NK to test Nuke bomb

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by clevin, Oct 3, 2006.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15113036/

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

countdown to WWIII or WWIV whichever you decide this is.

This world is so wonderful, a species that wants nothing more than to kill itself. Good ole humanity

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I feel bad for the poor NK dudes who have to sit there and hit a radioactive isotope block with sledge hammers until it explodes.

4. Queso macrumors G4

I hope it's as successful as their missile test a few months back. I mean, even in the unlikely event they get the thing to explode what are they going to do, stick it in a supermarket trolley and wheel it to the target? :rolleyes:

5. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

... or stick it in a suitcase and sell it to the 'terrorists', let them decide where it goes from there. Remember it doesn't have to be a huge explosive bomb, just dirty, to make a large area uninhabitable.

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

they dont have that, it costs too much.

NK is dirt poor.

7. Queso macrumors G4

"Suitcase" bombs and selling nuclear material to terrorists is a nonsense scare tactic that sounds good in the media but highly unlikely to ever happen. A country or power selling any form of nuclear bomb immediately loses control of the weapon with no guarantee that the people they've given it to are going to follow orders. Kim Jon Il isn't that stupid.

8. mpw Guest

So they're gonna test a nuke, won't be the first country to do it, what's the story?

It's not as if they're going to test it in the UK or South Korea is it.

9. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

NK testing a nuke would piss off alot of asian countries, and western ones alike.

do I really need to explain why?

10. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

as you can see, Nuke Bomb is the only thing that really change the balance of power, it can give the poorest country a sudden status of "importance", thats why I think the existence of nuke bomb is not a benefits for super powers lke US, Russia and China. It would be much better if they destroyed their nuke bombs and all related papers 15 years ago, then there would be no problem of iran, NK, or even iraq

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You can't erase knowledge. Even without the paperwork, the knowledge would still be attainable. Remember, the Manhattan Project folks did it from scratch, and they were pretty successful as you may recall.

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

You don't need to explain why. Everyone with common sense should know why.

What I'm wondering, if N. Korea aint bluffing, will this "explosion" be conducted underground, or above ground, or in the air or what?

Legally N. Korea is not bound by the NPT or the Comprehensive Ban So... we can't say they are violating anything. But one can make the argument that any nuclear contamination to occur in Japan could be perceived as an act of war.

13. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Earlier reports said they were spotted unrolling cable from the entrance of a mine shaft. This was interpreted as them prepairing for an underground test.

Sorry i don't have a link.

14. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Aww crap! I'd really like to swear at a time like this...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/5408246.stm

Relevant quotes...

North Korea must choose either to have a future or to have nuclear weapons "but it cannot have them both", top US negotiator Christopher Hill said.

"I am not prepared at this point to say what we are going to do but I am prepared to say we are not going to wait for a nuclear North Korea, we are not going to accept it," he said.

He said North Korea had reached "a very important fork in the road - it can have a future or it can have these [nuclear] weapons but it cannot have them both".

Patriot batteries are being installed in Japan, but they won't be ready until April. I don't like where this is going....is this the October "surprise" the Republicans have been praying for?

15. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Wanna bet? :D

Isnt the NK president about 4ft tall? And he wears platform shoes and one hell of a mullet to make him look taller?

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

And a lot of vertical stripes. :D

17. Queso macrumors G4

That's a lot of hot air from the USA considering there's not much they can do without Beijing's backing. This will either end with China taking over North Korea and running it as a vassal state, or with Beijing giving the US a green light in exchange for Taiwan becoming Taipei Province.

Either way, the Chinese hold all the cards.

18. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

No, what makes this really scary is the quote from the Chinese...

==================================

The North's announcement prompted outcry from a host of nations including China, the North's main ally. Beijing's ambassador to the United Nations urged Pyongyang Wednesday not to go ahead with a test, warning of "serious consequences."

Wang Guangya said at the U.N. that "no one is going to protect" North Korea, if it goes ahead with "bad behavior."

"I think if North Koreans do have the nuclear test, I think that they have to realize that they will face serious consequences," Wang said Wednesday.

The comment was China's most forceful public response yet to its ally's announcement Tuesday, and a break with Beijing's usual conciliatory strategy of avoiding warnings to or criticism of the North.

======================================

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061005...a1NuTus0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

19. Queso macrumors G4

Which brings me straight back to my theory. The Chinese use this as the excuse to cut the fuel lines and food imports, bringing North Korea to it's knees within a week, then with the backing of the entire international community, the Red Army walks in and takes over the country.

Those fuel and food shipments Beijing sends to North Korea are always just enough to stop the country from collapsing, no more. That stops Pyongyang from stockpiling anything just in case the Koreans and Chinese do have to face each other down.

Of course, if they really are backing Washington, then the deal over Taiwan has already been done :eek:

20. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Wasn't someone from the administration in China just recently? Like the past 2 weeks?

I can't imagine we would allow China to take Taiwan, but then again I never imagined we would pre-emptively invade a foreign country.

I just want October to be over......

21. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

It's all China. **** the U.N. they are worthless. China holds "all the cards" as someone said. These six nation talks are really pointless when the US will send someone like condy ( eewww... )

22. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Came across this interesting revelation about Rumsfeld and NK over at ATS.

Rumsfeld's Dirty Bomb

Written September, 2004.

Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld, sat on the board of ABB Combustion Engineering from 1990 through 2000. During seven of these ten years, ABB aggressively sought to secure a contract with North Korea to build nuclear reactors. During this same period of time, in a blatant conflict of interest, Donald Rumsfeld headed the Rumsfeld Commission which looked into the growing ballistic missile threat.

In 1993, ABB entered bids to build two nuclear reactors in Yonggwang-kun, a southern province in North Korea. In 1996, the U.S. Department of Energy approved ABB-CE to participate in the construction of two "light-water" nuclear reactors in North Korea. In 1997, the first three contracts between ABB and North Korea were signed. These involved technology agreements, and the "design and manufacture of advanced pressurized water reactor systems technology".

In 1999, ABB was voted one of the world's 100 Best-Managed Companies by IndustryWeek. This was a momentous occasion for ABB since no technology and engineering company had ever made the list before. The criteria on which the company was selected is indicative of a management team and board who are making appropriate decisions for sustained company growth.

In January 2000, ABB won the contract worth $200 million (USD) to build two light-water nuclear reactors on the east coast of North Korea. The years of negotiation and partnering had paid off.

But during this same period of time (1997/98) Donald Rumsfeld was heading the Rumsfeld Commission to analyze the growing threat of ballistic missile use against the U.S. In the final report issued by Mr. Rumsfeld's commission, the following statements are made:

continued......
    http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread190100/pg1

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

China has been doing near nothing on this issue to their detriment the way I see it because say N.K. does explode one. This now gives South Korea,Japan,and Taiwan all good reasons to have nukes and thats the last thing China wants. China has been screwing up for years turning a blind eye to all of this. They could have shut this down a long time ago but didnt and its the perfect excuse to say here have some Nukes Taiwan.:eek:

24. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I wish they would hurry and blow the thing up already; so I can have something different to read about in the news. :p

25. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

They are reported as have blown one up.