Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
The iPhone 7 looks pretty underwhelming. Especially if you don't get the Plus model with dual cameras, you will be stuck with the smaller one without the flagship feature. The standout feature would be it comes in a "SPACE BLUE variant" WTF? The Note 7 has caught my eye and the only way Apple will get my money is that they make iPhone 7 support the apple pencil and that it has true multi tasking, not this phony app switching gimmick. Apple has really taken us for granted with the lack of innovative features. I know the Apple loyalist will say, "Why you need a waterproof phone? don't go swimming with your phone", "why you need a stylus? just use your pinky." "why do you need split view on an iPhone? just buy another iPhone."

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The iPhone 7 looks pretty underwhelming. Especially if you don't get the Plus model with dual cameras, you will be stuck with the smaller one without the flagship feature. The standout feature would be it comes in a "SPACE BLUE variant" WTF? The Note 7 has caught my eye and the only way Apple will get my money is that they make iPhone 7 support the apple pencil and that it has true multi tasking, not this phony app switching gimmick. Apple has really taken us for granted with the lack of innovative features. I know the Apple loyalist will say, "Why you need a waterproof phone? don't go swimming with your phone", "why you need a stylus? just use your pinky." "why do you need split view on an iPhone? just buy another iPhone."

Iphone 7 has not been announced, as you know.

That said, I think a different Pencil (maybe mini?) would be great on the 7+, but the current one....just no. It's HUGE for a phone stylus.

As for multi window, again....just no. The developers would never bother to put resources into updating their assets to account for such an odd screen size, and frankly the screen is too small for it to be a good experience. Not worth the development time both from Apple and from the Devs who are never going to target such a small use case. I wouldn't call multi window on a + device "innovative", I'd call it a half baked not thought out UI nightmare.

Reactions: M. Gustave

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA

That said, I think a different Pencil (maybe mini?) would be great on the 7+, but the current one....just no. It's HUGE for a phone stylus.

As for multi window, again....just no. The developers would never bother to put resources into updating their assets to account for such an odd screen size, and frankly the screen is too small for it to be a good experience. Not worth the development time both from Apple and from the Devs who are never going to target such a small use case. I wouldn't call multi window on a + device "innovative", I'd call it a half baked not thought out UI nightmare.
[doublepost=1471013872][/doublepost]

Yes, obviously the iPhone 7 is not released yet. That's why they're conditions. IE: pencil supported

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
[doublepost=1471013872][/doublepost]

Yes, obviously the iPhone 7 is not released yet. That's why they're conditions. IE: pencil supported
We can both agree it would have to be a mini pencil right? The current iteration is far and away too big to carry around for phone use IMO.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
The Note 7 intrigues me as well. After being on the Android OS for a few years I wouldn't buy another device other than a Nexus. Personally, I just like my day one software releases and Samsung/other OEMs just can't do them. The manufacturers are also slow to update the older devices, so expect the Note 7 to be real slow at getting the Android 8.0 update. Samsung did announce a potential November release date for Android 7.0, so maybe they're changing their tune. Some of that software/hardware is quite nice.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
Okay, but seriously: Why do you need splitscreen on a phone? I find it on the iPad mini more or less useless, but on an even smaller screen?

Reactions: Kiwikat88

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Who cares if the iPhone 7 hasn't been announced yet. The majority of the iPhone 7 has already been damn near confirmed. And iOS10 beta don't show anything drastic.
You're telling me that when they insert the code for electronic fellatio in the iOS10 GM it's not going to be a drastic "innovation"? :p

8rlee8

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2013

We'll be glad to see you go. Enjoy your note 7.

Reactions: silverblack

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
We can both agree it would have to be a mini pencil right? The current iteration is far and away too big to carry around for phone use IMO.

Yes, make it smaller
[doublepost=1471026166][/doublepost]
We'll be glad to see you go. Enjoy your note 7.

Wow, feelings?
[doublepost=1471026242][/doublepost]
Who cares if the iPhone 7 hasn't been announced yet. The majority of the iPhone 7 has already been damn near confirmed. And iOS10 beta don't show anything drastic.

