Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lupinglade

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
New Mac Pro (2013) D300/D500/D700 do not work in Windows 10. Don't upgrade unless you're okay with using the basic (non-3D) drivers.

I've tried reinstalling the Boot Camp drivers as well as the Omega and latest Windows 10 drivers from AMD to no avail: they all fail with a message in Device Manager: Code 43

The funny thing is that just before all this, I was running the tech preview and it worked great with whatever driver I had (it was the Omega drivers when I upgraded, but I'm not sure if Windows had updated them too during the upgrade).

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I imagine the trouble is that Apple used the same device id as regular consumer GPUs. So someone has to write drivers that can differentiate from a 10026798 that is a "7970" with 2 @ mdp, HDMI, and DVI from a 10026798 that is a "D700" with 6 mDP outputs.

Had they used actual FirePro device ids they wouldn't have this issue. I'm sure someone (AMD) will write drivers sooner or later.

ghislain

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
New Mac Pro (2013) D300/D500/D700 do not work in Windows 10. Don't upgrade unless you're okay with using the basic (non-3D) drivers.

I've tried reinstalling the Boot Camp drivers as well as the Omega and latest Windows 10 drivers from AMD to no avail: they all fail with a message in Device Manager: Code 43

The funny thing is that just before all this, I was running the tech preview and it worked great with whatever driver I had (it was the Omega drivers when I upgraded, but I'm not sure if Windows had updated them too during the upgrade).

I suceeded to install these drivers in a rather painful way. First, I noticed that D700 drivers were reported as faulty in the system configuration panel. I removed them with Guru3D software and installed instead the modified (see other thread) omega drivers. Upon restart, AMD 7900 drivers were now installed and functional, but the Firepro control center did not showed up. I got it finally working by running CCC2_install.exe in the AMD/CCC2/install folder. Pretty simple, isn'it?

salfred

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
I suceeded to install these drivers in a rather painful way. First, I noticed that D700 drivers were reported as faulty in the system configuration panel. I removed them with Guru3D software and installed instead the modified (see other thread) omega drivers. Upon restart, AMD 7900 drivers were now installed and functional, but the Firepro control center did not showed up. I got it finally working by running CCC2_install.exe in the AMD/CCC2/install folder. Pretty simple, isn'it?

I think that's because you were in preview test when beta drivers including CCC were pushed via Windows Update.

For new install after official release, Windows Update no longer pushes beta driver. You get official 15.7 Catalyst drivers instead. But this driver don't have FirePro supports, and there's no AMD folder because this driver failed to install.

There IS a fully working driver for nMP with D300/D500/D700 and it IS official. While it is tricky to grab and install.

I'll post a tutorial later.

BTW can you post your CCC version please? Not the driver version but the AMD Catalyst Control Center Version. You can get it from CCC Information panel at bottom.

trusighter

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2015
I upgraded my Windows 8.1 installation (previously had 15.7 drivers installed) to Windows 10 last night and was able to install the 15.7.1 drivers. (D700)

Right after the Windows 10 install, my drivers in the device manager showed up as being the generic display drivers. The modified catalyst drivers I created would not install properly at first.
(From another thread -- copy the files below from the boot camp driver package into the Bin64 folder)
InstallManager.dll
InstallManagerApp.exe
PackageManager.dll

I had to go into the Packages/Drivers/Display/WT6A_INF folder and right click on the C0187327.inf file and click on Install. My 2 screens (Apple Thunderbolt display and an ACER 4k Monitor) started flickering for about a minute while the system installed the drivers. After the drivers were installed, the device manager was showing my D700's as AMD Radeon 7900 / R280 Series.

Once I did that step, I was able to click on Setup.exe on the drivers and install CCC normally, though everything is still being labeled as the FirePro Control Center.

salfred

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
A little explaination and you can skip this part.

The amd driver detects graphic cards by its Hardware Ids, for example D300 is represented as VEN_1002&DEV_6810&SUBSYS_012B106B. Actually D300 is a based on HD7970m gpu, which shares the same VEN_1002&DEV_6810 but without SUBSYS. Unfortunately the official Catalyst 15.7 driver doesn't support Fire Pro cards because it can't pass hardware id check.

When Windows 10 was not officially released, there were beta drivers to test WDDM2.0 support. For whom has installed Windows 10 Preview, the driver should be installed automatically via Windows Update. You can still use it. The only side effect is that your D300/D500/D700 would be recognized as Engneering Samples. The Windows Update will now try to install Catalyst 15.7 driver and will fail eventually. You don't need to worry about that and this driver works very well.

Here is how to install official & working windows 10 whql wddm2.0 driver for nMP with D300/D500/D700.

Step 1.

There is a working version in Windows Update repository but it is no longer available through normal Windows Update. But You can still grab it now from microsoft server. Here's the link for 64bit only:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/c..._b2ce63c3b2599357761fd456eb46f60b79e964f6.cab

I think mircosoft will wipe windows update cache from time to time so you'd better grab it quickly.
If it doesn't work please PM me and i'll upload it.

Step 2.

Unzip the downloaded driver and Install from Device Manager.

Right click your graphic card and select Update Driver Software, then choose Browse my computer for driver software. It will install automatically.

Step 3.

This driver don't come with CCC integrated. Now go to AMD website and download Catalyst 15.7.1 driver.

When installing it will fail but don't worry. We only need CCC.

Check C:\AMD\AMD-Catalyst-15.7.1-Win10-64bit\Packages\Apps\CCC2\Core-Static-Net4

Run ccc-core-static.msi and Done!

lupinglade

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Here's another way to get it working:

Grab the 15.7.1 64 bit Windows 7 drivers (8.1 and 10 won't work!): http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64

Install them either by going to the Packages/Drivers/Display/W76_INF folder and right clicking and selecting Install on C7187142.inf or by browsing to the same folder from Device Manager for the driver.

You can then install CCC as mentioned in the previous posts.

These drivers work perfectly. No idea why the 8.1/10 drivers fail.

ruddagger

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2015
Here is how to install official & working windows 10 whql wddm2.0 driver for nMP with D300/D500/D700.

Step 2.

Right click your graphic card and select Update Driver Software, then choose Browse my computer for driver software. It will install automatically.

Step 3.

This driver don't come with CCC integrated. Now go to AMD website and download Catalyst 15.7.1 driver.

Check C:\AMD\AMD-Catalyst-15.7.1-Win10-64bit\Packages\Apps\CCC2\Core-Static-Net4

Hey, thanks for the help here. How exactly do you unzip the file? It says it's a cabinet file (.Cab), but, I don't know what exactly to do with it. I don't seem to be able to extract anything from the folder.

LWX

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
London
I have a D500 and tried following these instructions but the drivers are still not installing properly. Any help?

ruddagger

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2015
I have a D500 and tried following these instructions but the drivers are still not installing properly. Any help?

I got the Windows 7 drivers working, per lupinglades post. Use that. (And when it says go into that folder, it means the folder after you've tried/failed to install it, which you'll find on your C Drive)

Reactions: frompast

LWX

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
London
Thanks, I had an issue with the Edge Browser not resuming downloads and actually tried the Windows 10 drivers twice rather than the Windows 7 ones. All working now and it is beautiful.

salfred

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
Hey, thanks for the help here. How exactly do you unzip the file? It says it's a cabinet file (.Cab), but, I don't know what exactly to do with it. I don't seem to be able to extract anything from the folder.

sorry for late reply :D

you can simply use 7zip to decompress .cab file.

ruddagger

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2015
sorry for late reply :D

you can simply use 7zip to decompress .cab file.

No worries! I had tried doing that, not sure what I was doing wrong (probably something really stupid). Seems to be working fine now.

I had installed the Windows 7 ones previously. Just want to make sure these ones installed now are the right ones (it says under driver version in the Device Manager: 15.200.1065.0, is that correct?)

Also, are these graphics cards DX12 compatible, and furthermore should these drivers be? Or is that not a thing yet (I'm really not up to date on Windows software, as you can probably tell)

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
No worries! I had tried doing that, not sure what I was doing wrong (probably something really stupid). Seems to be working fine now.

I had installed the Windows 7 ones previously. Just want to make sure these ones installed now are the right ones (it says under driver version in the Device Manager: 15.200.1065.0, is that correct?)

Also, are these graphics cards DX12 compatible, and furthermore should these drivers be? Or is that not a thing yet (I'm really not up to date on Windows software, as you can probably tell)

Not fully DX12 compatible. The 300 series is the first AMD series updated for DX12 feature set.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
I followed Salfred's steps and I'm still having problems.

I downloaded the .cab file and used 7Zip to extract it. There is an error during the extraction and it stays at 99% complete.

However, Device Manager now shows D700's showing.

I then followed the steps to install CCC. CCC won't start no matter what I try.

Any suggestions?

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
Alright, I managed to get everything installed.

Device Manager is showing R9 200 / HD 7900 Series. Driver 15.200.1065.0.

CCC seems to be working fine too.

Does that look good?

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
So Crossfire isn't working. Does anyone know how I can enable it?

GPU-Z has both cards listed, but only the specs of one of the cards is completely populated.

EDIT: Did a Windows update and Crossfire X appeared in CCC.

Everythjbg works well for gaming except The Witcher 3, which stutters. Far Cry 4 has some texture issues that I have noticed. It also takes awhile for the FPS in that game to really ramp up.

Battlefield 4 is easily on par with my cMP running a GTX 980 Ti. The temps get quiet high though - GPU 1 goes to 92 C and GPU 2 goes up to 96 C and then drops to 94 C.

I will make a custom fan curve and see if that helps with the temperature.

Otherwise, everything is running great.

Last edited:

Beckett5

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
Paris
I followed Salfred's steps and I'm still having problems.

I downloaded the .cab file and used 7Zip to extract it. There is an error during the extraction and it stays at 99% complete.

However, Device Manager now shows D700's showing.

