Nintendo Stars find a use

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

And about bloody time too - you will be able to convert Nintendo Stars into Wii Points! I almost fell off my chair with this. Why? I have 7350 stars :)

Apparently its a 1:1 conversion. Which means my virtual console gaming will be well funded for plenty of time. (edit: the actual ratio is unknown. but I'm wishing for 1:1)

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=70816

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

OK that's feckin sweet, I wonder if theres away of changing the wii shop settings.

edit.. settings :)

Just linked my account... come on nintendo I want me so 8'000 odd points :)

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Wow!! This is awesome news!! I always hoped I'd catch one of the hardware for star deals.

4. MattQiu macrumors member

MattQiu

anyone know how can i start over again?! i've chosen "Do not link my account". i skipped it because i can't remember my password at that time. now here is the news and i think i have more than 3000 points in the account.:( Help...

5. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

6. theman5725 macrumors 6502

Yea I have never heard of Nintendo stars before. Care to elaborate?

7. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yea I think it is a Europe thing, they should do this in the states. I remember I used to get "power coupons" or sumthin' from Nintendo Power. I never used them though.

8. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Basically every time you buy Nintendo hardware or a first party game you get a little voucher like thing with a code on it with which you can register that game on www.nintendo-europe.com and it adds 'stars' to your account. Games give you 250 stars and I think consoles give you 750 or 1000.

You can spend these stars on anything in their star catalogue. Its all crap like screensavers, backgrounds, ring tones, etc. Rubbish stuff. Every now and again though, they have a limited amount of hardware for sale, like 1000 Gameboy SPs for 4000 points or something. I've been collecting them since the early gamecube days and always wanted to get something hardware but always missed it. If we can redeem them for Wii Points then I could at least get something for them.

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the only problem i have with the star catalogue is that you can't get goods if you're not in one of the few countrys on the homepage since they don'T send stuff to adresses elsewhere

i literally have thousands of points but can't use them because i'm in Austria and not in Germany (they still put in the Star coupons in the game packages here)

i hope i can finally use them ..

10. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

The only time I've used Stars was when Nintendo did the whole DS pre-launch thing. 700 stars + 120 quid (damn this keyboard and lack of pound sign) got you a DS 2 weeks before they launched.

Sorta wished they did a similar thing with the Wii :eek:

11. Chrismcfall macrumors 6502

Wow sounds great! I've got 2,240 at the moment, But I still have Zelda, Wii Sports, And the console itself to register. Anybody actually got something from the Star website? I managed to get a Mario Kart DD Keyring I think. I remember them selling gameboy players for the Cube as well, but now they barely sell anything good.

12. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Off topic, but what keyboard are you using, my macbook has £ when I press Shift+3 at the same time.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So does nearly every european keyboard / mac & pc ;)

14. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I just get a dollar sign, same for 4 too. Very strange aye? On Mac side now so it's okay.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

when will we see this star exchage i wonder ?

16. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

this is a tad off topic but is there a difference between quid and a pound? Or is it like saying a dollar and buck?

and what the hell is a stone? "He weighs like 23 stone". Huh? don't you mean pounds or kilo's?

I just talked to my uncle from Manchester on the phone and I can't understand two words he said. I thought English people invented the language? (anyone seen Cousin Avi for Snatch?) :confused:

But! back on topic, this star thing doesn't come over to NA does it? *sigh* That would be a nice way to get some virtual console points because I just can't buy them. If I bought them online, its $19.99 US + Tax in USD. I'm in Canada. How the **** can they charge me GST in US dollars?! so it ends up being ~$22 US which when converted is gonna be about $25-27! :(

17. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I remember when we used to get 43 hectares to the hogshead

18. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I think stone is dying out. I only know my weight in it (9 and a half stone!), but everything else is weighed in grams/kg etc. Just people it seems!

We invented it, thus giving us the right to mess with it :p . Nah the manc accent is mad as. But scouse? or proper Yorkshire? Ross Noble would be so less funny without his Newcastle accent.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Your 9 & half stone ? Ye must be as skinny as a rake or 2 foot tall :p

they still call euro as quid here as we changed from irish pounds to euros.

20. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Jimmi is 133 pounds. Dude... how tall are you?

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

In fairness his weight is average....

for a woman :D

no wonder he doesnt like the 360. It's too heavy to fit in his handbag :p

(sorry jimmi couldnt resist)

22. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

haha, I'm 5'10.

and I'm not that bad! I mean I'm light but I don't look it! I can pinch an inch!

I am a marathon runner after all :p

23. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I really hope they get around to doing this soon, I really don't want to have to pay £10 to play Mario 64. If they do it soon and its a 1:1 ratio then I'll be very happy indeed.

Does anyone remember how much they've sold hardware for before in the stars catalogue? The Game Boy Player and the Game Boy SP? We could potentially work out a rough £/stars ratio. I seem to remember they were selling the Game Boy SP for around 5000 or 4000 stars, something like that.

24. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

25. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Looking at the catalogue now, Age of Empires: The Age of Kings was on there and was selling for 5000 stars which I think has an RRP of £29.99 which puts the value of a star at approximately £0.006. Since 2000 wii points are apparently £14.99, that's approximately 2500 star points for 2000 wii points.

Hmmmm... so maybe they will do a 1:1 conversion rate after all since its not that far off the star point to real money conversion rates they've done in the past.