Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AlleyInsider claims (reliability unknown) that "a well-informed source" has told them that the Beatles will not be introduced at Apple's media event next week.

Their source does expect a new iPod, but also a new Ringtone feature for iPhone users. According to their source, users will be able to make ringtones out of songs they've already purchased from iTunes. They also claim, however, that Universal songs won't be available for this feature.

In the days leading to the iPhone launch, we had heard from reliable sources that Apple was working on incorporating Ringtone features into iTunes, but that report claimed the service would cost $.99.

Article Link

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Then why all the Beatles references? I don't care though, I own their music. I just want new iPods.

Drizzt

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2006
I don't think that the Beatles has ever been compared to ringtones :) I think the Beatles catalog will be introduced to iTunes on the 5th.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I still am banking on the Beatles as well...not that I need them either...but I do WANT RINGTONES! And HD movies on Apple TV...and have the iPhone act as an Apple TV remote...and a moble iTunes store...hopefully at least one will be true.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
Can anyone actually confirm that the final Beatles press release had "the beat goes on" at the end? Are we all just trusting Appleinsider on this?

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR

AlleyInsider claims (reliability unknown) that "a well-informed source" has told them that the Beatles will not be introduced at Apple's media event next week.

And do we know what kind of track record they have with rumors? Or are they a new entry onto the field, so to speak?

Their source does expect a new iPod, but also a new Ringtone feature for iPhone users. According to their source, users will be able to make ringtones out of songs they've already purchased from iTunes. They also claim, however, that Universal songs won't be available for this feature.

Well, if it can discriminate between songs, then this sounds like a shot across Universal's bow. A little bit of retribution for U not playing nice with contracts and DRM-free music?

In the days leading to the iPhone launch, we had heard from reliable sources that Apple was working on incorporating Ringtone features into iTunes, but that report claimed the service would cost $.99.

Article Link

xtbfx

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2003
Let's hope Apple doesn't screw this up and make it JUST iTunes purchases/downloads for ringtones. We should be able to add any ringtone we want to our iPhones.

AND I want the ability to manually manage music/videos on the iPhone like the iPod has. It's stupid to be this far behind the iPod when the iPhone is supposed to be "the best iPod ever made."

Nemisis

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2007
Ohio
That'd be sweet...even though I don't have an iPhone.

Is there any chance at all that it will be available for people without iPhones? :D

netdoc66

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
New Jersey
What utter spoonfed apple dribble. A normal cell phone would have have something as simple as ringtones day 1. As for Apple TV I guess they needed a few 100,000 moron's like me to cop a few mill for vacation money. Color me Apple-unimpressed in 2007

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I have purchased quite a bit of content from iTunes. I don't mind paying for the content.

With that being said, I will be very pissed off if I am expected to either pay again to have the media I already purchased as a ring tone or to create my own custom ring tone. (From whatever source, CD, recording of my own voice, whatever)

However, I don't think Apple would go that route ... it would piss a lot of people off.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Hurry

Eventually, by the time the Beatles come on iTunes, nobody will be old enough to remember them. Now is the time because of that Road ahead is shorter than the road behind for their target audience.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
What's the big deal about The Beatles? Go to any used CD store and buy any of their albums dirt cheap and rip it in whatever format you like. Why is everyone so obsessed with iTunes downloads for The Beatles? It's not like any new songs are coming out. They're out now, digitally, better quality than will be available from iTunes and no DRM.

As far as possible re-masters...anyone interested in re-masters isn't going to waste time with compressed downloads. They'll buy new CDs or even SACD or DVD-Audio. So if you want The Beatles...just go get them right now.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Who cares about the Beatles?

A lot of people including myself care about the Beatles. They are the reason we have any good music today. That being said I already own everything they have ever done and wouldn't buy any of their music from iTunes. I think it would be a great accomplishment for Apple and the Beatles to finally get them in the store for others who DO care about them.

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
No Beatles til 08 early maybe Macworld. A new Ringo Hits came out yesterday and McCartney has a three disd career spanning DVD of his solo video work coming in November.

They will NOT compete with themselves.

It will be a huge CD remasters push and iTunes push in the first quarter of 08.

Forget the downloads. These remasters will sound amazing have both stereo and mono mixes on one disc and then a second with 5.1 surround . They will also include the singles they were recording around the same time as each album, as the Beatles never issued singles that were album cuts. AT least not in the UK. Only Capitol in the US and later hits collections included singles. The Beatles didn't want their fans to have to rebuy songs. Yes this is true.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Why would I pay $0.99 for a ringtone, when I could pay the same price for the song, then make it a ringtone? :confused:

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
What's the big deal about The Beatles? Go to any used CD store and buy any of their albums dirt cheap and rip it in whatever format you like. Why is everyone so obsessed with iTunes downloads for The Beatles? It's not like any new songs are coming out. They're out now, digitally, better quality than will be available from iTunes and no DRM.

As far as possible re-masters...anyone interested in re-masters isn't going to waste time with compressed downloads. They'll buy new CDs or even SACD or DVD-Audio. So if you want The Beatles...just go get them right now.

With that logic, why buy ANY music off the iTMS? Some people really like this digital direction music is going in and would gladly buy digital versions of Beatles albums. Apple will most likely have a Beatles-complete set which is very appealing to some people.

As for why it's such a big deal, the Beatles are the best selling artists ever in the history of music (Elvis and Michael Jackson are argued as best selling as well, but regardless, Beatles are at least in the top 3 EVER). Their music being available for digital download is very symbolic for the industry as a whole.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.