Nintendo "switchers"

Discussion in 'Games' started by atari1356, May 9, 2006.

1. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

A lot of people on MacRumors are former Windows users who have "switched" to Apple/OS X. Well, there's another crappy Microsoft product that I think deserves switching from... which is the XBox.

I've had a lot of trouble with my XBox not being able to read certain game discs and movies on DVD. It's gotten bad enough recently that I'm really considering just throwing it in the trash.

That frustration, coupled with the fact that the XBox 360 (and PS3) seem way overpriced to me, are steering me toward making a switch to Nintendo for my next gaming system. The innovative controllers for the Wii should provide for some unique and fresh games... whereas the XBox 360 and PS3 may only be rehashed versions of the same old games, just with better graphics.

My last Nintendo system was a SNES - I look forward to switching back, and catching up on some old Nintendo games that I missed out on.

Any other future "switchers" out there? :)

2. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I never left nintendo, gamecube is highly underrated. I can't wait to continue with them into the next gen

3. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

My 360 has'nt given me a problem since day 1, and it ROCKS!... I think its just preference on these next-gen systems. I prefer the 360 on my tv, but prefer the DS over the PSP in handhelds.

4. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Last Nintendo was an N64 but Ive just ordered a DS and I will get a Wii on launch day.

5. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

DS or DS lite?

6. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Same here.
    Nintendo is the only company that I've purchased every console from....haven't had all the handhelds though (skipped Gameboy Color and Gameboy Micro).

7. prophet621 macrumors member

Can't say with any certainty if I will switch or not. I have never owned a Nintendo product, I just never liked any but I am considering getting the DS lite.

Mostly it's the games I don't like, I really don't care for the cartoony or side scrolling games, or arcade type for that matter. Beat them once and I'm bored. It's basically the same game over and over again.

I've already decided not to bother with the PS3 but may get an Xbox 360 but I do want to hear more about the 'revolution' (I refuse to refer to it as wii.. sounds retarded). If the price is reasonable I may buy one for my daughter.

8. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

I've been considering a switch (from the PS) ever since the controllers' features were announced. The new name kinda held me back for a while, but the promise of a next-gen Zelda (I haven't played a Zelda since OT) is just too hard to resist this time around. But maybe I won't need to switch, I think I might just buy all three consoles :cool:

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I never wandered. Nothing on Sony's side pulled me from my cosy Nintendo playing.

10. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I was a Sega kid (Alex Kidd in Miracle World!), and left the market after the Genesis. When I came back, I ws attracted to the GC for the dame reason I was to Apple products. Simple lines, did what I needed, didn't break, fun, just worked.

11. boncellis macrumors 6502

boncellis

Just from what I've been able to glean from E3 coverage, I'm much more excited about the Wii than the PS3. I grew up with Nintendo, but haven't had a console in about 10 years, so I was tuned in to see what caught my fancy. I tend to agree with what nbs2 says about Nintendo being attractive the same way that Apple is, and for me the similarity seems to stem from the end user experience more than anything else.

The PS3 has the more impressive hardware specifications, certainly, and I have little doubt that it will hold up for 4+ years...but there's just something about the Wii that looks like more fun. The PS3 might be a good all-in-one piece of equipment, but that's not really what I'm about. Something tells me the Wii will have a serious cult following, even if it's relegated to 3rd place again. The good news is Nintendo likely won't get hurt by average sales because they know how to keep their costs down. One thing I can't figure out is why the Wii wouldn't support HD resolution...it's no longer the future, it's the present. To me, that's the only thing missing.

So I suppose I'm switching back to Nintendo despite not really ever having left.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Never left nintendo......matter of fact i'm with all the consoles...and i stand by all of em cuz they are great.

Bless

13. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

As far as I'm concerned the analogy of 'Switchers' does not apply to Nintendo. I mean, who here didn't at least have an NES growing up??

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I never left Nintendo, though I did get PS2 in addition solely for Kingdom Hearts and Burnout 3. Nothing wrong with that.

