Nintendo Wii Reviewed...

Discussion in 'Games' started by AJ Muni, May 8, 2006.

1. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Here in TIME magazine. Pretty cool review and it seems like it's going to be more entertaining; virtually than the 360 & PS3. I kinda liked this quote:

2. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I found this article interesting but puzzling at the same time.

He makes no mention of a feature that could be the soon to
    be announced "Last revolutionary secret" about the Wii. Is it
    because he was asked not to disclose anything about it? Is it
    because it's not something that can be experienced while
    playing alone? Is it because he didn't even notice it (i.e. not
    that revolutionary?

You got to give credit to Nintendo, they keep their secrets
    much better than Apple. 5 years in development, hundreds
    of Dev kits floating around, not a single leak worth mentioning.

I guess we'll know all there is to know in 24 hours…

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Actually, I think he MIGHT have mentioned something super secret, in a very subtle way...

It's either an allusion to some secret to do with the controllers or just a jab
    at the little Wii intro animation on Nintendo's site. My thought, as I've mentioned several times in the Tin-Foil hat thread, is that the i's also mean eyes, in that there are video cams built into the system.

Of course he could have just thought the name and commercial were silly, and he was shown one of the units that was displayed for the press last year, without the last secret included.

4. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Some Wii specific screensshots here (Tony Hawk):

e3insider

I'm not really impressed. They look like badly compressed
    jpegs. Looks fun nonetheless ^_^

The young lady is having fun:

Attached Files:

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

So those over on digg just a minute ago. Pretty much confirms that the Wii will bee [graphically] roughly like an Xbox with DX9 shaders/light effects. Perfectly happy with that, myself, if the games end up being as fun as they sound...

WarioWare described in the Time piece sounded good, and Mario Party has me the most excited out of all the 1st party games.

6. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Well.. Some interview with nintendo on the name suggested the i's look like remote controllers.. So I guess it's no bigger secret than that, unfortunately..

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ya, the flash animation over on Nintendo's site even has the controllers becoming the i's in the name, but something about the way that was written made me think there was more being hinted at.

I could be jumping at shadows, though. At least we will find out in about 20 hours or so.

8. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Counting the hours allready? :D

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

20 hours and 51 minutes at time of posting :D so SO glad I don't have to stay up at 2-3am for this. 6:30pm is more than doable. infact. I'll have my dinner then sit down with dessert for this :cool:

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/705/705607p1.html
    Square enix backing wii with 2 titles

from the article:
    "As for the second Square Enix Wii title, sources stop just shy of slipping us the name, but one insider we chatted with did allege that it's a game which will "make Japanese RPG fans very, very happy." "

gentlemen start your guesses

11. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Vagrant Story ??!! Please, let it be!

12. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Its funny to see how so many people around the place check digg.com comments are slagging of the Wii's graphics, when they look pretty good to me...All this Wii talk is getting too much the conference can't come quick enough!

SHadOW

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Firstly, as a reflective bit. We're finally here. All this info and screenies are finally coming to light. :)

Well we knew Crystal Chronicles was coming to the Wii. So theres 1 more too? hmm.

Screenies look good too. Red Steel looking very, very fine indeed. That tennis game looking like the first tennis game I actually buy *down to controller*. I pity the person who doesn't get to play Twilight Princess.
    As for the Tony Hawk game, that looks just like a current gen PS2 up-port game to me. is this going to be a current gen game too? it's the first time I've heard of it :eek:

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just dont look at the tennis game and try to remember that twilight is gamecube title - so in essence, not much to see ;) :p

15. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Chances are that the characters in the above tennis game simply are placeholders for Mario characters. We can see Nintendo's logo on the court so I don't see why that couldn't be a "Mario Tennis". Nintendo hasn't made a non-mario sport game since ages, not sure why they would start now.

16. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ya that was the first thing I said when I saw those. In fact, I think I was the first post on the Digg article linking them saying the exact same thing. Kind of odd that they would release those. Since they are from the Time article I think it is safe to say Nintendo gave those to the magazine to publish, and I would think that they'd not want to give out pre-production shots without full finished models with the system kind of taking a beating for its graphics...

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well the Tennis game on the GB (possibly NES) only had Mario as the big overlord guy. The people in the game were just generic. Personally I'd love a toned down game, as Mario sports games are pretty insane. Just give it wifi and boom :cool:

18. takao macrumors 68040

takao

and the second square title is: *drumroll*

Dragon Quest

or to be more precise:
    "Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors"

edit: there will be crystal chronicles for the Wii _and_ DS ... the later called "Ring of Fates" and feature Wi-Fi multiplayer.... oh and Dragon quest is a _launch_ title for the wii

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Actually that may indeed be the graphics for the Tennis game, for example it may be pre-loaded onto the wii to give you somthing to play and experience the features of wii controller. As a freebie you wouldnt be too bothered about overal aesthetic.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Hey aslong as it looks as good if not better than DQ 8 I'll be in heaven. Now wheres rogue galaxy gone?

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If you tell me that Rogue Galaxy is the sequel to Rebel Strike then I will smile.

22. iBunny macrumors 65816

I would say it would be nice to see the remake of FF7 but I kinda dont want to see it on such crappy hardware.

Sigh...

I am buying a wii wii.... regaurdless of the amazing hidden super powers it has. Its a nintendo product... so it will always be good <3 :D

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL! Afraid not.. It's a spectacular RPG that has the BEST cell shading (well other than Windwaker) and a great, nay really great RPG game to boot.

http://uk.media.ps2.ign.com/media/729/729765/vids_1.html

24. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

O_O Hurray! <(^_^<) *<(^_^)>* (>^_^)>

Bring back those slimes. I never have enough. DS and Wii! Seems like I'm going to get my DW fix from Nintendo this year.