Nintendo Wii...*sigh*

Discussion in 'Games' started by atomheartmother, Jan 2, 2007.

1. atomheartmother macrumors regular

I happened to get one of these for Christmas along with the Zelda game, and I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed. The system itself is very impressive and the Zelda game is excellent (the Sports game is fun too), but the Zelda game is the ONLY decent game (one that I'd be willing to drop $50 on) and there appears to be NOTHING on the horizon, at least not in the near future. It's quite disappointing. Nintendo actually had a great shot at taking back the video game world, considering how revolutionary the Wii is and how ridiculously expensive the competitors are...but just like the Gamecube, they just aren't putting out many games. Sure there are all of those Virtual console games, but I got the Wii to play recent, modern games, not some 20 year old rehash that I played back then...

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

This should be in the games forums...I reported your post, hopefully mods will move it there

As far as the Wii not having any good games some...your crazy! This year will have Super Smash Bros Brawl...what more do you need?

But if you do need more Mario Galaxy, Prime 3, Disaster Day, Project Hammer, Wii Play, Saddness, Mario Kart, Mario Party, SSX Blur, Sims Wii(currnetly only for Japan but we'll see) possible Resident Evil, Wario Ware....and a heck of a lot more.

2007 will with out a question be one of the best years for gaming in a long, long time

3. atomheartmother thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, but those will be out MONTHS from now...summer or later most likely. It just sucks that once I finish Zelda, the Wii will be collecting dust for several months.

4. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Agreed with Zap.

Every article I have read about the Wii says that Nintendo did a good job getting so many launch titles out so fast. I think the Wii has more launch titles than any other past game system.

As for your reveiw of Twilight Princess. Well you seem to be the only person complaining... The game is FANTASTIC!

IGN gave it a 9.5/10 Which is the highest rated game yet. (They are pretty conservative rating games too...)

There are going to be loads of games coming out this year... Just hold your horses. :)

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well launch never has the best line up. Elebits got good reveiws. Madden 07 is pretty fun(coming from someone who hates most supports games) Wii Play comes out next month. Rayman from what I've read is a good party games, as is Wii Sports.

Maybe even look at some GameCube games..plus with old games being release every week you should be fine

6. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Wrong again.

They will start coming out late winter early spring.

Sonic is chalked up for a febuary release.

SSBB and Mario Galaxy have March release dates.

Just search Google.

If you wanna talk about crappy launch titles then take a look at PS3.
    Only decent game they have is Resistance: Fall of Man...

Don't forget about Excite Truck and Monkey Ball :)

You are exactly right about launch titles... This is nothing new though...

He must be new to gaming consoles.

7. subwarm macrumors member

subwarm

I managed to get my hands on a Wii this Christmas too and Zelda was my only game purchase. I have to say you understated the game a little bit. Its not just a decent game, its an excellent game - probably the best Zelda yet. So far I've managed to clock in a mere 20 hours with this game so that alone makes me feel like my console choice was well justified.

As far as upcoming games, a couple people said before - there are some great titles coming out in March (at least according to Best Buy anyway) like Super Mario Galaxy and Smash Brothers.

If you can't justify paying full price for a game you can always, dare I say it, rent a video game to see if its worth the purchase. I'm highly on the fence about Elebits (and a couple other Wii games as well) - but a trip to Blockbuster (or Gamefly - but im impatient) this weekend and a couple days to preview the game will influence my purchasing decision I'm sure.

8. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I'm mesmerized by the amount of Wii games I want to play, Wii Sports, Zelda, Rayman RR, WarioWare, Excite Truck, Elebits... if I could get them all I would but I'm going the Zelda + Rayman RR route, that should keep me busy for quite a while.

That is if I even find a Wii, I'll know for sure next Monday :)

9. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

Nintendo doesn't need to "take" back the video game, they only need to do what they do, and that is make fun ass games

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm not going to have much time for gaming in 2007, but I'm desperately looking forward to Smash Bros Brawl and WarioWare. I think combined with Metroid Prime, Mario Galaxy (all coming out this year) the Wii will absorb all my free time. Yes they are months off. But how long did it take other systems? Take the 360, the highest rated game at the moment (GoW) came out around the time of the PS3 and Wii launch. A whole year and a bit after the systems launch and GoW and Zelda are (were?) up for GotY 2006. A launch title! madness.
    I think we've been spoilt with TP as a launch title.

And I have VC games to look forward to :D I missed so many games from yesteryear and now I get a chance to catch up.

11. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

MK in 2007, really?? Are you sure about that?

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

opps...I was thinking about Mario Party...while its possible Mario Kart could come out, seems unlikely that Nintendo would do that see how its not even annonced yet

13. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Yeah that's what I thought, looking up on Wikipedia:
    :(

Lots of good games on the way though!! Besides which, there aren't usually that many good games at a system's launch anyway, just look at the... I don't need to say it.

14. atomheartmother thread starter macrumors regular

I thought those March release dates for SSBB and Mario Galaxy were Japan or Europe dates or something and that the US dates were still TBA. I'm actually really looking forward to those games, so I hope they come out soon.

Well, I've never owned a game system at launch time, since they've always been too expensive (and I didn't have the money when I was younger).

The new Zelda without a doubt is the best of them that I've played (Zelda 1, Link to the Past, some Gameboy one, and Ocarina of Time). I love it. I've got about 36 hours clocked in during late nights and I still have a considerable way to go. But I'm just afraid that after I finish it, the Wii won't see much use. I'm just hesitant to drop $50 on games that got ratings in the 7's and low 8's. I suppose I could rent some. Elebits look like a lot of fun. Has anyone played it?

15. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

If you don't have a GameCube, the drought periods are great times to pick up many of those EXCELLENT GameCube games.

You might try Paper Mario, and Beyond Good & Evil.

Sure these aren't the "newest" games, but they are just as good as the new games being released lately. There are a LOT of great GameCube titles - all playable on Wii! :)

16. atomheartmother thread starter macrumors regular

17. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You can buy the Wii cases for $1 from Nintendo direct. The artwork is easily found online. If anyone can't find it and can host it i can provide it also (its big in size).

Ed

18. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Before I pass out from unbridled joy, please post a source for the march date in SSBB.

19. subwarm macrumors member

subwarm

20. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Gamestop says 4/1

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=T000229

My local store hasn't even started pre-orders as it isn't in their system yet to allow it. That kinda makes both sites a bit questionable imho.

SSBB 6/1 http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=T000233
    Wii Music 10/1 http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=T000564
    Wii Sports Airplane 10/1 http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=T000567
    Resident Evil Wii 12/1 http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=T000522

Duck hunt, Final Fantasy, other things far off in the year http://www.gamestop.com/comingsoon....tpage=1&sortby=eta&imageFlag=show&platform=34

Ed

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'm a bit dissapointed in the games as well. Even though it's only been a month or so since launch I'd love to pick up some new AAA titles. It seems that Ubisoft is intent on flooding the wii market with crappy ports (with the exception of Rayman). Bear in mind down under we don't even have Trauma Center or Excite truck yet :mad:.

To try and fill the gap I'm intent on living up all the gamcube games I missed out on. I've got Resident Evil 4 and Paper Mario and my love of Twilight Princess has also seen me order LOZ Wind Waker with the bonus Ocarina of Time included. Hopefully that'll tide me over until some new games come out. From not playing consoles games in a couple of years I've found myself ravenous for new titles.

Fingers crossed the Wii will follow the lead of the DS and the amount of titles will snowball and outpace the disposable income.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

How on earth did you get that?! I can't find the bonus disc anywhere! I've got the game myself but Caroline is desperate to find one.

23. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I have been playing Zelda for the last couple of days and it is in my top 10 games of all time for sure. I haven't decided what space it will take up but it is a masterfully made game.

If you are looking to pass the time until March there are alot of games worth renting or buying if you can find them used and not pay retail.

So far from what I have played, I have enjoyed Excite Truck the most but Rayman and Red Steel might be worth a rent too.

Also from the IGN reviews, CoD3, Madden, Elebits, and Trauma Center are also good for a rent or possibly buy if you like them. Wario Ware should be good too when it comes out in a few days. Who knows, you might rent one of these and find that it is extremely fun. Don't let the reviewers at Gamespot and IGN decide what games are good for you. If Excite Truck is any indication, IMO they don't always get reviews right anyway. Gamespot gave Zelda an 8.8! I'm sorry but that is too low even if you are a fan of the 360 and Gears of War or the PS3 and Resistance. I enjoyed what I have played of both of those game but to me they shouldn't be rated any higher than Twighlight Princess irregardless of graphics and music.

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Found it second hand at replaygames.com.au for $AU73.50. I got the last one though sorry :eek:. Cool site though and much better prices than ebay. If only they got a few more games in stock I'd be a happy camper.

25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nintendo has not announced a release date for Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, or Super Smash Bros Brawl. Just 2007.

Any dates you see are estimates and speculative.

Nintendo hasn't announced a Duck Hunt game...the E3 demo ended up being a Wii Play minigame.