I was planning to get a PS3 a year or two after launch, but after this new pricing announcement, the fact that I'm genuinely not interested in any of the games announced so far, and Nintendo's mind-blowing conference I attended today, I've lost interest.

15. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I sure did switch... Away from Nintendo. The PS 3 grabbed me with titles like Twisted Metal, Metal Gear Solid, Bloody Roar, Street Fighter Alpha series, Armored Core, and CastleVania: Symphony of the Night. I never looked back. I bought a dreamcast, which only lasted 3 days before I sold it again, then bought an Xbox, and loved a lot of games on that (Specifically Halo/2, and DOA among others).

I got a gamecube for christmas 2004 and was very unimpressed. Rented about 12 games over the month, bought a couple, and then sold it at the beginning of that Feb.

I now have a PS2, xbox, Xbox 360 and had also owned a modded xbox with an Xcuter 3 chip and Xbox Media Center dash on that. I might be getting another xbox to mod soon. I'll be getting a PS3 when it comes out. Nintendo's lack of concern for games with a lot of depth has driven me away.

So, no, I won't be switching back any time soon.

16. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

There is one game that forces me to buy a new Nintendo system when it is released: Mario Kart. My wife and I play it for hours on end, whether it be bananna dueling, trying to race red shells or other crazy stunts the game is always a blast. Other than that, I can't say I'm all that happy with the other two-player games for Nintendo (Mario Tennis was ok and Smash Bros. is pretty fun...especially when playing Big Band music in the background, bar fight style).

I grew up on Nintendo and I've always enjoyed their games...I just hope a Mario Dodgeball is in the works sometime soon. :D

Right, back to the question...count me in as long as Mario Kart and other crazy equivalents come along for the ride. :)

17. atari1356 thread starter macrumors 68000

atari1356

I see your point, but in my case at least I feel like I'm switching back. I chose to buy an XBox for my previous console instead of a GameCube or PS2... I wish I had purchased the GameCube instead since the Xbox is such a complete piece of junk (well, mine is at least... I'll never buy another Microsoft product).

18. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

I had a GameCube. I sold it and bought an Xbox when I found out Rare was sold to Microsoft. There weren't any FPS games for GCN at the time so I bought an Xbox. Ended up with one that scratched my games. Sold that and bought another Gamecube. Thing has problems playing 1P games so I'm looking forward to a Wii.

Xbox 360 and PS3 are completely out of my price range by several hundred dollars. The games, too. $60 to not take advantage of HD on my SD set? No, thank you.

Also, Wii will give me an easy system to for my friends to pick up and play with me. This feature was a huge asset to play with my friends on GC with games like Mario Soccer and Mario Kart. Just pick up and play. No need to own the system to be good at it.

19. prophet621 macrumors member

I didn't have one. Had practically every other game system but never Nintendo. Off hand I can think of two Nintendo games I really liked (sure there are more but can't think of any... NOT Zelda or Mario) Goldeneye and the origional Punch Out!

Took Genesis over SNES, PS1 over N64 and both Xbox and PS2 over GC. I may very well buy 'revolution' (will not call it Wii) but it depends on price and games.

20. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I hear that. To be honest the gaming console industry isn't nearly as territorial as the Operating System Loyalties that we abide by. I still think a PS2 is something I'm going to get (just so many good games). But I want to get reacquainted with my Gamecube when I move back to the States. I'm soo glad I got a DS when I was home for xmas. It's a wonderful waste of time :)

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Speaking of buggy Microsoft products, all the Macs in the E3 Media Lounge were used so I grabbed a Windows PC. Spent an hour there, then suddenly at random, FireFox locked up and I got a Blue Screen of Death. Immediately following that, the BSOD locked up and didn't dump the memory or restart. I lifted the monitor up and all the nerds crowded around and started taking pictures (I'll post later). Was hilarious.

I'm at an iMac G5 now :D

22. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'm pre-ordering the day they go on pre-order!