No Beachball in 10.2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by j763, May 10, 2002.

1. j763 macrumors 6502a

I've read on a couple of the rumor sites (sry, don't have links :( ) that Apple has killed the spinning beachball in 10.2 or "jagwire". Its rumored that it's been replaced with an "aqua drop".

What do you guys think?

2. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I never had a problem with the good ol' black and white watch... but then again that's just me. :rolleyes:

The spinning "beachball" is too damn pixellated! Anything will probably be better.

4. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Sheesh, all you old people don't know any thing... it's a spinning CD! Not a beachball... :p

I'd love to see it replaced with something a bit sleeker. Actually, it'd be great if we just never saw it at all because everything is so fast. Wishful thinking.

I can't wait for jagwire!

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

yeah it look ugly cause it is way to pixelated, maybe the aqua drop would be nice or have OS X that fast so we don't see either:D

6. gambit macrumors member

nah...

I'd rather have a spinning donught!Mmm... tasty!:D

7. gambit macrumors member

WAIT!

And make it a jelly donught with different colors of jelly oozing out the sides!

8. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Re: No Beachball in 10.2

If it was a pulsating Aqua drop, I would be all for it. More blue, less rainbow.

9. DannyZR2 macrumors 6502

Just wish I didn't see it.. but since I do.. why the heck does it sometimes show up as a color ball, then sometimes as a black and white ball?

10. DannyZR2 macrumors 6502

I miss the ability to <command .> things to cancel them when the spinny ball got going to much!

can't do that in os x.. just have to kill the entire app!

stinks.

11. j763 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here we go -- some confirmation from The Register in this article:

"The notorious spinning CD-ROM cursor, also known as the beachball of death - and a legacy from the NeXT era - has been laid to rest. The wait cursor has morphed into an animated Aqua blob. If you're unlucky enough to catch it, that is."

...And more interestingly:

"...One user reported several hours use on a G3 system without seeing the wait cursor once."

Now that's a speed improvement!!!

12. DannyZR2 macrumors 6502

13. aggemam macrumors member

14. aggemam macrumors member

15. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

I've been using Jaguar for a while now, and the new "Aqua drop" is beautiful. It rarely shows up though, because Jaguar is so fast and efficient, even at this early build. The "Aqua drop" is, like all the other GUI's, rendered by the GPU in QE. It's really cool to be able to minimize a playing video in Quicktime without losing a frame... But i haven't noticed any window-resizing speed-up. It maybe because of my slow gfx-card, but who knows. Everything seems to be faster at a lower resolution, and since I've got a GF2MX it makes sense. The card is slower at high resolutions like 1280x1024 and above.

What I really love about Jaguar is the scrolling improvement. Scrolling in e.g. IE is about the same as in OS 9 now.

16. blogo macrumors 6502

the difference between the spinning cd and the new aqua drop, is that you always wan't the cd to go away, but the drop is so beutiful that you don't wan't it to go away :p

17. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Nice! I'm glad we got to see this drop in action. It really is an improvement over the CD/beachball/crappy-pixelated-hyperannoying-thingy.

Taft

18. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

Have you guys noticed that the "Aqua drop" looks different when the system is starting up than it looks under normal system usage? I'm sure it's different, but prove me wrong if you can.

19. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but it seems that it is becoming a complete OS. They are thinking of the little things. The spinning CD, the modifications in the dock. Quartz Extreme. I have a feeling that this is going to be a massive upgrade for everyone. Hopefully they will advertise this one.

20. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

hey, jus wonderin'.. anyone have any idea of how to change the cursor (the graphic..)?

21. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

The resources in X are very buried and scattered in weird places. I haven't read anything on changing the cursor. They might have the possibility of changing the resource location in X.2, so I guess we'll just have to wit and see. I don't think the cursor could come any closer to the Aqua theme than that.

22. Mr Jobs macrumors regular

this is what the new one looks like boys

Attached Files:

23. Macette macrumors 6502

And girls. And powerdykes. ;)

24. zed macrumors 6502

jaguar pics

Thinksecret.com has a whole slew of Jaguar pics... more then any site ive seen so far.....

25. McFreggle macrumors 6502

McFreggle

It sure does, pal.
    It's rougher...

It's like the Windows boot screen (don't shoot me). It's also on a much lower resolution than the GUI itself...

k.