no bay area series, but still chance for CA series

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Oct 7, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the favored As lost and the chance for a bay area series died with that

the giants stayed alive last night and if they win their next game, then there's a chance of an anaheim vs san francisco world series...assuming anaheim gets past the twins and the giants get past the cardinals

but these are still big if's and nobody knows for sure in this crazy year of playoffs

on the football front, the 49ers and raiders are giving me "early" hope for a bay area superbowl

i did like the california superbowl some years back when it was san diego chargers vs. the sf 49ers

why do new yorkers get all the fun with somewhat recent yanks vs. mets and bills vs giants play? and before that with old baseball's giants, dodgers, and yankees...all from new york and hogging the sport's headlines

2. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

update

yes!

...the san francisco giants somehow got past the atlanta braves and took the series 3-2

and barry bonds hit another home run

now it's on to st. louis and the cardinals

...if the giants win that series...and the anaheim angels beat the minnesota twins...then there will be a california series

that is still two big "ifs" since it can be minnesota vs the cardinals, minnesota vs the giants, anaheim vs the cardinals, and finally anaheim vs the giants (which i am pulling for)

for the whole contest, i give the edge to the cardinals first, then the twins, then the giants, then anaheim

historically the cardinals have nine rings, the twins three rings, and the giants have five rings...only the california/anaheim angels have nothing on their fingers so they are the real cinderella team here

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I watched the game on Sunday (Giants vs Braves)...and the Giants looked really good.

If they can keep the momentum going, who knows...:D

4. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

it would be nice to see the giants win a ring as the san francisco giants...they won their five as the new york giants in 1905, 1921, 1922, 1933, and 1954 (i think...correct me if i am wrong, though)

the bigger stories with the san francisco giants since their move to sf has not been a ring but individual performances by the likes of mays, mcovey, will "the thrill" clark, matt williams, dusty baker, and barry bonds (all either in or deserving of hall of fame)

5. diorio macrumors 6502a

The Raiders look good, but I'm still rootin' for the Broncos:D

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

7. diorio macrumors 6502a

I myself kind of tuned out of baseball after the Baseball strike issue. (And after the Rockies fell totally apart)

8. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

update friday, october 11

anaheim angels is up 2-1 over the twins
    san francisco giants is up 2-0 over the cardinals

two more victories each for those two california teams and we have that california world series

but it is still too early to be sure...but if both california teams were up 3-0 over their opponents, then i would say, "yes, it will happen!" :p

9. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I'm a little disappointed with the Twins. They rally to tie the game (what rally monkey), and the angels rally back. WITH A HOME RUN. Whats with this team and giving up home runs? :confused:

I'd feel more secure if I saw the Twins hit one in the ALCS. Thats my prediction: Twins win a blowout game behind the bats of Ortiz and Kielty and the strong arm of Radke. I'd predict a shutout...but I think Radke will give up one or two runs. The Twins will win 6-2 :)

10. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

twins will most likely wake up and either way, i see six games, maybe seven

the other series could go five games, maybe six

my guess, of course:)

11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

It could go four, too...I'd like that.

The next two games are at SF...:D

12. Choppaface macrumors 65816

BEAT LA BEAT LA!!! :D :D

hope Levan does a good job today....it would rock to go to a world series game

13. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

anaheim is up 3-1 and will prolly close thing thing off, but not before the twins get another win under their cap...my prediction - angels win series 4-2

the cardinals finally won a close one and now the series is 2-1 in favor of the giants...my prediction - giants win series 4-2

when the world series hits, you have the big stars of the san francisco giants vs. the relative unknowns of baseball's cinderella anaheim angels...the giants have five rings from 1905-1954, and the angels have nothing

if the angels keep up on their quest for destiny, in other words - their quest for a first ring, then they will win the series in six or seven...they really have nothing to lose and are already winners having got this far in the playoffs

there will be a lot of pressure on barry bonds to carry the giants since he is one of the best hitters in all of baseball

i am rooting for an all california series, but anything can happen...especially in the postseason!

