No Blu-Ray in Mac Pro... Yet

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by clayj, Aug 7, 2006.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

One thing I just noticed... today's mac pro announcement was completely devoid of any mention of Blu-Ray drives, as far as I know (I haven't actually watched the keynote yet).

I'm wondering if Apple isn't paying close attention to the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray war, which HD-DVD seems to be winning so far, and isn't hedging their bets by holding off on Blu-Ray for a little while. (And it's not because Blu-Ray drives aren't available; they are. Sony offers them in their current line of desktop PCs... and they ain't cheap, nor are the discs.)

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Apple is a member of the Blu-Ray consortium so they are certainly paying attention to the looming battle. The reason they aren't available is one you stated already. The drives ain't chead and there are no discs. What's the point if increases the price by $700 (totally making that figure up) and you can't even use it for anything.

3. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

well they could've at least mentioned it...or offered it as a BTO option (since the new Mac Pros are clearly designed for customizability...) :rolleyes:

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Hence the second optical drive slot...if you want to get your own, by all means do so. I'm sure they'll offer them when they feel they're in a good price range.

5. triotary macrumors regular

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Blu-ray has been on sale in Japan for years.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

LMAO, December of 2005 at best for finding the writeable media.