Nintendo... Why have you forsaken us?

Discussion in 'Games' started by bigjimbob, Dec 13, 2006.

1. bigjimbob macrumors member

I finally have broadband (well have for a little while but I now have an internet-enabled console) and I have my Wii.... I want to play online against people - when will I be able to do this..

I don't know why they didn't make Wii sports multiplayer - imagine setting up online tennis tournaments, or golf thingies... they would be awesome.

plus i want to kill things (read: other people) - when will Zelda be multiplayer, or Mario Kart (strictly not killing.. lost my train of thought)..

Oh why have you abandoned us so Nintendo? I have another 20 hours worth of Zelda play before I finish and then what do I have other then a broken heart...

NINTENDO WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?

2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Slightly rushed to the market - they're probably still building up their server farm

3. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

I hate to be a jerk, but I have to disagree with everything you said.

Wii Sports online? I personally would never play it. The best part of Wii Sports is getting a bunch of people together and playing together in the same room. Seems to me playing in a room by yourself, even when connected to others, would kill a lot of the fun.

Multiplayer Zelda battle? No...just..no. Four swords co-op is one thing, because your solving puzzles together, which is the main draw of any Zelda game. Speaking of which, I remember another single-player Nintendo franchise where they added a multiplayer mode no one used. Something like Metroid Prime 2, I think it was called.

Finally, Mario Kart online? Yeah, did that the other day on the DS. Nothing new.

Besides, Wii has been out for what, not even a month. Have patience, great games take time to make.

4. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Get some of your friends and play Rayman in the meantime.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Wasnt the reason for Metroid's delay from launch to march/april put down to the addition of online multiplayer ?

6. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

I hope not. Granted, Metroid Prime: Hunters was a good game, but it was really just a portable UT with Samus and some new characters thrown in. The multiplayer in MP2 felt completely like a tacked on failed attempt at multiplayer.

Now, if they did add multiplayer to MP3, but kept it completely seperate from the single player, perhaps even going so far as to bring in the team that designed MPH, that could be OK. But the way I see it, multiplayer additions are for games where the point of single player is defeating computer enemies. Multiplayer just takes the computer out and puts in human players. The problem is, in the case of both Zelda and Metroid, the point of single player isn't fighting so much as it is puzzles/exploration, making competitive multiplayer additions feel almost forced.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wait?! You're telling me the Metroid game designed for single player had a bad multi player? and the Metroid game designed for multi player had a bad single player?

I'd like something a little more than MP2's multiplayer (more maps for one!) in Prime 3 with online. And for Retro/Whoever to produce a Prime Hunters Wii. With that controller? Bloomin lovely. could be the fastest paced console FPS since... SINCE!

8. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

There was an article on IGN awhile back saying Nintendo stated players weren't ready for online gameplay... right :rolleyes: Anyway, I don't think online play is on the top of the to-do list for Nintendo...

9. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I agree, Wii Sports is a lot more fun when you've got a group of friends together playing it, but that doesn't mean online play wouldn't be fun as well.

What about those times where you can't get all your friends together yet you'd like to thrown down with some boxing? An online option would be nice, and I would definitely do it.

Bottom line is that Nintendo dropped the ball with online gaming. Back in the 'Cube days they said people weren't ready for online play yet, they couldn't have been more wrong. And now look at them, they're so far behind Sony and Microshaft it's just ridiculous.

The online play will come, and it will be a blast, but it would have been nice if it was ready out of the box.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Heh, well the problem with the Cube was the state of the internet when it launched. 2001/2? Hello dial up. I'm on 512kbps now and HL2 still can't get a ping lower than 60. Of course if anyone else is using the internet you're jumping up to the 100's.

I still think online has yet to come into its own. What Xbox Live can do now is great. They've got a system comparable to Steam/the PC in general but simplified and on a console. It's still lacking the full-game download, and a full 24/7 connection (like the Wii). I can't wait to see what updates the 360 will have to really bring it's online system to its full potential.

11. bigjimbob thread starter macrumors member

Did the xbox live thing happen at launch?

Yeah Wii sports with people actually with you is fantastic, my Girlfriend and her flatmate couldn't get enough (till i had to displose of them because they were taking away Zelda time). But as an alternative to single player, online sports would be pretty fun, it would take them to the next level of greatness.

