No audio on a dual G5

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Archaeopteryx, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

Hi, I dont know much about working with mac's so I need help fixing this... Quite frankly.. I dont even know how I broke it!! Basicly, untill my speakers come in from amazon, Im stuck with the G5's built in speaker.. Its crappy, but it was fine for now... that is.. untill it stopped working!

I was playing UT2k3 with sound.. I quit .. and then.. everything i ran had no audio.. I restarted.. I get the little tone when its booting up.. but then.. no audio again... so I did a full shut down... still same problem... I checked in the prefrences Sound category... and all output options have disappeared except "Optical Output" I dont remember what it was, but I know damn well it wasnt optical :-/

Now, In windows what I would do would be to reinstall the sound cards drivers... But I dont even know what type of soundcard this has.. nor how I would go about at reinstalling sound-drivers! Any and all help would be very gladdly appreciated.

Thanks!

/edit I forgot to mention, the little speaker buttons on the keyboard dont seem to do anything anymore.. as in, before they brought up a little speaker oerlay with a sound level bar under it... now it brings up the overlay just no bar under it.. the up and down volume controlls dont bring anything up.. only the mute.. it either mutes it or unmutes it...

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

3. Archaeopteryx thread starter macrumors regular

No sir, And I honestly have no idea how I would do that. :( Ill do a search for it.. but just in case, can any one tell me how :-/?

4. Archaeopteryx thread starter macrumors regular

ok found that and am repairing the permissions...

5. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

well, since your machine is very new, you cant have too much stuff on it yet. Try a full blown wipe and install. That usually corrects things like this is software repairs dont.

NOTE: ONLY DO A REFORMAT IF EVERY OTHER OPTION DOESNT WORK!!!!

6. Archaeopteryx thread starter macrumors regular

Well, after the repair permissions and a reboot.. it fixed the problem... Now the only thing is "WTF happened"!! :-D

But thanks for the help :-D