Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chanwaiming3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2006
I am a Mac newbies... I am running a 1.67 G4 Powerbook 17. This happened this week. I do not get any audio playback from any web content. The audio is gone!

- Happens to BOTH Safari and Firefox
- Applies to streamed audio, flash, etc. I see the video but no audio
- Nothing wrong with my audio card because ITunes and other apps are fine. It is affecting only the web browsers
- I have reinstalled the web browsers already and still can't fix the problem

Please help!

Simon

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
You might try this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300832

Some audio applications may change your computer's audio settings to a sample rate that is too high for other applications to use. In this situation, system alert sounds still work, and does iTunes, but other applications may have no sound (audio output). This document applies to Mac OS X 10.3 or later and applications that use QuickTime 6 or later for audio, such as Safari and Quicktime Player.

This can happen on Macs that support high sample rates (higher than 48000 Hz):

iMac G5
Mac mini (all models)
Power Mac G5 models that support sample rates higher than 48000 Hz
PowerBook G4 support sample rates higher than 48000 Hz
MacBook
MacBook Pro
iMac (Early 2006) and later
Mac Pro
For example, if you play an Internet movie in Safari, it will make no sound; if you open a QuickTime movie on your computer, QuickTime Player reports the following error (and the movie will have no audio):

"You may experience problems playing a sound track in (Movie Name).mov because a software component needed by the movie could not be opened."

Solution

Open Audio MIDI Setup (/Applications/Utilities/), then check the Audio Output setting.
Change the Audio Output setting to 44100.0 Hz.
Quit Audio MIDI Setup.

Why does this happen?

Some third-party audio applications may change your computer's audio output setting. In fact, if you use the third-party application again after applying the above solution, the issue might occur again. Observe changes by watching the settings in Audio MIDI Setup before and after running a third-party application you suspect might be causing the issue. Contact the manufacturer of the application for more information.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Awe it was nuttin, you're most welcome. :D

I'm a newbie too ... 6 months switcher myself..I'm just good at searching lol. Glad I could help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.