no Beatles in iTMS?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by KKKL, Dec 6, 2005.

1. KKKL macrumors 6502

I nearly turned over the entire iTMS USA, UK,France ...
    no Beatles found
    quite unreasonable

2. sreedy macrumors 6502a

I'd assume that is due to the legal issues between Apple Computer and Apple Music (which is something to do with the Beatles).

See "Trademark dispute with Apple Corps" on Apple page of Wikipedia.

3. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

It is painful to realize that ... but the decent libraries will have a wide selection of CD's to choose from.

4. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

whoa were have you been? Apple and Apple Corps have been dueling for quite awhile.

5. KKKL thread starter macrumors 6502

Sony sells Music in http://www.connect.com/ + MP3 Walkman
    Apple sells iTunes + iPod
    but you can see lots of music labled Sony BMG in iTMS

6. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

Yes they do but the thing is that Apple Corps the music company holds the rights to the beatles music. When Apple Computers the computer company came along Apple Corps (Apple Records) sued them for name usage, Apple Computers promised not to be in the music industry but well thats now moot. Thats why no beatles music.

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's not an Apple vs. Apple thing. Apple Corps simply haven't agreed to let EMI distribute their tracks through download services. They were also years behind most others in getting their material onto CD.

8. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

It will be a Long and Winding Road before you see The Beatles on iTMS or any other download service. Something about their catalog still selling very well. I'll tell you this, the first service to acquire the right will be Fixing a Hole in online music libraries.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Not here you don't. Sony-BMG haven't signed onto the iTMS Australia and as such there are no Sony artists available to download from iTunes here in Oz.

Basically the people who give permission to the record labels to distribute online have said "NO" to everybody. I don't know if it's true of everywhere but you will not find any Beatles music in any electronic jukebox in the country, they are however allowed on Karaoke machines because the music performed isn't the original.

There won't be any Beatles on iTunes until Apple Corp, Apple Comp, EMI and whoever owns the rights to the catalogue finally sort out what's going on. Apple has been trying to court Beatles music for years with the "John Lennon Music Bus" thing where kiddies can record their own music and produce it all in one go in the back of a fully kitted out bus that goes from school to school.

Just have to deal with it I'm afraid. Nobody else has The Beatles either.

10. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

As the conspicuous absence of Beatles recordings continues, the unofficial theme song of ITMS will just have to be, "Got To Get You Into My Life."

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Thought that Micheal Jackson owned the rights to the Beatles catalogue? :confused:

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nope, he might have once but he doesn't now.

13. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

He owns a share of it, but publishing control belongs to Sony these days.

14. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

And here I thought he owned the Boy Scouts catalog.

15. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

The Beatles' material is in pretty bad shape at the moment, which could be one reason as to why their back-catalogue hasn't been issued on iTMS. The stereo mixes are shocking (just listen to Eleanor Rigby on the CD release of Revolver compared to the mix on the Yellow Submarine Songbook) and the mastering is terrible (the records have that 'early-days-of-CD' sound - they are quiet and lack 'fullness'). The Free As A Bird and Real Love singles sound the way the digital-Beatles should sound.

I would guess that someone will realise how much money can be made from remixing, remastering, and reissuing Beatles records and then we'll see the lovable moptops on iTMS :).

16. Labi macrumors regular

When I'm 64 maybe?
    In the meantime just Act Naturally :)

17. mpw Guest

Could be becuase Sony accept that they'll lose sales of their music if they don't support iTMS and also accept that to try and battle against the iTMS/iPod would be foolish in the long run (not that in the future the market might not just level out).
    Whereas Apple Corp. think the 'cost' of not selling their music now will be insignificant if they when their battle of ownership of the Apple brand and get awarded a cut of all those past and future iPod/iMac/PowerBook/iBook/Newton etc.

18. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Semi-related...

I heard on Howard Stern yesterday that Yoko has agreed to allow for John Lennon's music to be available online for purchase-- starting December 8th. :( The anniversary of his death.

19. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage