No 20gb PS3 in UK, we can afford the 60gb

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This isn't negative, just, strange.

Apparently Sony are not to release the 20gb PS3 in the UK. Though we are to get one eventually. Not at the PS3 launch though.

Like I said this isn't a stab at Sony. But what sort of strategy is this? It sounds very strange to deprive a country of the cheaper PS3, even though the UK (and worse so - Ireland) already have to pay more than anywhere else.

Any ideas guys? Doesn't the UK deserve a 20gb model?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=18464

2. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

3. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    From what you quoted, it doesn't say that there will be NO 20GB models, it just said that he wasn't sure if it would be released at launch, which, may be because of manufacturing and production of the actual units themselves. I can't get to the actual site since I'm behind this stringent firewall at work, but again, he didn't say NO to a 20GB model EVER in Europe, just maybe not at launch.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Limited resources aimed at the larger target markets? (Japan/US) :confused:

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

This is NOT Sony's fault - UK & Irish Retailers were asked directly if they would like both models, but the mass majority told Sony that they did not want to stock both models and would only stock the top model, as they are worried there will be little interest from consumers in the lower model.

They know from 360 that the vast majpority of units sold are the premium bundle.

Sony have already done this before of course with the PSP which was only ever released in the UK / Ireland as a premium version. No core system was released, unlike Japan & USA.

Actually the bigger worry I read was that retailers are ordering smaller numbers of units as they simply dont want to stockpile very costly units on their shelves (of course there wont be any on the shelves this year ;) ) but when supply becomes plentiful. Which is fair enough for retailers.

6. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

2 sku's is sooooo 90s.

Odd that there's only one option at launch, but it beats not getting stuck with the "core" PS3. Are you seriously buying one?

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDGE RACER!

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

NO! :p I'm very happy with my 360 and I will be getting a Wii. See no need to get a PS3 as most games will be multi-platform anyways.

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Frankly, I think Sony should do the same in all markets. What's the point of charging a fortune for adding a W00t Cutting Edge™ BR player to the console, and then stripping out HDMI?

I'll most likely get a PS3 when MGS4 is released. That series, along with Wipeout, will dictate my getting a PS3 ahead of a 360. That's why I got a PS2 first, and then followed up later with the GC and Xbox at lower prices with plenty of GH titles to choose from.
    This time around, it'll be the Wii:rolleyes: at launch, followed by a PS3 when MGS4 is released, followed by a 360 whenever the price is right and the Platinum games are a plenty.

9. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

eeeexactly! I should have mentioned before that I dislike multiple SKU's, and Sony have just eradicated them from the PS3's launch in the UK. I wonder if this is UK only, of if the whole of Europe will follow?

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It will be the whole of Europe. Same as PSP is now.