Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikalh78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Hi,
I have a 2011 27" iMac and the backlight in the lower left hand corner is shot. I've already got the panel replaced while it was under warranty. Now the iMac is having the same issues and is no longer under warranty and a Mac reseller tells me it will be about $600 to repair it. Is there anything I can do to get the iMac fixed for cheap or free or even replaced? I'm a graphic designer and I'm disappointed that I can only utilize half of my screen right now.

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
I'd call Applecare directly, not a reseller. How long ago was the screen replaced, because there should be a warranty with that work, too. Let Apple know directly, including dates of last replacement if a resseller did it. Let them know you that you think your iMac should last more than two years.

mikalh78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Thanks. Will give Apple a call and mention that. As well I was curious to use that Chipmunk site that everyone uses to see when their iPhone was built to see when my iMac built and it said under Factory: D2 (Assembled or Refurbished in the USA). That makes me wonder if we purchased this computer "as new" but really it was a refurb. We've had issues with the display and the Bluetooth.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Thanks. Will give Apple a call and mention that. As well I was curious to use that Chipmunk site that everyone uses to see when their iPhone was built to see when my iMac built and it said under Factory: D2 (Assembled or Refurbished in the USA). That makes me wonder if we purchased this computer "as new" but really it was a refurb. We've had issues with the display and the Bluetooth.

No, it just means that the factory both makes new ones and refurbishes old ones. It will say on the foot if it is refurbished.

TBH, if it's several months out of warranty, and you didn't buy AppleCare, you're most likely SOL. Did you buy it from Apple or a reseller?

mikalh78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
We purchased it thru a reseller.

I contacted a nearby Apple store and they said that I can book an appointment online and bring it in and they will assess it for free and let us know what could be the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.