Nintendo Wii & E3 & final graphics

Discussion in 'Games' started by mac000, May 20, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_wii_lobby/b8270/117993981/p1/?6

i just dont understand when the Wii will go on sale will the graphics be better then what was at E3? I mean most of the games shown at E3 were just gamecube graphics...

.. i thought the GPU was still being made so obviously the graphics will be better once those games will run on a final "Wii"

btw, i read that at E3 there actually was "14 officical Wii's running to VIP members" have we heard anything related to those Wii's?

2. macrumors 68030

.Andy

If graphics is the most important thing to you don't get a Wii. Get yourself an XBox360 or sell a kidney and get a PS3. As for the graphics most reviews I've seen say that they're better than the GCN but not on par with the Xbox360 nor PS3. That's fine for me for the price point they are aiming at and the quality of the Nintendo games although I can understand others will want more...

Then again I've just finished Doukutsu and thought the graphics and style of that game kicked butt :p!

3. macrumors 65816

plinkoman

and just what was wrong with the other thread you started on the same subject?

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

i'm just trying to make sense of graphics at E3 vs. graphics of final hardware, basically Nintendo did NOT use their GPU at E3 for the Wii, correct?

that should say a lot, no?

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

has anyone seen Nintendo Wii ads circulating across the internet with the pictures of the remote? that seems kind of funny for being "released in November" i think the Wii is going to be released in July.

plus they have a lot of information on their website. one can only have wishful thinking the day Nintendo drops some BOMB on us with the rest of their plans, WHEN< WHEN< WHEN will they???

6. macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

My thoughts. You won't see the system until Xmas buying season..so I'd say around Late September at earliest and expect it to be in short supply into 2007 regardless of what Nintendo says. They've never lived up to their word with shipment schedules. Probably won't see more than 6 or 8 games at launch either.

There will be tremendous PR hype around the machine in the coming months with TV ads and will probably see a Japan/US same day launch. They are targeting a different audience than the Xbox360 don't forget.

I think they are waiting for Xbox to see what promotions and last minute add-ons to their machine for the holiday season so they can counter with something of their own in time for the shopping season.

Plus they don't want to steal any thunder away from the DS Lite release all summer which should be scorching for them in the US as it has been in Japan.

7. macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Well.......here's hopin'

8. macrumors 68000

sam10685

yeah... wtf... i was at digg the other day-or yahoo, or something like that- and i saw a banner ad for the Wii. that kinda shocked me. MAN i'd love it if it came in July...

9. macrumors 68000

sam10685

2 things; waay more than 6 or 8 games have been confirmed launch titles and Red Steel or Excite Truck better be one of them.

10. macrumors 6502a

Trowaman

From what I hear Red Steel is a go at launch. Heard nothing on Excite Truck though.

11. macrumors 68030

.Andy

Apparently there is 16 so far according to PALGN I can't find the initial Nintendo announcement though.....

12. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Not the remotest chance of a release in JULY :rolleyes:

Nintendo WILL have a staggered release with this, so whilst America & Japan will see it before the end of the year, Europe will probably have to wait till Spring 07..

At the Games Developers Conference 06, Just before E3 - Nintendo pretty much confirmed this.

13. macrumors 68030

.Andy

Although at E3 Perrin Kaplan said it will be a worldwide release. Including Europe and Australia. Has something else been stated since to reaffirm GDC? From that quote it appears that they are saying they're not just doing it because of their competitors, but not discounting that they'll do it...

I think this is the video although I've not got bradband where I currently am to double check it: http://media.revolution.ign.com/articles/708/708093/vids_1.html

14. macrumors Core

Dagless

Well I noticed a little something which points towards the E3 Wii GPU being just an overclocked Cube GPU (which will not be the final one, as Nintendo have spent 5 years with ATi on the graphics card alone). On the Gamecube Twilight Princess trailer, you can tell with the button layout on the screen, there is bloom.

What does this mean?

The GC can use Bloom. One of the most obvious effects on the Wii demos. It really was just an overclocked Gamecube GPU. maybe some more video ram too.

So tell me. Why would Nintendo invest 5 years of time and money with ATi just for an overclocked GPU?

15. thread starter macrumors 6502a

thats an excellent point. If Nintendo is working on a GPU for 5 years... c'mon now it better be do some serious punishing

16. thread starter macrumors 6502a

what are bloom effects? and would knowing that the Wii has them lead up to know the level of graphics card?

17. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

300mb for the quicktime file? good job I'm an ign insider member..

I'm going to import a wii anyway- all my cube games are american so it makes sense, besides it's cheaper than getting them over here.

18. macrumors Core

Dagless

Bloom is just a fancy lighting trick, the next Lens flair or bump map. started to emerge in PC and 360 games.

Bloom itself is a software trick. Whereas HDR is the hardware alternative. Looks exactly the same but Bloom chokes higher resolution graphics. I can run HL2 in 1600*1200, constantly smooth frame rate. I cannot turn Bloom on at that size, 1024*768 is fine though.

So if the Wii is 480p only then it will handle Bloom perfectly.

The attached screenshot is a bit of obvious bloom from Red Steel. Mario Galaxy has it by the bucket loads too (especially when the boss's flashing light thing explodes, very obvious there).

Basically any graphics card can run Bloom so long as it's fast enough. My 9600pro runs them fine and that's now a 3 year old video card! I'd say a core speed of 500mhz seems reasonable. infact I don't see how they'll be any different to 360/PS3 speed just with the lack of RAM for HD resolutions.
    Go and play count the polygons on Wii games.

Attached Files:

19. macrumors 6502a

'Red Steel' still looks like the worst game ever.

I wish they'd make a decent Clancy game for this system, rathan than some confused identity 'hip-hop' FPS game...

20. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

I like the character animation in RedSteel. It has potential.

21. macrumors Core

Dagless

I've never such realistic and fluid animation in an FPS before. or pretty much any game.

22. macrumors 6502a

23. macrumors newbie

Yeah, raggedjimmi doesn't play videogames very often. lol :rolleyes:

24. macrumors Core

Dagless

Certainly none of these games have that level of animation

I shoot a wall next to an enemy, he doesn't panic, look at the gunshot hole, look at the player and run off in a realistic fashion. He just runs off. At least in 100% of the games I've played. and that list is just the ones I own.

25. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Actually, in a second interview he says he was misquoted. In context, he was saying that they're not going to do it just because others are doing it, it's just something they may or may not decide to do. They're just not going to let the others pressure them into it.