Nix Chalabi and on to Plan B

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, May 28, 2004.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Now that Chalabi has been totally discredited we have to move on to Plan B. It would seem that that is Iyad Allawi. Along with being described as one of the most corrupt men in Iraq he is second only to Chalabi in being responsible for disinformation. The new "nominee" for Prime Minister after June 30 is the subject of the following article in the UK Independent.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

doesn't anyone get burned in effigy anymore?

seriously, i can't forsee this as easing concerns around the world. shall we ever expect to see "free and fair" elections in iraq?

3. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Here is more on Allawi from NPR.

Patrick Cockburn

and the second from a report on NPR's Marketplace. Listen to a report about 3 min and 15 secs in of this afternoon's show the (Friday May 28th.)

Marketplace

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

hm. that doesn't bode well.

5. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

No it doesn't. In addition they way in which he was put forward, seemingly outside the process of the Brahimi plan makes me wonder if this was a matter of brinksmanship on the part of Bush and the provisional council. The whole way it was handled makes me very suspicious of what is going on here. This comes only days after Bush announced that we would accept whoever Brahimi chose.

Josh Marshall has some good coverage of the confusion going on about Allawi "appointment."

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

brinksmanship? for a while i thought maybe bush had it in him, but i had mistaken an unstoppable rush to war as brinksmanship. bush has all the nuance and subtlety as, well, 9/11.

7. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I mean it in the sense of giving the UN and Brahimi an ultimatum on the inclusion of their favored candidate in the new government. Other names have been floated as possible leaders after June 30th, but Allawi's name had not surfaced. He seems an unlikely choice if the process was truly being left up to Brahimi to decide.

edit: sorry, wrote Chalabi when I meant to write Brahimi.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Doesn't seem like this guy will be seen as anything other than a puppet of the US govt. And that won't help us get out of Iraq anytime soon. Likely it will inflame opposition to US troops rather than lessen it.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If his cousin Ali's attitude is anything to go by, he will not be seen as a puppet after June 30th. I have posted Ali Allawi's interview elsewhere, and he is by no means fully compliant.

BBC HardTalk interview

10. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

broken link.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Works for me... :confused:
    (RealPlayer reqd)

12. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

ok, before I was getting a 404 message, now I'm getting this from a obvious BBC page

those tricky transatlantic electrons not working today?

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Try this for size, and click on the "Latest Programme" link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/hardtalk/3756915.stm

14. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

No, doesn't work, but I found out the problem. This from the FAQs on the BBC site.

It's available by subscription only this side of the Atlantic.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Iraq: Restoring order

Text summary:

In a Hardtalk interview on May 28, Tim Sebastian speaks to Ali Allawi, the Iraqi Defence Minister.

Geoff Hoon, the British Defence Minister has announced that he was sending 370 more troops with tanks to the southern zone of Iraq that Britain controls.

He left the door open about whether more troops would be sent later. But Ali Allawi told Tim Sebastian that he was certain thousands more would be sent, saying:

"My understanding is that a battalion or two battalions might be sent."

Mr Allawi added, "The current troop level is insufficient and of the wrong kind to stabilise the country. The only way the country can be stabilised is by utilising and relying on indigenous forces. This is our country after all and we are responsible for its security. But we need help."

Restoring order

Asked about the American military campaign in Falluja which reportedly left some 600 to 800 people dead, the minister said:

"The US has a military doctrine which by and large does not allow other armed forces to operate in the same theatre - that doctrine has to be modified, has to be changed to accommodate the needs of the sovereign Iraqi government."

Tim Sebastian asked whether the Iraqis could restore order considering that the most powerful military country in the world had failed to do so.

The minister replied, "Well, the most powerful military country as you call it, is not too familiar with local conditions and circumstances and tends to use methods and methodology that are designed for different theatres."

Ali Allawi left Iraq in 1968 after a Ba'athist led-coup and has lived in exile in the United States and Britain ever since.

He has worked for the World Bank and was a senior associate member of St. Anthony's College at Oxford University.

In September 2003 he became Iraq's trade minister and was named defence minister last month.