Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AfterglowMP

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
I'm experimenting with installing Yosemite on a new PCIe SSD I've installed in my Mac Pro 5,1 6 core 3.3ghz. My main system is still Mountain Lion and it works beautifully - is stable, fast - but I wanted to see what apps I could migrate to Yosemite on the new drive with a view finally to upgrading.

When I switch systems and Yosemite boots on the new drive, I'm presented with my admin name and asked for my password and I enter this successfully but then when I go to change settings in preferences and elsewhere and need to unlock, it asks for Administrator's Name and Password. There's nothing in the Admin space so I naturally put in the Admin name (the same one I'm presented with at the boot up) and then the same password but it won't accept these. What is going on???? To return to my old Mountain Lion system I then have to restart and press N to select the old drive.

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
I'm experimenting with installing Yosemite on a new PCIe SSD I've installed in my Mac Pro 5,1 6 core 3.3ghz. My main system is still Mountain Lion and it works beautifully - is stable, fast - but I wanted to see what apps I could migrate to Yosemite on the new drive with a view finally to upgrading.

When I switch systems and Yosemite boots on the new drive, I'm presented with my admin name and asked for my password and I enter this successfully but then when I go to change settings in preferences and elsewhere and need to unlock, it asks for Administrator's Name and Password. There's nothing in the Admin space so I naturally put in the Admin name (the same one I'm presented with at the boot up) and then the same password but it won't accept these. What is going on???? To return to my old Mountain Lion system I then have to restart and press N to select the old drive.
That happened to me. It is an issue with OS X since Lion. You'll need to either create a new admin account or erase and reinstall OS X.

AfterglowMP

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Thanks, I'll check the Filevault next time I reboot into Yosemite.

Re creating new Admin account, I'm not sure that is possible since I can't unlock the Finder permissions - as I wrote above, it won't accept my Admin name or password and I'm just relieved I found out how to get out it and back to my old OS.

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.