No Apple for Microsoft

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by VespR, Jan 13, 2006.

1. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Awesome. I dunno why anyone would even consider that clunky POS excuse of a keyboard though. Microsoft really need to learn about ergonomics. Remember that half-arsed brick console they made a couple of? ;)

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

As someone who uses a Microsoft keyboard with a Mac mini, I can attest to the fact that the Apple keyboard is CRAP. Every time I'm in the Apple Store here in Charlotte and I try using an Apple keyboard, I'm constantly having to backspace to fix errors that I don't make when I'm at home.

Now, the keyboard on my PowerBook is GREAT... I'm only talking about the Apple keyboard that comes with the PowerMac, for example.

3. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

It is indeed crap. I used it for a week max before switching out.

4. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Thats the way it should be... let those Microsoft Dogs beg for Apple.

5. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

Honestly,
    I think its wrong of apple to do this. Them shutting microsoft out could stop microsoft from publishing Office, Games, Other Software & Hardware by Microsoft.

6. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I don't mind it...it does take some getting use too it.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

im fine with the apples keyboard. i do make alot of mistakes but maybe its just me..

Bless

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I find that the Apple Keyboard that came with my iMac is better than the Apple Pro Keyboard that came with my Power Mac :eek: and that the AppleDesign Keyboard (I think that's the name of it) that came with my beige G3 is even better.

9. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Oh wow. I've always liked the Apple keyboard, I hardly ever make mistakes.

Maybe it's me? :eek:

10. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The Apple keyboard is simply wonderful! I got one for my PC to replace a horrible wireless logitech contraption I'd had for years and have never looked back! Its an absolute dream to use and is wonderful to type with (plus it looks awesome too). I haven't given the new Mighty Mouse a whirl yet but I doubt it'll be able to touch my Intellimouse 4.0.
    As far as I'm concerned Microsoft don't have a clue what they're doing when they're designing keyboards. Every single one is horrible to sue. Mice on the other hand are their forté.

11. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I guess that shows "to each their own". I prefer the apple keyboards. Especially over squishy Dell keyboards.

12. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Phew. Thanks guys, I thought I was the only one that liked apple keyboards for a second there. Apple denying this will have no affect on office as they have signed a 5 year contract.
    Nermal, do iMacs and powermacs actually have different keyboards? I thought they were all the Pro ones :confused:
    I noticed our powermacs was different to our iMac G4's, but I thought that was a generation thing.
    Any pics comparing current G5 vs current iMacs keyboards?

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The top row of the Apple Keyboard goes up to F16, and is permanently tilted. The Pro Keyboard only goes up to either F12 or F15 (can't remember) and has a "foot" on the bottom which you can swing to adjust the tilt.

14. janstett macrumors 65816

Typical Apple pettiness. Reminds me of IBM. When Microsoft added the Windows key (somewhere around 1994-95) IBM was the only major computer manufacturer to leave it off its keyboards, specifically on the popular Thinkpad line. Largely due to the feud they had with Microsoft following their 1990 split over OS/2. Only now, some 15 years later (and with the Thinkpad merged with or belonging to Lenovo), have they seen fit to bury the hatchet add the Windows key.

Don't be so damned petty, Apple.

FWIW, I'm not particularly fond of the Bluetooth Apple keyboard. The keys are mushy and I find myself making typos I normally wouldn't make. Give me the classic old Apple and IBM keyboards from 10 years ago.

From using my boss's powerbook, it's OK, better than most, but the best notebook keyboard belongs to the Thinkpads.

On the subject of Microsoft's hardware, I agree with Truz that it's foolish to agitate Microsoft. Even if you hate their keyboards, look at the mice, they are simply the best. While Apple was always touting how ergonomic the Mac was, they went out into the weeds with the iMac and the frozen claw-inducing hockey puck of a mouse that went with it. I don't find the bluetooth bar of soap very comfortable either. Now, the MS intellimouse I have on my desktop, I can mouse all day (sometimes I'll play Unreal Tournament for 6-10 hours at a time) and suffer no ill effects.

15. aquajet macrumors 68020

It's doubtful that Microsoft will essentially close the Mac Business Unit over something as petty as the Apple Key.

16. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

The keyboard that came with my power mac goes up to F16...

17. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

I like the current white Apple keyboard - nice key feedback and looks. The small keyboards that shipped with the original G3 iMacs really are rubbish, however; not only do they lack a delete key, but you have to press the keys harder than any other keyboard I've come across. About as ergonomically poor as the puck mouse that accompanied it... :rolleyes:

18. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

Funny article. I also love the current Apple keyboards. :)

19. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

I remember them from back in the computer lab at my old school. Didn't the have the 'laptop-sized' f1-f12 keys, ie half height? I also remember them as feeling like they had weak springs. Our old iMac DV was much better than the original ones though, full keyboard, optical 'pro mouse'.

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Does it say "Keyboard" or "Pro Keyboard" on the bottom?

21. iIra macrumors member

I like the Apple Keyboard. The volume buttons are a nice touch. BTW does anyone if the power button on older Apple keyboards works with a modern Mac? It would be a bit nicer than reaching around to the back of my Mac mini.

22. oo5yolo10 macrumors member

oo5yolo10

it took me like 20 minutes to get used to the apple keyboards, the keys are nice and soft (which leads to mistakes) but i like it, and why would you buy a black keyboard when you have white mice, speakers and a computer? beats me!

23. janstett macrumors 65816

Maybe the OEMs know something we don't with the black keyboard ;) After all, who would have ever guessed the iPod would come in black.