Nintendo, WiFi, Airport (DS or Wii)

Discussion in 'Games' started by aidanpendragon, Oct 27, 2006.

1. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

I'm a novice to wireless networking and how all the components of Airport work. Am wondering if the DS - and speculating on the Wii, mainly - would be compatible as follows:

- I'm sure Airport Extreme (and Express?) stations would function as a wireless hub/router that Nintendo products could get a signal from, although I think I heard there have been hiccups in the past.

- How about Airport cards within a Mac? E.g., if I added one, could my Mac, physically ethernet'd to my DSL modem, serve as a bridge between modem and DS/Wii? I'd though Airport cards flowed only one way (station -> card), but I saw the contrary with Airport Express, and realized more generally that that can't be true.

I say all this b/c I see the price on Airport Extreme cards has fallen to $44 or so, and this could be an excuse for me to get one.

2. theman5725 macrumors 6502

Wireless routers are cheap these days so just pick one up. I have a Netgear router and it works great with my DS and my Macbook.

3. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

All of these are helpful, thanks. I actually have a wireless router/modem combo, but as I A. don't currently have an Airport card and B. live in a crowded building and don't want anybody leeching/snooping, I've disabled the wireless part. For the Wii, I've been left wondering if I should run an Ethernet cable & buy the adaptor, turn the wifi on sporadically, or attempt to master security/encryption protocols.

Thus my question about the Airport card - if it could serve as a bridge with fewer vulnerabilities, that would be a better solution. Plus, AirTunes seems cool, card prices have dropped, and it would be a good excuse.

4. bluewire macrumors member

Part 1) I have an AIRPORT router and a DS. They work flawlessly together, all you need is the WEP Hex Key and plug it into the DS and you are off. I can't tell you how many games of Tetris DS I have played online, its bloody awesome.

Part 2) Buying an Airport Card for your Mac is not a router. The Airport card merely acts as a receiver for an Airport (or other wireless router) signal. Nintendo has some sort of USB adapter you can buy that will act as a wireless router specifically for the DS (or the Wii I believe)

Hope that helps.

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

Yeah, but that USB adapter doesn't work with Mac OSX. :) And if you put an airport card into the Mac, you can do internet connection sharing (Share the Ethernet connection via Airport).

6. bluewire macrumors member

Ack. I never realized that. Thanks.

7. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Not entirely correct. You CAN share your network connection wirelessly from an Airport card. The second link that jdechko provided shows how to do this.

(EDIT: oops, guess I was a little late)

8. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is all very cool. However, I'm wondering in a larger sense why Apple even makes Airport Extreme base stations, if you can stream your connection from an Airport card itself? Presumably, all you would need would be 2+ Airport-carded Macs, with one physically plugged into an internet connection, and the two could establish their own network.

I suppose one Extreme advantage is the one they first marketed: that you can put the sorta-little thing wherever your cable/network outlet is, if your computer won't fit or you don't want to run wires. Presumably, it also has a better range/bridging capability.

Still, this is a very sweet tip. Thanks to jdechko and everybody. I'm not necessarily surprised by but certainly pleased by the civility & helpfulness here.

9. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Because a lot of people don't have two computers. Also, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think a computer that is creating the wireless network can distribute IP addresses and such like a router can.

Also, the wireless creating computer would have to be on all the time.

10. jdechko macrumors 68040

Exactly... You can pick up a wireless router with a built-in 4-port switch (non APX) for around $50. A (new) computer would cost you minimum of $300, would consume a lot of power being on 24/7 and you'd probably still need the wireless and a router to gain the same functionality of the $50 Linksys. If you really want the APX for style, go ahead and spend the money. Personally, the $50 Linksys is good enough for me. :D

And it's no problem. I'm just linking to others' posts.