No audio out in Logic Express

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dagless, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So, we installed Logic Express at university (our next project is audio-heavy). Now I just got around to using it today. It's a very fancy piece of kit but unfortunately we have 2 weeks off so I'm sorta stuck here a little. I think I can work it all out except for one tiny problem...

There is no audio at all. Not mini, not wave. Nothing.
    Bare in mind this is the very first time I've actually run the program, I even had a setup wizard thing have a chat with me. So yea. I'm sure I need to tick a box somewhere, or untick some Midi thing.

Any help?

Cheers and that!

2. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Not sure how similar Express is to Pro, but I'll give it a go.

The first step is to work out what audio hardware is attached (i.e. what will be producing the sounds). If the speakers are attached directly to the Mac then you'll be using the internal Core Audio system. If you are using an external audio interface then chances are the speakers will be connected to this.

To set this up, go Preferences>Audio>Drivers and make sure that the driver is set appropriately for the hardware you are using.

It would also be a good idea to check the settings in the Audio and Midi Settings utility outside of Logic, which can be found in the Applications>Utility folder.

How are you planning to make noise with Logic?

Will you be using audio files (i.e. either recording sound directly or importing AIFF, WAV files etc.) or will you mainly be using MIDI?

If you are using MIDI, then you will need a sound source - Logic does not do General MIDI natively (but does have some nice software instruments). The Quicktime synthesizer included with Quicktime can do this.

p.s. you may want to get this thread moved over to the Digital Audio forum. There are some very helpful people there. :)

3. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Nope :( still not working.

strangely enough, I brought over a Garageband file, overlapped a midi file and i could hear the midi playing.

I have no midi gear (keyboard/interface etc) I just want to edit and play midi files through regular external speakers. I wish I knew how to use this application properly.

How would I convert a midi to using those built-in software instruments?

4. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

That's good - it shows that the drivers are set up properly. When you import a Garageband file, Logic automatically sets up the appropriate software instrument.

To do this yourself, select a track in the arrange window - you should be able to see the parameters on the left hand side of the screen. Where it says channel, click and hold this and select Instrument>Instrument1 (or whatever is the first available instrument). This assigns the track to an instrument object.

You now need to choose the instrument that you want that object to control. At the bottom of the arrange window, you should see the channel strip for the selected track. Where it says I/O you need to click and hold the first slot to choose the instrument you want. I would recommend the EXS24 sampler (or whatever the equivalent is in Express - I believe it is slightly different). In the instrument window that then comes up, you can then choose the instrument you want it to be - again click and hold in the sample selection area.

*phew* Hopefully now you should be able to stick a midi file on that track and hear it. If not, or if none of that made any sense, come back & I'll see what I can do. :)