Nintendo Wii insider info..

Discussion in 'Games' started by mac000, Aug 27, 2006.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

taken from www.gonintendo.com

*RUMOR* French blog claims insider Wii info
    August 27th, 2006
    You have been warned. This is one of those stories that I would only post on the weekend!

As I was searching through various blogs, I came across French blog ActuJV. The owner of the blog has posted a little information concerning the Wii, and its graphical capabilities. This same person claims that they have obtained information from a trusted source.

Nintendo has been showing a lot of Wii trailers lately. We have just recently seen the trailers for BWii and Mario Strikers Charged. I would say that the graphics in these games are very good, but that is just me. I realize that they aren’t up to 360 standards, but I don’t think they need to be. I can appreciate a system for what it can do…just as I would say that StarFox Command has good graphics. I know there are still a few out there that find the Wii graphical capabilities less than passable, but ActuJV says not to worry!

According to him, or his source I should say, Nintendo has been playing us the fool all along. They have been showing us trailers for games that have deliberately downgraded graphics compared to what the Wii can actually do. This is to create an element of surprise for the press during Nintendo’s next media event. I am guessing that would end up being the September 14th press event. During this show they will show off Wii graphics that are “of a quality far exceeding the Xbox”, shocking us all.

I thought all these graphical debates were over and done with, but I guess I was wrong! As far as I knew, everyone has long since dealt with any issues they had with the Wii when it came to graphics. Now we have a blog claiming we will all be surprised very soon. I couldn’t resist posting this on the weekend, I am guessing it will get a pretty good debate going! My stance…this story is total bull. The only element of it that could be true is saying that Nintendo hides things from us. We know that they love to do that!

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

while it sounds kinda weird, ya never know. some of the graphics seen on Wii have been a little lame. Many hardly look up to GC standards let alone a 'next-gen' system....

3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Why would developers waste their time making their games look crap? Sure the Wii beats XBox, but not by a lot. The best visuals I've seen from the Wii to date is the very short Disaster: Day of Crisis footage (which might even be pre-rendered) and I'm willing to bet it'll be one of the best looking games on the Wii for a while.

P.S. If it does happen to be true here's what I'll look like for a few days -> :eek:

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm torn between semi-believeable (with reason) and total BS.

+ But when you think about it, Nintendo has been working on this graphics card with ATi for 5 years. That's an awfully long time for a single chip that can only output a 480p image. So there is definitely something there. It just doesn't add up.

± But the way GPU's advance so quickly I don't think this new card they're working on is anything speed related. I think it's a new rendering technique, a new way of processing data.

- But again. If that was true wouldn't it have been copywrited to hell and back? with announcements from ATi.

I suppose we'll find out soon.

5. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Can we really bet that the graphics card has been under development for 5 years? It could've been made in a year and then for the other four years the team could've been down at the pub because as far as I'm aware, its a faster "Flipper" with no added shaders. It would be great if Nintendo came out and said all games require at least pro-scan, 16:9 support and 2x FSAA as standard.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah that would be nice. I love the cube & xbox but even with progressive on at 480p the jaggies are all too aparent on an LCD, 2x FSAA would really help.

7. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

It does sound strange. But then again, I read somewhere (Digg, I think) that Sony capped the PSP at 233 MHz even though it is capable of 333 MHz. This was supposedly so that developers became more efficient and so save battery life.

I don't know if thats changed...

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

yeah but Wii seems to be made for the majority (ie. Low cost so most can afford it, looks pretty easy to use, simple case design, no fancy bells and whistles) and the majority of people still rock CRT tv's so how good it looks on an LCD might not be a huge deal for the big N

9. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I doubt that is true, I think what we are seeing is what we are getting. Wouldn't make sense to wait till the last minute and tell everyone they fooled us.

There's a long commercial up on myspace for the Wii. Shows a lot of games, but this might have been shown elsewhere. First time I'm seeing the long version.

http://www.myspace.com/howwiiplay

10. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I really want to believe this, but I don't. I don't know why the developers and nintendo would waste all their time making the system look graphically inferior than it really is for events as big as E3. Nintendo has some proving to do to people that didn't like the gamecube (I personally love it and think its an incredible system and will get a Wii regardless), so I don't think they would even risk having people make their first judgement on a graphically weaker system and then possibly forgetting about it based on the first opinion. I think it would be amazing though.

11. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

The jaggies would still be there. I guess I shouldn't really be talking about FSAA seeing as my GC is hooked up to my LCD TV via Composite so instead of jaggies, I've got a mass of colour bleed to worry about :p

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

taking a wild prediction here, and just further pushing what the Cube could do.

Well... we all know the Cube had a special rendering techinque, a form of 3D blitter that could recreate the same object with little slow down. what if that was somehow pushed further? the 5 year development period for the graphics card would house something like that. something minor, but still very useful for a number of games at the same time (Elebits? Pikmin 3? particles in Red Steel?). Yet something thats not big enough to warrant ATi to turn round and say "nah, stuff you Nintendo this is big and we're telling it".

If I was to take a wild prediction, taking into account the 5 years and disregarding the developers saying Broadway is nothing more than a faster Flipper... The Wii could be capable of some kind of super AA, 480p graphics with so much AA, anisotropic filtering and other card effects.

Perhaps the PPU is built into the GPU for no apparent reason?

The only other reason is Nintendo worked so long on this card to make it extremely cheap. So cheap the system can be sold at such a low price. I mean where did those 5 years go?! making paper planes in the office?

*sorry. I just really want to know.

13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

or maybe this is all in the imagination of some crazy frenchman bent on raising then crushing the hopes of Wii fans...

14. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Sadly I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

15. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Don't ALL GC games already have full good looking AAing? I don't think I've seen one that didn't.

16:9 and progressive scan is a must. I think all of the big titles (Zelda:TP, MP3:Corruption, Red Steel, etc) will have it and maybe some of the crappier 3rd party titles won't, unless Nintendo requires it, which I hope they do.

Frankly I haven't yet seen any next-gen titles that look significantly better than anything from the tail-end of the previous/current generation. There are some 360 games that look good, but not really a lot better than what the first Xbox was probably capable of. Some PS3 footage does look truly next-gen (MGS4), but the games that look that good aren't coming out for a while.

I DO think that the Wii might end up being more graphically powerful than Nintendo has been letting on and certainly the first generation of titles aren't the best indication of what the hardware is capable of (just look at the first few PS2 games compared to ones that came out within the last 12 months). But it's not going to be on the same level of the Xbox 360 or PS3 (a good thing, letting developers focus on gameplay instead of graphics).

FYI, LCD doesn't equal HD. I have a CRT HDTV, and they are plenty of SD or ED LCD TV's out there. :p (how's that for a string of acronyms, heh)

16. smitty330 macrumors member

smitty330

That would be amazing if this were true. I cant wait to see if it is!!!!:D

17. smitty330 macrumors member

smitty330

I agree with you and also when it was previewed at E3 wouldn't have people said something?? oh well who knows.

18. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Thing about that though is PS2 was very different hardware to the PS1's which meant devs. had to learn to code for a completely different system whereas if what we're being led to believe is true (that hardware wise the Wii is little more than a modded GC) devs. will already have many GC prog. tricks up there sleeves ready to use now. At least thats how I see it, could be wrong.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No. GC titles look great on a CRT screen, but connected to a lcd via component/progressive the jaggies are really apparent.

Have you actually seen any 360 games in HD because the quality differnce between lastgen and 360/ps3 hi-res is really quite major. On an SD set though there isnt much difference other than improved textures etc...

GRAW, Kameo, PD0, COD2, PGR3, Oblivion, all look vastly superior to last gen titles. Even comparing Tombraider legends on an xbox via progressive at 480p, to the 360 version at 1080i is dramatic. The 360 not only obviously looks higher res, but has 4xFSAA, far better lighting & far better textures.... It really does look considerably improved.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Your right probably.

Now all sing... They call it Flipper, flipper, it's faster than lightning...

21. mac000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Don't believe it. I played enough Wii demos at E3, I don't believe Nintendo would force third parties to downgrade (which could hurt the third parties' sales after all), and I can't see ANY motivation for them to make people think the graphics are worse than they are.

As for all the time with flipper and broadway- I think it's miniaturization, really. The Wii is quite small, and has a lot of stuff packed in there- it's barely bigger than the disk drive.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That, my friend, sounds very possible. actually I'd probably see that as the 5 year reason.

How "final" are the latest Wii kits? Have we been given anything final yet (controller or console design wise)?

24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm pretty sure the current kits are final, but you never know.

Blitz told me at E3 that as far as they were aware they were on the final dev kits. Nintendo probably just goes "here's the latest" without specifying if more are coming or not.