Exactly, the only improvements would be software... The note 7 is looking juicy everyday

8rlee8

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2013
Exactly, the only improvements would be software... The note 7 is looking juicy everyday

We get it. Personally, I think the 7 plus will be a welcomed upgrade from my 6s Plus considering all the rumors so far. I'm always down for an upgraded camera and faster processor with more RAM. A stylus for a 5.5" screen seems foolish when you have 10 phalanges that can do the same thing. Multiwindow could be useful but I'm perfectly fine without it as I can just double tap the home button and see screenshots of the previous app if I need to verify a number or some text that iOS won't let me copy.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Okay, but seriously: Why do you need splitscreen on a phone? I find it on the iPad mini more or less useless, but on an even smaller screen?
For me, I would literally just use it for copying information from one app to another that iOS wouldn't copy/paste. Other than that, I can't think of anything I'd find it useful for.

Reactions: 8rlee8

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The pen, on the note, is a situationally useful peripheral IMO. I could see myself possibly adding a note to an image or something. I'm not an artist, but I've seen some amazing pieces (that claim to be) done in a note, so there's that too.

The beauty is it fits into the device' down housing. So if you never want to use it, that's fine too.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

You are saying Exactly what I said in 2015 which is why I bought a Note 5 instead. Of a 6s Plus.

Why ? Because the Note 5 at the time and still is Tinner and smaller than a 6s Plus but has a Larger Display OLED at 1440p 5.7 inches vs the 6s Plus at 5.5 and 1080p How the Note 5 has slimmer Bezeles and does not have a fully Rotund home button so it can be slimmer yet have a bigger display.

The Note 5 and Note 7 are essentially existing 2017 iPhone Pros heck Apple has even contracted with Samsung to make the 5.7 OLED Display for them next year.

This year the Note 7 is even better than the Note 5 was last year and the iPhone 7 seems hardly better

In fact my brother calls my Note 5 or the Note 7 an iPad Pro Mini since they include an SPen with more functionality than an iPad Pro well almost.

Watching a YouTube video and selecting it with the SPen which creates a gif instantly is great. Also circling notes and pictures adds to it just watch this. Had Apple invented these Features people would be going Nuts which is why I think Apple created the Apple Pencil.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
You are saying Exactly what I said in 2015 which is why I bought a Note 5 instead. Of a 6s Plus.

Why ? Because the Note 5 at the time and still is Tinner and smaller than a 6s Plus but has a Larger Display OLED at 1440p 5.7 inches vs the 6s Plus at 5.5 and 1080p How the Note 5 has slimmer Bezeles and does not have a fully Rotund home button so it can be slimmer yet have a bigger display.

The Note 5 and Note 7 are essentially existing 2017 iPhone Pros heck Apple has even contracted with Samsung to make the 5.7 OLED Display for them next year.

This year the Note 7 is even better than the Note 5 was last year and the iPhone 7 seems hardly better

In fact my brother calls my Note 5 or the Note 7 an iPad Pro Mini since they include an SPen with more functionality than an iPad Pro well almost.

Watching a YouTube video and selecting it with the SPen which creates a gif instantly is great. Also circling notes and pictures adds to it just watch this. Had Apple invented these Features people would be going Nuts which is why I think Apple created the Apple Pencil.

The Galaxy series is really challenging Apple, but loyalist like the guy that just commented on how he would not want an Apple Pencil support for iPhones, is the reason why Apple doesn't really have to try.. Apple loyalist/extremist will make every excuse in the book for the lack of features.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The Galaxy series is really challenging Apple, but loyalist like the guy that just commented on how he would not want an Apple Pencil support for iPhones, is the reason why Apple doesn't really have to try.. Apple loyalist/extremist will make every excuse in the book for the lack of features.
One doesn't need to be an "apologist/loyalist/extremist" to see the impracticality of adding Pencil support to the iPhone. If Apple were to produce another Apple Pencil, the Apple Golf Pencil, then I could consider the potential value.

For every "extremist" on the practical end, there are extremists on the fantasy end. "Add OSX to the iPad", "Add split-window support to the iPhone" without any apparent thought to the practically of such a pie-in-the-sky wishlist.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
One doesn't need to be an "apologist/loyalist/extremist" to see the impracticality of adding Pencil support to the iPhone. If Apple were to produce another Apple Pencil, the Apple Golf Pencil, then I could consider the potential value.

For every "extremist" on the practical end, there are extremists on the fantasy end. "Add OSX to the iPad", "Add split-window support to the iPhone" without any apparent thought to the practically of such a pie-in-the-sky wishlist.

You make my point!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.