no bluetooth transfer possible to windows ...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cyberone, Aug 3, 2006.

1. cyberone macrumors regular

I paired mac os x (powerbook) with a windows xp machine.

can send files from windows to the mac using bluetooth.

but cannot send files from the mac to windows.

error message says: "Device does not have the necessary services".

how and where to activate those services?

tks for any input!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you trying to send them via "send file to bluetooth device" or using the browse device option?

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why not just use Wireless networking or an ethernet cable (if you have an older Mac you may need a crossover cable to do this) to connect your Mac and PC? it's a lot faster and more reliable. I have personally found Bluetooth on Windows has many many problems and rarely works correctly with the MS standard drivers, if you install the drivers that came with your Bluetooth adapter it may work better.

4. cyberone thread starter macrumors regular

... with the "send file ..." command

then the powerbook tries to "validate device", after this the error message shows up.

5. cyberone thread starter macrumors regular

no wlan around and ethernet port unavailable ...

bluetooth is the only option.

strangely it works flawless from win to mac, but not the other way around ...

what am I doing wrong?!

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are the devices paired? Try deleting the pairing on the mac and pairing them again.

Also, in the bluetooth preferences, when you go the device entry for the Windows computer, does it list OBEX file transfer as a service? It could be a difference in how bluetooth is implemented... Microsoft sadly has a reputation for making poor bluetooth stacks (much to the chagrin of Windows Mobile 5 owners, but that's another story....) Can you browse the Mac (perhaps see the ~/public folder) from Windows via BT?

But still for just a moment on the issue of alternatives. Do both of these computers have Wifi cards? You can create an ad-hoc network. You start the network on the Mac -- it's an option (create computer-to-computer network, or something like this) in the airport menu. And then you join that network from the Windows computer....

7. cyberone thread starter macrumors regular

tks for your very helpful comment.

yes, they're paired, but I delete the pairing again on re-do it.

regarding OBEX, no, it is not listed and after two hours of searching around I had not found a way to list it ...

would I have to specially activate OBEX on the windows machine? or on the mac?

no, on one computer no wi-fi available ... with wi-fi it would be an easy issue, that's why I'm kind of lost here ...

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm not that familiar with Bluetooth on desktop Windows.... I suppose burning a CDR is also not an option? (Sorry to keep throwing out non-BT options).

Oooh, but look at this thread:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=64141

See if you can mime their method:

In particular, see if the send Mac to Win works when you've done 1-2 in the list above.