Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection - Airport Recommended

Discussion in 'Games' started by srobert, Nov 7, 2005.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Good news for Apple loving Nintendo DS owners.

Nintendo's free worldwide online gaming network for the DS will be compatible with Airport Express and Airport Extreme. It's on the 5-stars recommended list.

All the details at http://www.nintendowifi.com

Attached Files:

2. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Whilst I'm glad to see Apple on the "approved" list for once, if it's just wireless internet access that is required, why are there so many routers with compatibility issues? :confused:

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I already have an account at Nintendo.com. I'm glad it carries over to Nintendo Wi-Fi. I just need a game so I can confirm my ID and start playing online.

I like getting high-resolution wallpaper, buddy icons, or software for registering my games too. :D

4. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

One more week to Mario Kart DS. Keep an eye on my sig next week to get my "Friend Code" so we can all play together. ^_^

Can't wait for the first MacRumors Grand Prix. Gentlemen, start your engines.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Oh, crap it does come out November 14th. I need to preorder it! I thought it'd be later in the month.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Mario Kart was supposed to be hitting Europe first, on the 4th I think it was, but alas it's been delayed so I've got the US version coming. I just hope it works fine in the UK, what with the wifi and all that! I see no reason why it shouldn't work. Nintendo don't bother with region stuff.

I'm really excited about all this :) I've seen too many videos for Mario Kart now (including the 30 minute presentation on IGN). Its going to be too good, on paper its the best game ever; A portable, wireless, truely 3D Mario Kart with online play, balloon multiplayer, blockfort and changable karts. Maybe its just me but thats like everything I ever wanted in a game suddenly came true.

I love it when Nintendo don't do something in a generation, then next time they really go all out.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The ones with compatability issues just mean that it's not one-click setup and you'll have to do some configuration, hopefully.

Nintendo had a Mac-specific network tester to ensure that it would work with Macs...no Linux one though, but they're close enough.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

WOW.

Them rumors were spot on.

My only complaint is that it saves your friends list on the game cartridge (while I know from the DSLinux boards where they dumped the firmware after someone used Mario Kart, that WiFi settings are saved in an unused section of the firmware, and some things are stored online, such as stats and high scores, so it didn't have to be on the cartridge). It'd be nice to be able to see the same list on each game without having to re-add everyone for each online game.

EDIT:
    http://nintendowifi.com/gaminghub/Gamehub.jsp

How the heck can that guy be on the high scores list on an UNRELEASED GAME???

9. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Changed my sig for the occasion.

If anybody want to join in the fun, feel free to do the same. Here is the code:

PHP:
    [url=http://www.nintendowifi.com][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Darkturquoise"]nintendo [/COLOR][COLOR="Lightblue"]Wi-Fi [/COLOR][COLOR="Darkturquoise"]connection[/color][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]
    [SIZE="1"]DS User name: [COLOR="Steelblue"]Aazlain[/color]
    DS Friend Code: [COLOR="Steelblue"]Coming Soon[/color]
    Let's Play: [COLOR="Steelblue"]Mario Kart DS, Metroid Prime: Hunters, Animal Crossing[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Lucky playtester? Or maybe Nintendo sent copies to some high profile reviewers?

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's a little sad to see no mention of my BT Voyager 2100. No doubt it will support the Nintendo Wifi Service but i'd like a mention.

also just wondering about range.

the DS runs through 1 or 2 rooms before the signal dies, the router runs almost through the entire house. Because of that I'm guessing on the DS i could receive signals but not send? correct? would that mean I'll have to play nearer my wireless router? My sister will be fine. her room is right about the router!

11. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

The nintendo is only compatible with WEP!!
    Also how is it determined if a router works with the ds or not, does it have to be G or somthing?

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nope, a lot of those are G and some are B, and Nintendo's adapter is B.

They just tested a bunch and reported which worked.

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Well, the strange part is that the playtesters (as late as Saturday) reported that the game was completed but the online network was not up.

14. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Ouch… didn't see that. I think I'll buy the USB dongle just to keep my WAP up. Problem solved. ($40.00 USD) :-/ Unless the dongle is not Mac compatible?

Edit: Crap in the hat! So that means back to WEP for me? :(

15. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Can't wait to play Mario Kart with family and friends flung over the 8 different states. Also, finally a game my girlfriend will actually play (besides Kirby and Lumines) that she and I can enjoy together from our respective apartments on a snowy night.

I'll probably pass on Metroid though...demo was crummy.

yea for airport! Because of it I have the fewest problems of anyone on xlink kai playing PSP games, and now (hopefully) that will carry over to the DS. [ Takes the "plug" out of "plug and play".]

16. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

I have to admit, I was disapointed by the original metroid DS demo but they seem to have make quite a few improvements since then. (Graphics, gameplay, modes, controls, etc…) Soundtrack is amazing. Single player mode is a big plus for me.

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/682/682835/vids_1.html

http://www.metroidhunters.com

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah, the new Metroid Prime: Hunters video rocks. I'm a big Metroid fan anyways. I'll probably just share my ethernet connection using my iMac's built-in Airport Extreme. I can kill it's sharing rather than killing a router or switching it back to WPA.

18. kaylee macrumors regular

kaylee

For registering my copy of Nintendogs, Nintendo Australia sent out a limited edition Nintendogs plush (about 4" or 10cm high) for free.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

oh god yes. a handheld online FPS. with a single player (i gathered that just from the video alone; why would they have the scan visor in single player mode?

I'm looking forward to all the online games. Mario Kart because its Mario Kart. Tony Hawk will be great online, i loved the GBA TH games and though they are totally different from the true 3D games I cant help but get a little excited about a company who can make a faux-3D game good doing a full 3D game. Animal Crossing will be fantastic, I didn't get this for the cube because its coming out on the DS. Finally Metroid. I love Metroid and now they've made it into an FPS action game (hopefully a one-off still) its all the better. cant wait to see what else comes online!

20. Jomoma macrumors regular

Jomoma

I'm so excited! Can't wait to play you guys next Tuesday!

21. TheGimp macrumors 6502

I'll probably be there! I hope quality control has already worked out most of the lag problems. With only 4 players max, there's zero excuse for the kind of lag that has plagued a few of the PSP online games, Fifa 2005 and MVP Baseball in particular.

Does anyone know whether any of these games will be playable through non-nintendo networks, through use of tunnel software that fools the DS into "thinking" that 2 strangers playing over the net are in the same wifi radius? That way if the Nintendo servers get overloaded or communication is lacking, we'll have a semi-DIY solution to play Metroid, in addition to non-internet DS games (using xlink or a similar free service). That's how I play Wipeout against people across the country and get more entertainment value per dollar spent on the game than Sony's financial analysts would like.

Now if only there was online Meteos...

22. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Wait, next Tuesday? I thought Animal Crossing (Dec 5th) was suppose to be the when the network was set up . . .

23. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Mario Kart and Tony Hawk come out this month.

24. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I'm actually waiting for the DS/Mario Kart bundle that will come out near the end of the month. I'm not particularly happy about the color of the DS unit included (red), but I'll save a few $$$, plus I'll get two of Animal Crossing, Mario & Luigi: PiT, Advance Wars:DS, Meteos or Castlevania.:D

And definitely the New Super Mario Bros. game once it comes out.

I'll post my Friend Code here once I have the DS :)

25. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've had a DS since launch. That red DS w/Mario Kart bundle is awesome though. My girlfriend loved Nintendogs so much she got her own DS too. :D