No Apple Remote with new iMac/Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by nathanj.massey, Mar 8, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Have Apple stopped putting the little white Apple Remote's in the box with the new iMac's and Mac Mini's? From looking at the product pages for both machines, it looks like they have stopped including them.

2. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

In 2007, yeah.

3. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

At least refurbs have Remote included.

A question, while the new ones doesn't have Remote I was thinking of buy one from friend who was 3 of 'em, so will that work on my iMac? It's used of course

4. macrumors regular

Yes, any Apple Remote will instantly work with any remote-compatible Mac.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

They were definitely included with the previous generation models.

Check out this unboxing video of the previous generation 24", shows the Apple Remote around 3:15 in.

6. macrumors 68020

Peterkro

You can still order as a extra,they just don't come bundled any more.

7. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

But who wants to pay 20€ for a little bunch of plastic? It sould be under 10€

8. macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

They where included until this refresh. I purchased two iMacs last year both had an Apple Remote included.

9. macrumors 6502a

VanNess

I own both the 2007 and 2008 iMac 24 inch and both definitely came with the remote. This is the first time Apple cheapskated the remote for the iMac line.

I can see the justification for making the remote an option on small screen laptops, but on the large screen, movie-friendly 24 inch iMac?

For machines where customers need to fork over upwards of 2 grand, it's just silly nickel and dimeing on Apple's part.

10. macrumors 604

Cave Man

Of course they have. Those things cost $1.37 to make. You can't expect Apple to just give them away!

11. macrumors regular

will the remote that i have for my MBP work on the imac?

12. macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Yep, it'll work just fine.

13. macrumors 6502

Apple has been giving them away with new computers for ages.

I would figure that they think most people buying macs now are upgrading and already have the remote.

If you're a switcher its not hard to pick up one the remotes either.

14. macrumors 65816

dubhe

Apple stopped giving them out to make us buy them, nobody is not going to buy a Mac because there is no remote, and some people will buy them as an accessory, so apple wins.

I also win as I kept the one which came with my old Mac mini when I sold it for the same reason, it wasn't going to stop people bidding on it on eBay.

I now use a two year old remote with my two week old MBA :)

15. macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Apple TV iPhone Remote Work?

Yeah I got lucky when I returned my week old imac for a newer one she gave me my remote (no charge) because the store was out of them ( same for my num pad wired keyboard).

Just a thought does the iphone remote app for Apple TV work on macs as well? If not this is the kind of thing someone should create as an app for the iphone. Something that someone can actually use and continue to use as opposed to the cesspool of useless mediocre junk on the crapps I mean apps store! :eek: *End out of nowhere rant*

I to think it's a bummer they ditched the remotes. If only because it's one more of those "ah the little extra Apple touches" moments that come upon onboxing a mac, forever gone.

16. macrumors regular

Yep.

They stopped including them with the laptops a while ago (the generation of MacBooks before they went aluminum didn't have them). It was only a matter of time before they'd get dropped from the desktops as well.

If you have an Apple Remote from another Mac, it'll work just as well.

17. macrumors regular

Well after buying a $2,000 computer, they should sell it for that price.

18. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Apple (and others) have long histories of including extras with a purchase only to take them away later. See iPod. MB with no video adapter.

19. macrumors newbie

I was considering buying a remote to use for Front Row, but it says (on the mac UK online store) the imac requires IR for it to work. How do i know if my imac has IR?

20. macrumors regular

All iMacs since the iMac G5 with iSight have the IR sensor for the Apple Remote.

21. macrumors 6502a

I went and bought the official dock last week when my old iwantit dock broke.

I no longer have my ipod connected to speakers for music as my new imac can easily run both itunes and everything else at the same time so i use the remote i got with that on my mac and use the dock to sync/charge only.

22. macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

My late 2008 iMac came with an Apple Remote as well. Considering Apple is sitting on nearly $29 billion in cash reserves this is a pretty lame way to cut costs. :mad:

Following this trend I suppose with the next release of the iMac you'll simply get the iMac... Period. Keyboard and mouse will be à la carte. :eek:

23. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

Some day we'll get an iMac without screen. You have to buy the LCD as a BTO :D

24. macrumors regular

Quite a few people are looking forward to that!

25. macrumors 6502a

I borrowed a friend's remote, used the learn function on my universal remote, and voila! :D