Of course online Zelda wouldn't be like single player - i was thinking more WOW style or even Future Airship Zelda (from thread the other day)...

If only they had one launch title with online play that would have been ok.. and i wouldn't be complaining.

And it isn't being a jerk to disagree i do it all the time.

12. bigjimbob thread starter macrumors member

ohh and SSB online... i'll add that to my wishlist... And for them to upgrade golden eye to allow online play & >4 players...

And multiplayer online pacman... that's where the future is at.

13. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I think I just threw up in my mouth a bit.

I really hope they spend this extra development time on MP3 making the single player great rather than online mulitplayer.

14. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I hope they spend time making MP3 a good game period, not the trash that 1 and 2 were. Give me side scrolling Metroid anyday. Just like Castlevania, how can you mess with a classic?

15. bigjimbob thread starter macrumors member

16. Malus macrumors 6502

17. bigjimbob thread starter macrumors member

I had a metroid game for my original gameboy - i can't remember if it was top down or side scrolling.... i wonder if i still have the box or threw it out... must have been side scrolling.... hmmm i'm having flashbacks to sticky ball thing.. boy some of those monsters were scary...

18. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Wow it doesnt look like you'll be hooking up the wii to a network any time soon. You can use those arguments for any game: yes I'd rather be at a lan party with 11 friends playing unreal tournament than playing on the net. But the fact of the matter is you can't always be with a huge group of friends, so the only way to deal with it is to play online.

19. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

That would be awesome! I actually love playing Contra and Gauntlet (originals) online through the Xbox Live Arcade with random people. Now Nintendo needs to give us some classics that have been upgraded to be online compatible with other people. :)

20. bigjimbob thread starter macrumors member

I think my dad once bought contra for the comodore 64 but it never worked :(

I"ve still got the old 64 up the the roof - those were the days.

21. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I thought the first two were great. MP1 is one of my favorite games of all time. I also greatly enjoyed the GBA ones and am looking forward to Super Metroid on the Virtual Console. I would really, really, really like them to make a new 2D Metroid for DS, but I'm also looking forward to MP3 a great deal (probably my most anticipated game of 2007... so far).

It's just that the games the OP mentioned are, for the most part, awful examples. Well, Zelda at least is. And Wii Sports isn't a good match for online either. Although it would be AWESOME to have Mario Kart Wii online (MKDS sucked after everyone started snaking or using hacked cartridges to cheat), and I think there's a good chance there will be.

Nintendo already commented on when they'll have online available to 3rd party developers, and I'm not sure when the first 1st party ones will come out (I know Elbits makes use of it, but I don't know if it offers multiplayer online). I'm happier playing good single player titles.

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nintendo's online network isn't actually online yet, and they haven't delivered the toolkits to developers yet.

First online game comes out this month in Japan (Pokemon Battle Revolution) and early 2007 in the U.S.. The moment this game is out, Nintendo will provide toolkits to third parties and we'll see a lot of online games.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Same here. If I could only play one series from 2000-now it would have been Metroid. Prime 1 and 2 were just damn beautiful games, absolutely balanced gameplay. Then there was the 2 GBA 2D games. PHWAR!

Though, IMO Castlevanias Sorrow series destroyed 2D Metroid. They were too perfect and I don't think another platform game is going to be able to compete for a long time.

24. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

If someone wants a console system for online play, they should know that is the Xbox 360. Has Microsoft failed here? That is one of their strongest differentiating features, everyone should know by now that if you want online, you want Xbox 360 (and you want to shell out $5/mo for Live Gold too, naturally).

I don't think Wii will ever have as robust an online component as Xbox 360, Wii is more about great in-house gaming and "the social" aspect of gaming with people in your own home.

I'll want my Wii online for two things: Software Updates and Virtual Console. That's it personally. :)

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I totally understand that. Smash Bros online will be good for when my girlfriend is back at her own university and we need to play some more(seriously we play Smash Bros Melee so much we've developed our own styles, and each game is trying to find the weaknesses of them. Watching us play is like some kind of synchronised magic event. anyways).

If it didn't require each person to have a DS then my mates would probably be loving Mario Kart DS. Full screen would be another matter entirely.

I imagine WiFi Animal Crossing Wii would be cool.