if it ended up being the twins vs the cardinals, i would be a little upset, but not at all surprised being that all four teams alive now were the underdogs anyway

sometimes money and superior talent will not buy the world series...but since the yankees adopted a high dollar attitude and a winning tradition and a lengendary roster, they have won more than one out of every three world series until now! that's 26 of them since the 20s

14. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Yeah, I'm starting to lose faith in the twins...winning three games in a row is especially hard. Hrm...well, mays is good, reed better be good, and milton better seal the deal...especially if Jacque Jones and Cory Koskie stop striking out...:(

Nah...cards win 4-3 :)

Ya. He just gotta do what he does...draw walks and smack homers. SF is and will be doing very well.

Hey, it could be the Mississippi River series!;)

15. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

if cards get wild hot and blow out giants in next three games, i will give the whole world series to the cardinals, either 4-0 or 4-1

when la russa gets his troops ready, watch out

i know, my giants were blown out 4-0 in the 1989 world series when la russa got mcguire, canseco, henderson, and stewart on the same page...those guys got older and injured and got blown out the next year by the reds 4-0...oh, sweet revenge...giants fans were ecstatic

thank god the As and the Giants are not in the same division in the national or american league...there would always be fist fights:p

on the football front, it is now interesting that the former afc west seattle seahawks are now in the nfc west with the san fransicso 49ers...two california teams in the same division in football...the rams were in los angeles and were often a thorn in the side of the 49ers and vice versa, or course

16. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

STUPID TWINS!!!

That game was, um...interesting. Break more records, especially one about stupidity.

Ah well...theres always next year.

17. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

ok, now the angels have won their 4th game and they are going to the world series! they are a cinderella team for sure

so there will not be a midewestern world series, but now:

there will be a split series, or

there will be that california series

it's just two games away if the giants win the game they are in now, and win tomorrow

18. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

What a homer by Santiago. One more game...i'm rootin' for SF now...stupid twins...

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i want whoever wins every series to do it in the shortest amount possible. let's get this crap over with already. i want my late night seinfeld back.

20. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i like seinfeld, too

especially elaine:p

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yuck. elaine...

i guess she's more in your age group though. ;)

baseball for you west coasters doesn't always last til 11. ie, when seinfeld comes on. so you're alright

plus, baseball just sucks.

22. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

hey if elaine did, and came over to your house, you would be her b**ch forever:p :D :)

23. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

it's official

though the odds were against it, it is now a "california" world series...though my second choice behind a california bay area series between the san francisco giants and the oakland athletics

but instead we will see the san francisco giants against the anaheim angels (of southern california)

if the angels win, then i will be happy for them winning their first world series and being from california

if the giants win, it will represent my geographical area of northern california and the giants are also a california team...they do have five world series rings so it's not as much a mission for them as the angels who have no rings in 42 years!

to me and many others in california, it's a win-win type of world series:p

24. Amadeus macrumors member

which is worse?

I'm not sure which: the all New York series or the all California series.

I guess I'll have to stick with the Subway series being worse. There's probably nothing worse than a whole bunch of overzealous proud New Yorkers. At least on the west coast, I won't have to hear about it as much (I live in NYC now, but hail from Cleveland).

Although several smaller market teams were competitive this year, it still goes to show that, usually, the bigger markets have the better teams in baseball. Sad. Hopefully that will change soon, and my poor suffering Indians will get another shot at the series (I'm still trying to figure out how they lost in the 9th inning of game 7 in 1997 to the Marlins).

I guess I'll have to stick with my ties to former Indians (namely Kenny Lofton and the Giants)

Go Giants!

- Amadeus

25. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

in 1989, my san francisco giants got swept by the oakland As (my second favorite team)

but because of san francisco's win last night, there will be no sweep of the giants this time

and if things go well, san francisco will win the world series

however, if anaheim wins the world series, it will be their first and 2002 will sport a california world series winner which will be cool anyway

baseball fans know that the angels have never won the big one and the giants (in san francisco) have never won and i don't think san diego has ever won the whole thing

the los angeles dodgers have won world series rings both in los angeles, CA and brooklyn, NY