution will be the most powerful system from a users perspective. Ninty will win in the gfx department by the end of this new generation.
    - The N-game is real, and is the largest viral marketing campaign ever undertaken. Iwata stated that he was playing a game with us in the E3 press conference. Aries and Dea are not breaking NDA's, but rather are following their parts in the N-game to a T.
    - Not all of what these "whistle-blowers" are saying is true. Much of it is possible, but Nintendo is using the leaks as a chance to gather feedback from the hardcore gaming audience (the type of geeks who follow this stuff, yours truly included)
    - Nintendo knows that they blew this generation. Don't get me wrong, I love the cube. But the sales figures back up my statement. I know they made money, but that's not the point. M$ can continue to lose billions for the next 25 generations if they have to.
    - I won't be surprised if the Revo is revealed in August and released this holiday season with 15 first party games at launch. They've stated that it's the easiest system to develop for. I can't understand why it will be last if this is the case. Also, how do they know that it's so easy if they haven't completed one game yet? My bet is that 5-10 first party titles are already gold and ready.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You appear to be mixing up the rumors.

-The cubemapping claim was from Anonymous Sam/Ace on Mozlapunk. An analysis of the patent proves that he completely misunderstands this. Anonymous Sam has been proven a liar several times, as well. In fact, reading the patent there are no wireframes whatsoever involved. In fact, a search through the actual patent itself quickly reveals that the word wireframe is not even present. In fact, it speaks of using multiple texture maps arranged in a cube for panoramic backgrounds, with a depth map for the illusion of 3D and a fixed camera in the center. It's a glorified Zelda 64 Marketplace with more depth.

-This was stated by Aries and Dea, the only two that have not been effectively disproved so far. Keep an eye on this.
    -Output to multiple displays wirelessly is a possibility, but totally rooted in rumors so far. It fits a number of Ninty statement however.
    - It's not. I've seen enough proof that it was a fan video.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My guess is the GBA port is going to be used for more than just GBA games. part of my guess is the name "Port 2" rather than "GBA Port" or whatever. plus, its expandability. a DS game needs something that isnt built into the DS, ie, solar detector, tilt etc. plug in a free GBA sensor pack and BAM. DS goes further. my guess on the GBA port.

my guess is that the DS will be enabled somehow, via a free DS/GBA cart (or even an update app built into the new games) that update the DS's firmware to have a sort of network mode. just like Pokemons Berry Program to fix the time bug in Ruby/Sapphire. with that activated it will be very simple to get the DS talking through a wireless hotspot.

and on the Revolution. i think we're in for an amazing ride. there are 2 routes which Nintendo could have gone down 1) keep quiet about all details but in such a manner that rumours develop and such, rather like Apple or 2) spill everything and have no surprises left.

anyone else surprised at the big N releasing the new Zelda game so close to their next gen launch?

ps. im back!

9. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Oh, right.

A Rumble Pak for Metroid Prime Pinball has more or less been confirmed by many people...where will it fit in? Slot 2, of course.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The DS already has the full 802.11b hardware; a firmware update is not needed. As long as the individual GAMES support TCP/IP, the DS can go online without a problem.

A firmware update would be another way to do it I suppose but it would seem unneccessary. As long as each game has TCP/IP support, no problem.

11. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

iTunes for DS

Since wi-fi is built-in and the GBA port can host 1 GB flash cards, someone should port Darwin to it so that we can use the DS for controlling Airport Express. Imagine iTunes on the DS, using the touch-screen for browsing my computer's iTunes library and the top screen for album art and visualiser. Sadly I know almost nothing about programming such a thing.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

yea i know the games would easily support it, i'm just going on about full online. like a mini web-browser, hi-score browsing for all games, world rankings/local rankings, chat rooms to organize battles n such etc. its entirely possible.

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Ahhh, very possible, yes.

However, I doubt there is enough built in storage to support all that. It looks like it supports only a very basic firmware. Adding all kinds of apps like a chat room and web browser is iffy. It's possible though.

I'd love to see Nintendo release a cartridge that turns the DS into a PDA, however :D

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Well, they are porting Linux...

15. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Have you played what's out there?

I have the following games:
    - Metroid Prime: Hunters [First Hunt]
    - Kirby's Canvas Curse
    - WarioWare: Touched!
    - Polarium
    - Bomberman
    - Meteos
    - Puyo Pop Fever
    - Super Mario 64 DS

If you've got a friend with DS, half of those games are single-cart multi-player, so you're good to go. :) I've experienced the chaos of multiplayer Meteos myself, and it's seriously insane.

The DS is one of the best multiplayer experiences I've had since Super Bomberman and the multitap.

My understanding is that everything is there for using regular 802.11b/g APs to get the DS online, but that none of the games (to date) support it.

If that comes to be untrue, I'd like to see N do an ethernet-based bridge, so I don't have to use my PC (or drivers or anything else) to get the whole thing online.

