Nintendo. you make me so mad...

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Sep 14, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

EDIT: I've explained my decisions further as people dont understand, also some things only affect Europe more so than US... I've bolded the bits that i feel most annoyed at.

----

So we all know the crap with Sony at this stage, now following concrete specs & release info on the Wii - it's time to turn on Nintendo...

1) $249 :mad: At $249 for a slighlty beefed up gamecube I think nintendo are over stretching. But they have included wii sports, but not everyone likes their gaming choice dictated to them. I would like to have the choice of what games I want to spend my money on, not have the decision forced upon me.

They said at E3 when they announce the price it will be at a cost that would take everyone by surprise and it will make us all run out and buy a wii... $249 is not a suprise.

A 360 price cut will follow if not this holiday season, some time after making the core $250 / premium $350

2) NO DVD playback. ? WHAT !! Nintendo you really are kicking everyone in the nuts with this. They claim it would cost too much to implement it... if 5-7 year old PS2, Xbox could play DVD, I think its shameful that in 2006/7 nintendo don't even support the most popular movie format of all time...

Err you have the hardware, you have the dvd drive, you have the av output ... so what you mean is you are too tight to be bothered to licence a software decoder or make one for your os...

3) No USB ports. looks like this one was just a rumor. THANK GOD!!!

4) Browser costs $$$$ I guess I can cross this off, it wasnt till I thought about it that I realised with the Wii SD resolution, websites arent going to work that great on it anyway.... 640x480...

5) Games at $49 !!! (Which is ok for USA BUT!) not much different to 360, meaning they are probably going to be €54.99-59.99 here in Ireland. That's too much. (Gamecube games are €44.99 -49.99 here - at the current price Wii games will be more expensive here by an addtional €10)

-------------

Please continue to add to the list of things that have really peed you off...

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Well, not following Sony exactly, MRU. At least Sony will have USB and DVD capabilities. ;)

But I know what you mean. They blew it on this one. Which is why I'll only buy one if I can mod it for TV shows. That's about it. S

orry you have had yet another console go to hell on you. Looks like there is only one console this generation to be fully worth the money. And it's already on the shelves...

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

1. They said it would be uder $250.

2. Meh, I have 3 DVD players in my livig room alone, I don't really need another.

3. The official site says it has USB 2.0, others say it doesn't.

4. Yeah that sucks. I won't be paying for it.

5. Games were $49 for Gamecube, you want them to get cheaper?

4. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

It would not surprise me if tomorrow they announce a march 2007 release date for europe at all.

1) They said at E3 when they announce the price it will be at a cost that would take everyone by surprise and theyll all run out and but a wii... $249 is not that much of suprise or incentive..

2) Its choice, if 5-7 year old PS2, Xbox could play DVD, I think its shameful that in 2006/7 nintendo don't even support the most popular movie format of all time...

5) If it was $49 here in europe I'd be happy, but going on current price models it means wii games will likely be £39.99-44.99 or €59.99-64.99 Thats only £5 less than 360 and PS3...

5. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

So you start off the post by talking about facts... and then your FIRST gripe is based on rumor and speculation? Wow.

PS2 was a slightly beefed up PS1 and went for 300$, your point?

Even if they make one, they still pay a per-unit fee to license the rights to use it. All hail the glorious patent.

Isn't really taking away anything that wasn't given yet. With SD slots, not sure what benefit you get from USB at this point, but IIRC, the ethernet was supposed to be through a USB adaptor... either they saved us the cost and just gave us the port, or the USB is still there.

Not gonna touch this one, nothing really to dispute because of lack of information.

Your point? Games have been at 50$ for awhile now. Inflation says they should be rising in cost, yet even now you are pissed because they DIDN'T? Wow.

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

i said that in the other thread.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

xBox 360, is not getting a pricce drop MS said so. DVD play back...everyone has one, saves money for nintendo. The Opera browser, well I'd rather have to pay then not have the option. 49 dollars a game is better then 360 or PS3, its a welcome move they didn't up the price

USB isn't that important..its be nice but SD cards are fine for saves. This is a game system not PC

8. dwishbone macrumors regular

i think $250 is a good price since it comes with wii sports which is a game i was going to get anyway. but, i think it would have been better suited to release the system at $200 and let people buy what they wanted. the system is $215 in japan with no game...so...

dvd playback isnt much of an issue. how many people dont have a DVD player now? true it would be nice to have, but i don't think nintendo saw it as a deal breaker.

when did they say no USB ports? i missed that bit of news today i guess. every demo unit i've seen so far show it has USB ports on the back of the system. they have even made mention as that the wii would support external drives akin to the 360. if they did infact remove them and are going exclusively with SD Memory...i too have to say wtf on that.

browser doesnt cost anything. its included. (pretty sure thats what i read)

$50? thats pretty much the standard for games this past gen. id rather pay $50 than the current $60/$70 for 360 games and by some estimates $80 or more for PS3 games.
    and the Wii is much more than a repackaged gamecube.

i still wouldnt hold your breath on a 360 price drop. MS has said repeatedly they cant drop the cost for at least another year or so. they already lose a bundle on each unit. what you will more likely see is what sony has done with the PSP...which is keep the price the same and try and add more value. id expect MS to rebundle the 360 with a game or something. actually what i see happening is when the HDDVD attachment comes out they make that slightly cheaper than the existing premium and include a wireless lan adapter as well and the current premium package becomes the new core. prices will still be around 299/399 range.

9. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Wow, I really am surprised at this sort of reaction which to me is entirely uncalled for.

1) Who didn't expect this price? I did from the moment they said "under $250", even if I was hoping for $199.

2) What system from Nintendo ever included DVD playback? Did you already forget they said months ago DVD playback would be available via an accessory?

3) Why do I want USB? GameCube, PS2, and Xbox all worked fine without USB... why would anyone really care about this. It's a video game console not a friggin media center.

4) Yeah, and you have to pay for Opera DS too - so what? Opera was commercial software until very recently on PC/Mac too. Internet usage is obviously not the primary focus of Wii, they have no good reason to include it out of the box, for the people that really care about using the internet on a system with no keyboard, they can bloody well pay for it.

5) Nintendo said they weren't going to raise the cost, and they didn't. That doesn't mean we won't see games at less then that, just like Brain Age.

And as for WiiSports, it is a pack-in game and I think it's a great move on there part, it was obvious with the way they intend to market this towards none gamers. It needs to be a complete package that can be bought and used out of the box with no additional cost - and that is what they did. If you think you are paying $50 for the game I really think you are wrong.

I'd never have expected such an overblown reaction about this, especially not from you MRU! LOL.... get a grip sir! :D

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

11. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Nope

12. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

The only thing that bothers me is if there really is a lack of USB (2.0 or otherwise). The only reason for this is so I could use an external harddrive to have all my downloaded games in 1 place instead of a bunch of cards.

13. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I doubt you'd need a bunch of cards. Every SNES game released across every region doesn't even fill a single 650MB CD. In fact, IIRC, you could fit every NES game and every SNES game on a single CD. All that < 1GB.

Zelda64 is 32MB in size, Mario64 is 8MB. You can easily get 1-2GB SD card and it should *easily* hold every game you purchase. By the time you are able to fill the card you would probably have spent several thousand dollars on VC games... so I really wouldn't worry! :D

14. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I'm sorry but why would anyone want usb on a console anyway...unless they let us use a thumbdrive as a mem card but that is never going to happen and we all know that...hell i don't want usb on computer i want everything to tranisition firewire 400 and 800

15. dwishbone macrumors regular

dang i missed the opera thing. i was looking forward to that. suckage. what was the price for it?
    and yeah the official site still says USB is on the box because it still makes mention of the "USB LAN Adapter"...so enough of this "no usb" crap already.
    and 249.99 < $250. its marketing people.
    most people like myself were hoping it was MUCH less than $250...but hey...every cent counts.
    i doubt ill ever need an external USB drive on the wii, but its good to have and also makes it easy to make addons for the system and to extend the wii's functionality if they want.
    i doubt ill ever get enough VC content to fill up most standard SD cards. i will probably be getting about 10 VC games as they become available and about 20 or so snes/nes games and about 10 genesis/hudson titles. i doubt that would fill up a 512MB (and certainly not a 1GB) card

16. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

also as to dvd player who cares? who already dopesn't have a dvd player? and if its not going to be very good dvd playback like ps or xbx then why would you want it - convience of haveing fewer things plugged up - get a power strip and a video selector

17. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

jesus christ....

you HAVE to be kidding me. some people are never happy... they announced everything pretty much exactly the way they have been hinting all along.

the negativity on this board about EVERYTHING is beginning to become a drain.

I think you should all switch from teh major platforms in your lives... you obviously aren't happy any more.

this is HARDLY on the same lines with what sony has done this year.

I'll be buying a PS3 and Wii to go along with my 360. I'll be playing and enjoying these despite all the tiny tech head masturbation fantasy letdowns you are all complaining about.

so while all you friends are playing games, having fun and socializing, please continue to complain about how the tangible product didn't live up to the overhyped media ASSUMED specs.I'll be enjoying myself online with all the new cool stuff that has been released this year.

good god.

18. jdechko macrumors 68040

Re: Usb

http://wii.nintendo.com/hardware.html

Sound's like confirmation that there will be USB.

19. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I care. If the hardware is all there why not use it. Yes I have lots of DVD players, and I also have a Panasonic Q (Gamecube DVD player) - it just suprises me that in 2006 nintendo are NOT supporting the most successful movie format of all time. And I really dont understand why not ? To just say well everyones already got one, is a lame excuse for laziness.

20. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

ok.....

21. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I am beginning to agree with you if you are not happy DON'T BUY IT.

22. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

online....

implying with all the next gen games that have online capabilities, therefore socializing with other gamers... smart a$$ :p

23. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

This makes no sense. You're saying games used to be $49/49 euros. Wii games are going to be $49, so they'll be 59 euros...how'd you figure?

24. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Your right it doesnt.. But that's how its gone here, because when the 'next gen' systems came out - the straight price comparison STOPPED.

If they keep the $10 / €10 cheaper than the competiton then..

xbox 360 games are $59 = Here €69/75

So $49 wii looks probabal to be €59/65

Meaning they will actually be more expensive than the gamecube... It would be nice if the rest of the world had the same pricing model as the US - but unfortunately we dont...

25. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

well, I could beat the dead horse to death on the price and everything else, but I wont for now.

opera: I don't know, this is pure speculation here, but wouldn't it be logical to assume that this was more opera's doing than nintendo's?

$50: n64 games: $50, cube games: $50, wii games: $50... I know they mark them up in europe, but i also know they have been doing that for some time now. a wii game may be more in europe than a wii us game, but isn't it still the same as a euro cube game? if so, than I don't see how you could possibly be complaining about it.

dvd playback: yea, it would have been nice (and cheap), but honestly, doesn't anyone truly give a damn? does anyone here not have another dvd player (mac, pc, ps2, xbox, 360, standalone player etc...)?