Nintendo Wii Straps Recalled.

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Dec 15, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

BBC Technology News

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6182013.stm

2. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

4. islandman macrumors 6502

5. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Is this just me, or is this a non-story?

Don't _throw_ your Wiimote. Hold onto it as you're supposed to.

Reminds me of the iPod Nano scratching alerts, to which the obvious answer was to buy a case.

The media just loves to tell you any bold new product is flawed. I'll be ignoring this and will carry on enjoying my Wii.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I saw some folks properly throwing around the controller in a game of tennis. If the system can survive what I saw then I'll be perfectly content if my Wii comes with the old straps.

7. 21stcenturykid macrumors 6502

The only way the straps gna break is if u let go of the remote and your blatantly not using it properly if you go doing that are you! why dont people get some common sense?:rolleyes:

8. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

As Quick as the breaking news is in, MRU's back with Nintendo's retort..

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Translation: "We can't control the stupidity of other people"

[​IMG]

10. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

Yeah, I heard about this on the Nintendo forums. I haven't had any trouble with mine, but I think I will go ahead and get some new ones since they are free and they look like they'll hold up better.

Attached Files:

11. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

why should the public HAVE to buy a case because their new mp3 player scratches easily?

A case shouldn't have to be a necessary item for every nano.

12. Xenesis macrumors regular

Xenesis

If something's going to be kept in a bag or pocket it's going to get scratched. Unless it's made out of pure diamond or something. Then everything else will get scratched.

And Nintendo is nipping this early. This is a good thing. That being said, people are still morons. I can understand dropping a controller, but launching it into the TV is another thing altogether.

13. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

My strap broke on me. It didn't have enough force to break anything, though. It just sort of fell onto the nearby fireplace. Took surprisingly little force, too. I talked about it in another thread somewhere.

A Nintendo rep told me they suspected one of their strap manufacturers wasn't following their spec. He said you could tell who made the strap you have by looking at the weave of the fabric part. He asked that I get the strap back to them ASAP so they could "research the issue." That's probably the reason, rather than some design flaw. I did order the thicker replacements, though, just in case.

14. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I'm gonna be ordering my two strap replacements just to be safe, my friends can be a bit rough at times and i don't want to take ANY chances :)

15. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Funny, I've never lost my grip on the controller, but I did give a bit of a tug to the strap just to see and it didn't break. Maybe peoples idea of "surprisingly little force" is more than mine. Ordered a free replacement anyway, just in case.

16. afornander macrumors 6502

im just using my PSP wrist strap. i swear their made out of nillon or somthin.:cool:

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nillon?

18. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

One hopes that's only a horrid misspelling of nylon, and not some new radioactive fabric ;).

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

nylon maybe was what he was goin for

20. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

We had our first Wii related accident today.

Playing Wii sports and one of us swung the controller too hard and knocked it against a cup sitting on the coffee table. The cup exploded, hot tea everywhere, cat startled, floor soaked and me in a mood :eek: :D

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

My high swing with a Wiimote hit the low ceiling once. Did nothing more than put a scratch on the corner of the remote.

22. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i have hit my ceiling a couple times, hit the wall a couple of times, hit my hand on a desk a couple times, bruised my knee. Etc. Etc. no broken wrist straps here

23. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Mine broke the day after that original broken strap hit the internet. I, like most people I'm sure, assumed he was playing like an idiot. For example, stupid Wii tennis serve guy on YouTube. I was playing pretty normally. As a point of reference, it was nothing beyond what you see in the Wii tennis commercial. So "remote slipping during normal play" is about what I'd consider "surprisingly little force." I don't blame Nintendo. I dropped the damn thing, but I was surprised the strap didn't hold under what will be pretty normal operating conditions.

Probably telling is that of the people who have let their controllers slip, few have had the strap NOT break. Not that that's indicative of poor construction, or that it matters now that Nintendo's fixed the problem for everyone who wants it.

24. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I've never had an accident with my Wii, and I've had one since launch. None of the people playing it at my dorm/house have injured themselves or broken anything, either. This is a case of stupid people being, well, stupid. It's the same reason they put warnings on chainsaws not to stop the blade with your finger, and irons not to iron your clothes while you're wearing them, or blow-dry your hair while you're asleep.

Darwinism. I hope there are some eventual fatal Wii accidents. That would be entertainment.

(I also requested 4 replacements, since they're free :D)