No 64-bit Photoshop CS3???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cynerjist, Dec 28, 2006.

1. cynerjist macrumors regular

2. cynerjist thread starter macrumors regular

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

4. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

I don't think a 64-bit photoshop is really necessary right now. I mean, hardly anyone is using the 64-bit version of windows XP/Vista because noone wants to have their apps support it, and apple hasn't even released Leopard which is supposed to finally fully support 64-bit, so what is Adobe supposed to do? I think apple might make it easier for 64-bit app makers in the future by adding another 64-bit binary to the Universal binary, so that way if the application recognizes a 64-bit machine it will run there. Until that happens though....

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

2D applications gain little by becoming 64-bit applications, though the size of the colour space is increasing, as many scanners support 48-bits now. The size of digital photos may make the conversion necessary some day in the future but not at this moment.

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

7. cynerjist thread starter macrumors regular

from what i have gathered so far, the performance of a 64-bit CS3 is not equal to the hype that surrounds it. and from a business perspective, there not enough current 64-bit users to justify the cost of development this cycle.
    (see below link for details)

thanks for the follow-up links and here is another from an adobe engineer.

http://blogs.adobe.com/scottbyer/2006/12/64_bitswhen.html