Nintendo Wii

Discussion in 'Games' started by mrgreen4242, Apr 27, 2006.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Yup. That's the official name of the Revolution. Pronounced WEE. Love it? Hate it? Stick with it.

I'm not to keep on it, but neither do I particularly dislike it. You can read all about it at http://revolution.nintendo.com if that page wasn't currently dead. You can see the press release at least at http://revolution.ign.com.

Not a rumor, official announcement.

2. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I like the fact that it's short and what it's stand for, but it doesn't sound like an object's name. Try it:

"I own a Wii"

"I've played with my Wii all night"
    :eek:

It will take some getting used to.

I like the introductory falsh video on Nintendo's page. Somehow it feels like an Apple ad. Not sure why.

At first I tought Wii had something to do with WiFi.

In french, "Wii" sounds the same as "oui" (Yes).

Can't wait to hear the opening chime of the revolution… I mean Wii… for the first time.

3. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i kinda like it .. i found the introduction video real good .. simplistic but fitting

i think they can do a lot with this brand name ...

but i guess a lot of native english speaking perhaps don't like it

4. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I like Revolution better but since I'm stuck with Wii I will learn to love it.... actually I like it already, Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii

5. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I like the Revolution better as well but I think this will grow on me. Hell, as long as the games are good I could care less about the name.

6. supergod macrumors 6502

Taking a page from the apple books with the nonsensical use of "i"s? I can accept it.

My initial reaction is sort of negative though. It reminds me of a book titled "We", which the books 1984 and Brave New World were both inspired/based on. First Revolution and now We, both names remind me of communism.

This name is definitely going to be the source of much jokes here in Canada, let alone in France. Plus, I'm sure plenty of English speaking Americans will end up calling it the "why".

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Nintendo Wii?.....nope i like the REV. better...damn i even like Nintendo Go better than that...oh well i will live with it no biggie.

Bless

8. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ah, someone else who'd read Zamyatin... good book. I liked it more than Brave New World, but not as much as 1984.

Anyways, pronouncing it WHY was the first thing I thought of, and I think they are going to have to work very hard to get people to get into the name. Oh well, name means nothing to me, so I don't really care.

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

DUMB name. Dumb. "Revolution" is orders of magnitude better. "Wii" is just ripe for being made fun of ("Wii Wii", etc.), people are going to pronounce it wrong ("wise", "w-2", etc.), and it's just plain weird looking.

Also (just thought of this): "From the country that lost WW II, we present Wii." Yikes.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It looks like WHY rather than WE.

People will be saying

your buying a nintendo wii?

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

It will be made fun of...ALOT!...i can see it right now...oh well.

Bless

12. supergod macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm of the exact same opinion. Thought We was good, absolutely loved 1984 and still think that Brave New World is overrated.

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm sure it'll grow on me (like MacBook Pro- still feel it's inferior to PowerBook, but I can actually say it now) and I'll buy the system anyway...but it's an absolutely horrible name, and I'll probably be calling it Revolution for months.

Nintendo: Fire your marketting team.

Not to mention all the jokes. First came "Touching is good" and now "Wii"...

I thought it was a typo for WiFi at first.

EDIT: Not to mention what the french will think. It's pronounced like Oui, their word for "Yes".

14. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Not much to say that hasn't already been said. Crap name!

Revolution was so much better. It's an 'active' name that invokes images and an emotional response.

Wii...notsomuch. :(

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

"Hey, have you seen GFLPraxis' new Wii?" "Yeah, it's great. I loved playing with it."

Or, "Do you have the Wii in stock?" "Yeah, I've got it right here behind the counter. Wanna see it?"

Or, "Monsieur, vendes-vous le Wii?" "Wii?" "Oui, le Wii." "Quoi?" "Wii." "Non, pas de Wii." "Merde."

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

LOL ..Good stuff. Lets hope nintendo do a 360(turn that is no xbox refs) and change the name back to the REV....there is still time.

Bless

17. Motley macrumors 6502

Sometimes I wonder if Nintendo's trying to fail.

18. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

WEIRD... but it's already growing on me. like the controller. at first i was like "wtf! it's a remote!... com'on nintendo!..." now it's freakin' awesome...

19. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Bring back the rev it was such a cooler name. I didnt have a clue how to pronounce the name until I read the article on Google news. Thought it was pronounce "y"

20. Ayre macrumors member

Are they gonna call their controllers Wiimotes now?

21. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Still a better name than Xbox.

Xbox is the worst. name. ever.

22. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i guess you mean a 180 ;)

as expected english native speaking people don't like

actually translated to german pretty much all consoles sound stupid normally ... to this "Wii" is actually something refreshing since wii/we means "how" in german

i think nintendos german marketing/commercial depratmant is jumping in joy at the moment of the countless world plays which can be used ...

edit: and the "i play with my wee" thing is already overused within the first day

23. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I preferred the Revolution. Oh well, when it comes out, I'll be playing with my Wii all night long. Maybe invite a woman to come and play with it too.

24. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Thats true, Wii is quite cool, the opening video on the Nintendo site is fun yet simple and classy. I'm sure Wii will pick up fine as a name when people get used to it,

SHadow

25. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue