Nintendogs sold 250k copies in its first week - wow?

Discussion in 'Games' started by spaceballl, Sep 4, 2005.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Wow. Just thought it was interesting. I bought it but don't really like it that much...

2. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Wow. I don't get it, but it seems a lot of other people do..

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

250,002 copies :p ;)

my sister imported it. and im trying not to get hooked on it. i wanna get hooked on mine :( but i see why its doing so well. its something every DS owner should get, hell, it should be built in! just so everyone has one of these pups.

i think its done so well because anyone can play it. from my 12 year old sister to my 24 year old lecturer.

4. Super20 macrumors regular

I tried to order it off of Amazon because of price mistake listing it at 14.99. Obviously the order was cancelled. Looks really cool though.

5. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

Here in quebec something like that happened. A few years ago, Radioshack (or another chain... cant remember..) did a typo on one of their radio they sold something like $30 instead of $300 and a lot a people ordered since price was ludicrous.Maybe law are different in US, but I remember Radioshack had to sell them at $30 since they advertised it at 30$.

ps: maybe someone could help me with the US side of this kind of law..?

6. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

they've been advertising that thing like crazy with preteen people! I would be interested to see the age-ratio of people who bought it :)

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i also think its selling well because its a welcomed relief from the typical run of violence and racing games.

8. AmericanIdiot12 macrumors regular

what exactly is nintendogs?

what do you do?

it looks like one of those fruity nintendo games that are actually really fun

like animal crossing

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Someone can (and will) correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's similar to the wave of Tamagotchi pets... or whatever. Where you essentially "raise" an animal from birth and you virtually feed it/ train it/ play w/ it... etc.

10. AmericanIdiot12 macrumors regular

a 3d tomagatchi with two screens

thats definately worth 150 for the ds and 40 for the game...

and its still not as big a rip off as a psp

anyone wanna buy mine?

11. Jopling macrumors 6502

They can't do that, they advertised it at that price, they have to sell it to you at that price. I've seen friends use this a lot and when a store screws up they have to honor it. I'll talk to my uncle about this, he got a bunch of laws in the 70's passed concerning credit cards, customer experiences and what not.

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Amazon and other online retailers and well... other retailers CAN do this because of the fine print on the website or on leaflets... the fine print says that they can not be held accountable to typos or misprints which also includes mistaken pricing.

13. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Unless there is a law that says otherwise.

But eitherway i am buying nintendogs on friday

14. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

my mom preordered nintendogs, luckily we did because the ebgames we went to was sold out, and could only honor preorders.

15. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

i didn't find the PSP to be a rip off, I use mine at least 6 days a week, I find I've gotten more use out of it than my xbox, I think I was just born to be a mobile gamer, not a stationary one

16. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Anyone else feel... well gay if they bought it. Seeing im a 17 year old male.

The game looks like a huge gimmick, is really that great?

17. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

To put the question another way..: how many of the 250k who bought it will still play it in one or two months?

18. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

How many games are out there that *anyone* plays for more than two months? I think the list of titles is pretty short.

I think the big difference between Nintendogs and Tomagochi is the number of items to collect and dogs to unlock... this will keep the the kind of person who's into Animal Crossing/Harvest Moon busy for quite some time.

Just because something's a fad, doesn't necessarily mean it's not fun or worthwhile.

19. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Replay value is the golden rule of game-making. (allthough it isn't followed as tightly as it used to.) I think you'll actually find the list to be pretty long. I guess this is the reason I like a lot of crazy games like warioware and stuff. or puzzlegames. or "rpg"s.

20. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

wait gay is a bad thing? and no i don't feel gay buying it not in the slightest

please don't use gay in a negative connotation.

21. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I wouldn't say he used the word gay as a negative word, but rather as the modern interpretation of the word. As if the game is only for girls, and if he is a boy and plays the game he must be homosexual, or people would believe he was.

Some people think gay is a bad thing, some people think gay is a good thing, I let people think whatever they want to think. (I do not like the thought of "mind control" or "one right understanding". We live in a free world.) Whatever he thinks about that, I don't think it was the subject of what he wrote at all.

Words communicate about 15 - 20% of what we actually say, so taking offence on an internet forum is seldomly neccessary. Most times chances are you mis-understood what the other part tried to say.

Btw. I don't have anything against homosexuals. After all, why should I?

Peace! :D And freedom of thought! [​IMG]

22. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

23. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Sorry I was not trying to offend you or any one for that matter, I think its fine if people buy the game regardless of age and sex. I feel bad now, sorry again.

I meant it in the term that Poff had stated, its quite a feminine type of game, friends would frown upon me in this kind of way. I am considering buying the game and i guess i would call it as metro-sexual instead of the term gay. I don't mind being this way, but society can be harsh.

Im sorry if this offends again. but its my view and i don't mean anything bad again. Nor do i evoke this word at people but use it as a generalisation.

24. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Its ok you don't have to feel bad just that i didn't take offense really all that much but others may and some people get really upset. For me as i said it is just a pet peeve

and i wouldn't think of you any worse if you bought the game ^_^

i am going to be buying it too.

Heck lets see I am watching Pokemon on Cartoon Network and can't wait for it to come out for GC and i am 20 years old.

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

feminin kind of game? please PLEASE dont tell me your one of those people who drinks testosterone trying to be one of the lads, then you get into a weight lifting sorority (sorry, i have no idea what they are. films taught me the basics :D) only to get caught soaking vodka mixed with steroids mixed with amphetamines into your eyeball whilst your peers cheer you on, getting you thrown out of the college/university.

nah its just a stereotype but really. there are a lot of games that are genderless. if you call playing with animals girly then there probably is something wrong.