Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
G'day
I am trying to convert some mpg's i have to a format i can use to burn in iDVD. Is this possible as every time i try to do it i get no audio?

I have tried using Quicktime Pro to convert in to .mov and .dv. Is this the correct way to do it or am i doing something wrong ?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
The problem is that your mpeg's are "muxed". You need to de-mux them and recombine the two files.

Do a search on 'de-mux' to find the answer. In the meantime, download a copy of bbdemux or More Missing Tools.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
To add to ftaok's suggestion of bbDEMUX (free download), install, then follow this procedure:

(1) Drag your .mpg or .mpeg file into the program. You should have two files to save. One will have a .m1a extention, and one will have a .m1v extention. Once the demuxing is finished, change the file extention name from the file with the .m1a extention to .mp3.

(2a) Now bring the files into Quicktime. Open the video and scale in the audio.

(2b) Note that this technique does not always work, so you may need to reencode either the audio, the video, or both. To reencode the video, use Quicktime Pro and encode the .m1v file to .dv or whatever other video file you need to work with. Use iTunes to convert the audio file to .aiff.

(3) Combine the two new files with Quicktime Pro and finish what you were working on. You should be able to use the "Save As..." option in Quicktime once you combined the audio and video, so you would not need to export your project again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.