No anti-virus software seems to work on Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Graeme4, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Graeme4 macrumors newbie

I HAD Norton Internet Security until I installed Tiger. It wouldn't let Norton Ant-Virus, Firewall or Internet Privacy work at all. I tried re-installing and updating four times before I gave up.

I then joined .Mac so I could get the Virex software (ex-PC, bit nervous about no protection). Guess what? That doesn't work either. I have noticed on the .Mac site that it does now say "Panther only" next to Virex. It also says that next to StickyBrain (the other thing I wanted) although my trial version seems to still work OK.

So, NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE. Anybody know anything that works (so I can blow another £70 to be where I was before Tiger).

2. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

hope this helps

intego virusbarrier X works like a champ on tiger. try it out.

miles

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You do realize that Tiger has extra virus protection built in to the system. It warns you whenever you download an executable file, and it won't allow installing most programs without an admin password. So much virus protection software probably isn't necessary.

4. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Graeme - currently you needn't be quite as paranoid about viruses as they're much much less of a risk on Mac OS X at the moment. Maybe in the future they'll be more of an issue. In the meantime I'd wait to see if either Norton or Virex gets updated to work on Tiger.

5. Graeme4 thread starter macrumors newbie

built in anti-virus

I'm aware that a password is required before an install, which will probably prevent anything getting in the back door. But if someone gives me an infected file I think I'm pretty vulnerable... :(

6. Graeme4 thread starter macrumors newbie

virusbarrier

Thanks Miles. I'll see how long my nerve holds out!

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah....

Yeah...I would really be worried about an "infected" file on your mac. Soon as that happens, let me know so I (and the other millions of OS X users) actually have a real reason to worry about virus protection.

8. Graeme4 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Not so much complacency but studied nonchalance - you know after all to be aware of what you're downloading and giving admin rights to.

If you hang around Mac forums, you'll be one of the first to know when a real virus/trojan hits the Mac community. There will be lots of discussion here.

The only reason to have a scanner now really is if you exchange a lot of files with Windows users - you don't want to be accused of passing anything on. But most ISPs scan for mail viruses on incoming mail anyhow so I wouldn't worry too much.

10. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

*SCREAMS* AAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!

11. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Try Clam XAV; it's free.

I personally don't worry about AV software at the moment.

[edit]
    I hope Tiger doesn't do like Windows and treat the user like an idiot by asking "are you sure...?" for every simple action. :eek:

12. sausages macrumors newbie

okay guys...there's ZERO virus' for OS X....what are you worried about???

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Norton should release an update pretty soon. I sure hope they do at any rate because I transfer heaps and heaps of files back and forth between my Macs and PCs, bypassing the firewalls so I don't want to screw up the Windows machines any more than they already are. :(

I might be ignorant, but I'm pretty sure a Mac can transfer an infected file to Windows. I'd be happy to be proved wrong though.

14. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Currently macs are like female haemophiliacs - we don't suffer symptoms (as almost all viruses are written for windows) but can pass on the disease to windows users.

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Not so far but if you download an app or an archive/disk image containing an application, it does tell you that there's an app in there and ask what you want to do. Not a big deal unless you constantly download new apps

16. Zaty macrumors 65816

When the first OS X appears (one day it will), OS X anti virus software won't protect you because current AV programs only search for Windows viruses. So they probably wouldn't be able to recognise the virus.

I must say, last night it struck my mind that,to my knowledge, there was Tiger compatible anti-virus software available. Now what would happen if MS released a new Windows version that is incompatible to every piece of anti-virus software? Impossible to even think about such a scenario :)

17. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

I got to thinking that very thing yesterday when I first heard that Tiger had this new warning system for downloading executable files. But think about it, it's actually a good thing. They are preparing for the future. It's better to head off problems at the pass instead of waiting to react to them. And then, in that case, they will be effectively prolonging problems by further discouraging people from even making attempts. Otherwise OS X will be wide open the first idiot to try and proove himself.