This is something that I flat-out disagree with. Being able to cart two games at once is a killer app for me (Zelda in the GBA slot, Meteos in the DS slot ... for now).

Maybe that's just me.

I must be the only one who doesn't really give a damn about the Micro. It seems like a novelty to me and, from the looks of things, is unplayably small. I have a hard enough time with the SP and my moderately large hands.

And, while you're at it, say "Hello" to the death of the GB family battery life monarchy.

One thing I absolutely adore about Nintendo is that they're a gaming company. I don't want a console (or handheld, for that matter) that can do EVERYTHING. I just want it to play games. And I want it to do it well. Nintendo does that.

I'm hearing rumors that it'll basically be the DS, which I'm sort of undecided on.

On the one hand, it'll make games like Four Swords (for the GC) much easier to get into (as everyone will have the requisite controller), but it'll send intial costs through the roof.

I wouldn't mind if they keep the GC controller, myself. The Wavebird is one of the best controllers I've ever used.

There's also the fact that console makers are notorious for dropping announced features to meet Christmas deadlines. If Nintendo doesn't announce a feature, they definitely don't have to retract it somewhere down the road.

I think a mobile market (commuters, students, etc) will drive that more than anything, but I think you're right.

My GC has been collecting dust since I finished Wind Waker a few years ago. We dust it off for rounds of Mario Party or Pac Man vs, but my time for console gamings rapidly approaches zero while school is in session.

That's why my DS stays in my laptop bag ... and always by my side. If I get some time to play, I do. It's just that that time to play is *never* on my couch and within reach of the GC.

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nintendo specificly said they have no intention of making a dual-screened console, so don't worry about that. No touchscreens on the Revolution.

All the evidence points towards gyroscopes.

It should be noted that the Revolution has ports for the GameCube controllers and memory cards so no problem using your wavebird for GC games.

You never played Metroid Prime 2? :eek:

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea its a big deal for me too, my girlfriend was debating over which she should put in her bags pocket before our flight (for quick access i suppose); DS or GBA SP. in the end she chose DS because then she could play (well, i mean lose ;) ) a Hunters deathmatch and carry a spare GBA game in the same machine too. AND pictochat :)
    i also like being able to carry Mario 64 AND Mario Bros 3 around with me in the same machine. thems being 2 of my all time greatest games. rather nice feeling.

as for speculation about the DS and Pokemon (sorry if its a little sidetracked) but has anyone played Pokemon Colosseum? to create all 500 or so pokemon, with full animation and the plethora of moves all for some small RPG and glorified multiplayer battling does make one wonder. especially seeing that the polygon count is low and the textures for the pokemon and effects themselves are relatively simple.
    my guess is that Pokemon DS will have the same 3D battle engine. Top screen=battle, bottom screen=moves and camera control.

using the DS as a Rev controller will definitely happen, i reckon. as a main controller? nope. but as mentioned, for games like Zelda: Four Swords and the likes it will be a fantastic feature.

as for Cube gathering dust... i've recently picked up Windwaker again (got to the last dungeon only for my cheapo non-nintendo memory card to wipe) and its incredible, same for F-Zero a month or 2 ago. its only now im really getting into the Gamecube at a whole new level and im completely in love with it. no dust :D

on another sidenote I just ordered Kirby DS after its amazing reception, and depending on how much i get from an arcade game im developing i'll be shelling out for Nanostray, Bomberman DS and Pokemon Emerald too :)

18. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

News to me. Thanks.

Woud you believe that I preordered it, picked it up, and haven't been able to play it?

I think I've got an hour of MP2:E logged ... and that's it. I'm hoping to spend some time on it between summer and fall terms at school, but you never know. Here's hoping.

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

20. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Add the first Metroid Prime, Pikmin and Pikmin 2 to that list!

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

not to forget the utterly amazing and under-rated F-Zero GX.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

eep! cant believe i didn't see that.

see nintendo have different priorities to other handheld/console makers. during the early GBA years battery life was a major priority which is why the first GBA lasts good on a set of batteries. fast forward 2-3 years and the SP comes out, with new technologies the battery life is better than the GBA. and now, look at the DS compared to the PSP (where the PSP sacrificed its battery for discs and better graphics). battery life is very important to Nintendo, and i like it that way. they will not be releasing a portable Cube for a good few years to come until they either change their priorities or new power saving technologies surface.
    but maybe we'll see another 'Treamcast' who knows?

ps. just ordered Nanostray (DS) for just £20, should be here in a few days :) funny. apparently you cant find it for love or for money in the US, and there's been no European launch date announced. but CD-Wow are stocking it cheaper than any other DS game and have stock. tis a mad world :)

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

24. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Didn't think the original Gameboy Camera was that great...

25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

That was ages ago however. The technology has improved.