Nitpicking about the iMac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by radhak, Oct 2, 2003.

1. radhak macrumors regular

Okay, hear me out. Am just airing some points, and have titled this thread very carefully, lest somebody throws that at me, 'you are just nitpicking'. Here it goes, after using my new iMac (which is my first Apple) for 5 days:

1. The cable for the keyboard is just 30 inches. Stylishly short so it looks neat, but a problem when i have a nice computer desk with a keyboard drawer : any-which-way i try, am unable to have the cable go from the keyboard, to behind-and-under the table to the back of the CPU; like i said - too short.
    So it now sits on top of the table, same level as the cpu, in front of it.

2. Ditto the mouse cable : too short for comfort. But since it has to move with the keyboard as such (plugs into the usb in the keyboard), its not any new irk : just deja-vu. And the fact that it is optical means i can throw the mouse-pad away, so it compensates.

3. With the keyboard on the table, have to take care to keep the optimum distance from the hemi-sphere, lest the cd-drive is hindered when it comes out. Happened a couple of times, particularly when my 5-yr-old was at it, and it would come out, hit the keyboard and go right back in again ;)

4. The screen looks fabulous, but with its unorthodox dimension (rectangluar, not square), the native resolution is a radically different 1440x900. Result - the text characters are a tad too small. I am fine, but wife-and-daughter want it bigger. If I change the resolution to a level lower (1152x720), the fonts are bigger but now there is a fuzziness on the screen. Perceptible enough for me to think, 'uh oh, i cannot keep it this way for long periods'.

At least i have the 3-click way to toggle between the two settings.

When I look at the specs again, the 15" has the resolution i would have been happy with : 1024x768 native. But I had always wanted to have the option to be able to use higher resolutions...And the traditional 'wintel' LCD monitors did not have this problem (at least not this perceptible). I am surprised others did not find this a problem. Maybe everybody uses it at the max resolution?

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-radhak

Unlike CRT's LCD's have a locked-in set number of pixels. Any other resolution than that native 1:1 pixel ratio that the screen was designed to support, will be a little fuzzy as the computer interpolates where the pixels would be if they were real.

I have an IBM T30 right here that's native resolution is 1400x1050. But I need a microscope to do anything with it. So I leave it at 1024x768 so that it is useable. Yes, it's a little fuzzy, but that's what I'm left with.

3. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Re: Nitpicking about the iMac

I can see how the keyboard cord length could be a problem, but whether you plug your mess in the back or into the keyboard the cord should easily reach most places on you desk. I will agree that the cord length of the mouse is short and if one had an unusual setup it could be a problem.

What do you mean three clicks? If you're changing resolutions you should only have to click once. Set the menu bar option in the display controls panel and then all you have to do is click once in the menu bar and release the button when the appropriate resolution is highlighted.

4. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I have a 17 inch iMac and I view it at the highest resolution. If the text is too small, most programs allow you to make the text larger (command- + ).

Or you could just set your wife ans child as seperate users each with the screen resolution that they want.

Hope that helps.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

if you want to nit pick imac lets get to the heart of the matter- one you cant slide keyboard up to base and open the drive and 2 no video card upgrade or decent video chip to start with. These are 2 major problems with the imac. i can overlook the tray but they are allways using lame video chips when consumers GAME with their macs! Steve / Jonathon just aint listening.

6. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

You probably don't want to reach back into your pockets, but Apple does offer a nice bluetooth keyboard and mouse now and that would fix the problem you are having. I think your 17" has built in bluetooth so they would work well for you...

7. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Are you talking about the 15" or the 17"? The 64mb GeForce on the 17" is no slouch (granted it could be better, but then you'd be in pro territory).

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If it's not general fuzziness, but with text itself, you can adjust the level of smoothing to make the text more crisp. It's in System Preferences, General.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

64mx,fx5200 those are bottom video cards in the video card world, the high end imac should get at least a ati 9600. cant tell you how many times i wrestled with imac vs powermac. i went with powermac but half the stuff ill never need.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I agree. I'm on an iBook now but decided to get a desktop. An iMac was simply out of the question because it's not expandable, and I've been stuck with onboard graphics in the past and don't want it to happen again!

11. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

You can leave it at 1400x1050 and just increase the font size in Display properties. Would that work for you? That would give you more desktop space but make things readable.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

if Apple wanted the imac to take off sales wise it has to have a stronger video chip, this is the fatal flaw for imacs--weakest video chip currently made and consumers love to game, and move graphics....will apple ever learn???? they allways find a way to hinder their own imac sales. why not give it a top chip from the powerbooks??? ill tell you why so as soon as a new game like doom3 comes out it makes you want another machine. bad bad apples. this is why i didnt go imac though it is the neatest set up of any computer.

13. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

buy a USB extendion cable, or go bluetooth if it's that bad.

H

14. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-tomf87

Yeah, but what a pain in the ass.

I'd need to change every app, every file, and keep managing every file I get, and re-shrink for when I send it to others. And once I did that, all that exra desktop space would essentially be negated.

Thanks though! :D

15. PensDevil macrumors member

solutions

A cheaper solution than the Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse combo is just to get a USB extension cable (liek the one that the PowerMac G4's came with). An extension would allow you to place the keyboard on your tray, clearing the deskspace in front of the iMac, and resolving the issue with the CD drive door mentioned as point #3.

Patrick0brien already touched on the native resolution of your LCD panel. So, I agree with tomf87... the display will look best at native resolution (1440x900 in this case), and the desired readibility size can be adjusted via font sizes as well as folder/icon sizes. No amount of fussing with font smoothing preferences will really help clarity of text when not running in the LCD's native resolution.

Good luck, and enjoy your new family member (the Mac, that is).

16. radhak thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, i realise that, and i guess i can live with it; with PCs there is a partial tweak of using 'larger' font, a parallel to which in Macs i have not yet found. Instead, as pivo6 suggested, i tried a 125% zoom in Word and find that it looks extra-ordinarily good. Guess i shall try and do this for as many applications as allow it.
    yes, you are right!! thats far better!! even the kid could do this :D
    yes, i am conserving right now ;) Instead, i think i have found a way out : i am going to drill a small hole on the table top near the cpu base for the keyboard-cable to go thru. its only faux-wood, and i believe it should take not more than 15 minutes of my time. if i can use a rubber-valve to line the walls of the hole, should not cause any friction/harm to the cable. how's that for a DIY? nothing in the manual says a Mac-guy cannot be a tool-guy :p

if anybody thinks thats a bit extreme, please stop me before i pick up that drill ;)

17. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

I am forever amazed by people complaining about the graphics chips in their iMac/eMac/Laptop. These are integrated systems that are revised usually only once (or twice if you're lucky) a year. Contrast that with the graphics card industry that has 2 or even 3 major product revisions a year.

So an integrated system will *always* be a step or two behind. So if you're serious about gaming, you should always buy something that can be expanded or upgraded--Like a G4, G5 (or a pc).

And you're right, people will want to upgrade their machines to play Doom3--that's how the industry works. Just like people upgraded their machines to play every other id software game. id as much as any other developer is on the bleeding edge of game performance--and it's thanks to them that graphics cards are getting better and better.

fraeone

18. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

there is something else that detracts from the iMac G4 : SO-DIMM.
    Yeah i know you shouldn't upgrade it but most people will evetually and SO-DIMMs cost alot more than their bigger brothers. Thats why my PowerMac G4 MDD has 768MB RAM in it.

19. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

Wow I didn't realize they used SODIMMs in iMacs. That really is something to complain about.