I then followed the steps to install CCC. CCC won't start no matter what I try.

Any suggestions?

Hi redneck, I am stuck exactly with CCC not starting.
How did you manage to make it work ? I am really curious to know the answer.

Many thanks for your answer.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
Hi redneck, I am stuck exactly with CCC not starting.
How did you manage to make it work ? I am really curious to know the answer.

Many thanks for your answer.

Hi Beckett,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner today.

It's a bit of a run-around to get CCC. I followed these instructions from Salfred on the first page of this thread:

When Windows 10 was not officially released, there were beta drivers to test WDDM2.0 support. For whom has installed Windows 10 Preview, the driver should be installed automatically via Windows Update. You can still use it. The only side effect is that your D300/D500/D700 would be recognized as Engneering Samples. The Windows Update will now try to install Catalyst 15.7 driver and will fail eventually. You don't need to worry about that and this driver works very well.

Step 1.

There is a working version in Windows Update repository but it is no longer available through normal Windows Update. But You can still grab it now from microsoft server. Here's the link for 64bit only:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/c..._b2ce63c3b2599357761fd456eb46f60b79e964f6.cab

I think mircosoft will wipe windows update cache from time to time so you'd better grab it quickly.
If it doesn't work please PM me and i'll upload it.

Step 2.

Step 3.

Just a few side notes:

- I used 7-Zip to extract .cab Windows drivers downloaded from the link above.

- Make sure you follow the C:\AMD\AMD-Catalyst-15.7.1-Win10-64bit\Packages\Apps\CCC2\Core-Static-Net4 path correctly. If you have followed the instructions properly you will see the ccc-core-static.msi setup exe.

- Even after following these instructions my CCC did not seem to work, even though it looked as if it had properly installed on the computer. I restarted my computer and Windows told me there were some updates to do, one of which I believe related to something dealing with AMD drivers. Anyways, I ran the updates, restarted the computer, and then CCC worked.

Let me know if this worked for you. If you have more problems let me know and I will try to help you with a walkthrough.

Also, a big thanks to Salfred for putting these original instructions up. People like him are why these communities are so great and helpful.

Beckett5

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
Paris
Hi Redneck, many thanks for your quick answer. I followed all your instruction. For some reasons CCC doesnt work at all. My D300 shows RADEON R9 200 SERIES in the device manager and seems to function normaly.

But Everytime I trye to launch CCC I have the same message : AMD CCC cannot be started. There are currently no settings that can be configured using AMD CCC.

For some reasons windows tryes and fails updating this : Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. driver update for AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

I guess I am just one step close to success :(

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
Hi Redneck, many thanks for your quick answer. I followed all your instruction. For some reasons CCC doesnt work at all. My D300 shows RADEON R9 200 SERIES in the device manager and seems to function normaly.

But Everytime I trye to launch CCC I have the same message : AMD CCC cannot be started. There are currently no settings that can be configured using AMD CCC.

For some reasons windows tryes and fails updating this : Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. driver update for AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

I guess I am just one step close to success :(

Hi Beckett,

That's strange that it is not working for you. The AMD Radeon R9 200 is also what my computer shows with the D700s. Is the rest of Windows up to date minus the Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. driver?

I would suggest starting from scratch. Remove all video drivers from your system and then try following the steps again.

You can use Guru3d Driver Sweeper to get everything off your system. Here's the link: http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html

salfred

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
Hi Beckett,

That's strange that it is not working for you. The AMD Radeon R9 200 is also what my computer shows with the D700s. Is the rest of Windows up to date minus the Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. driver?

I would suggest starting from scratch. Remove all video drivers from your system and then try following the steps again.

You can use Guru3d Driver Sweeper to get everything off your system. Here's the link: http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html

A quick reply here, it's hard for me to mention all, so I hope you can see it.

If anything goes wrong, try DDU (display driver uninstaller) to remove current driver first. You can easily get it from Guru3D.

If CrossfireX doesn't work, just disable ULPS. By registry editing or by msi afterburner. The ULPS power management feature sometimes makes 2nd gnu not working correctly.

The driver version is 1065.

Beckett5

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
Paris
Hi Beckett,

Many thanks for your help but there's no way I can have CCC. Actually I am not the only one having this problem with windows 10 official and retail version on bootcamp.

CCC is not a big issue as long as the GPUs work correctly.

Cheers and thanks again

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
Many thanks for your help but there's no way I can have CCC. Actually I am not the only one having this problem with windows 10 official and retail version on bootcamp.

CCC is not a big issue as long as the GPUs work correctly.

Cheers and thanks again

Hey Beckett,

I too bought an official retail version of Windows 10 for my nMP. It should still work. Again, I know it's a pain, but it might be worth trying over again - i.e., either using Guru3D to remove all the drivers, or making a whole new Windows 10 Partition.

Without CCC I doubt you have CrossfireX working. I know CrossfireX didn't work on my computer until I got CCC installed, restarted the computer, had Windows do a minor AMD update, and then restarted again. I then had to enable Crossfire in CCC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.