no antonyms

Discussion in 'macOS' started by buckuxc, May 2, 2005.

1. buckuxc macrumors regular

Anyone have any idea why the Dictionary/Thesaurus entry doesn't provide any antonyms to words? Do you think this will be developed/added in the future?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I was going to ask which usage of the thesaurus you mean, but I don't think it matters. They *ALL* provide antonyms for me. Are you sure you're searching for a word that's going to have common enough antonyms? Trying some simple polar words like hot and cold produced antonyms for me in the DB widget, in the Ctrl-Apple-D menu, and in the fullblown application.

3. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

I see antonyms in both the standalone dictionary application and in the dashboard widget. Not as many antonyms as synonyms, but they are there.

4. buckuxc thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I didn't see any for the word I was looking at (don't remember what that was now). However, there seems to be very few antonyms, which is a little annoying. I suppose that's just a limitation of the OAD/T.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

True that...if you look up "hippopotamus," don't expect very many antonyms. :D But the number for, say, "cold" is somewhat disappointing.... :rolleyes*