No Airport on iBook G3

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gruffgordon, May 7, 2006.

1. gruffgordon macrumors newbie

Mar 29, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I just bought an Airport card for my old iBook (Clamshell) G3. I installed it, then started up the computer. I went to configure my network and there is nothing for Airport setup. I'm also running OS 10.3. Do I need to reinstall my software or should I just be running OS 9? Any help would be great.

Thank you!
  2. imacintel macrumors 68000

Mar 12, 2006

you should probably go back and check if you did everything correctly.There is a good chance that you didn't install your airport correctly. You may also want to go and buy Mac OS X Tiger. Or try reinstalling Mac OS Panther, so it might think it had an AirPort card fromn the beggining.
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    You definitely do not *need* Tiger in order to get this working (or to go back to OS 9). Start with the basics. When you open system profiler, do you see your airport card? (About this mac -> More Info). It should be listed under Network -> Airport Card. As iMacIntel suggested, you may not have seated it correctly (happens often). It could also potentially be a dead card, but let's make sure it's in right, first. :)
  4. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2005
    Seems to be a lot of problems with installing Airport cards at the minute. Either they are not installed right and are not sitting properly or are dead when inserted which can cause problems. It "usually" seems like it is physical, one way or another, more often than not, either not installed right or physically duff.

Hope you get it working. :)
  5. gruffgordon thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 29, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Airport card installation site

Is there a site that tells you how to install, correctly, the airport card into a iBook G3?