Nissan Develops Gas Pedal Safety Feature

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aquajet, Mar 15, 2006.

1. aquajet macrumors 68020

Link

Can't say I'm too thrilled to have a computer take control of the vehicle away from me, even if it is a "safety" feature.

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

And in a head-on crash, doesn't the faster vehicle (excluding all other factors) usually sustain less damage? I'd want it to speed up the car from me then. ;)

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think it's a neat idea. I don't know about practical application. But in general, in the past, when we've taken control away, it's proven to be a good thing. People said the same thing about ABS. The general consensus is now that ABS plus a driver concentrating on steering the car during braking, is a better and safer combination. That doesn't necessarily mean this technology should go in every car. But kudos to the engineers working on it. :)

4. iGav macrumors G3

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I don't know if some people will be comfortable with having their car take over control from them like that (even though cars do it alrerady in different ways without some drivers even recognizing this fact. :p ;))

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Benz has a feature like this on production models. ;)

7. iGav macrumors G3

Yep... first thing I do is find out where the T/C button is to disable it. :D

8. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I do not see it taking that much away from the driver. All it seems to do is slow down the car and probably save a few lives. Of course it should be easily disabled but I still do not see this as an invasion of any sort.

9. aquajet thread starter macrumors 68020

There's a practical difference between these two technologies: ABS improves the braking performance of a vehicle, this "auto brake" does not improve the performance of any aspect of a vehicle. It seems to me that any rapid change in a vehicle's motion outside the authority of the driver is more dangerous than safe.

So Nissan wants to introduce technology to compensate for inattention, drowsiness and carelessness? Yikes. How about drivers quit talking on their cell phones, listening to loud music and watching DVDs while driving and make a conscious decision to avoid driving while impaired or fatigued instead?

10. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

No

11. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Unless your heading into the back of a semi or other much larger vehicle.

12. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Well considering we know this will not happen companies are trying to find ways to prevent this type of thing. This wouldn't have to be made if this were true but sadly it is not.

13. aquajet thread starter macrumors 68020

Indeed. That's why I hate driving so much these days, especially in Dallas. :(

14. SharksFan22 macrumors regular

SharksFan22

Great - just what we need, one more thing to discourage people from actually learning how to drive a vehicle. The right answer is to put down the cell phone/turn down the radio/stop drinking coffee and pay attention to your environment! One more incremental step in the dumbing down of America....

15. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

You and me both. Only I hate it in Seattle.

16. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

This is a good thing (if it's proven to be effective before deployment), it's silly to blame Nissan for it. I got rear-ended last year when I was stopped in traffic by a lady who was just not paying attention (I saw her coming in my rear-view mirror and saw she was distracted and unaware that the traffic was stopped). She was unlicensed, unregistered, and uninsured, so I was out of luck. That doesn't excuse her for her poor driving, but this invention might have prevented it.

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It might be better to put the accelerator in the steering wheel rim. Then, while people are reading and talking on the phone, etc., the car stops.

18. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Great idea. I really want to be rear-ending everyone on City Ave in the morning because their cars auto-stop.