No boot after kernal panic!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by stevehaslip, Feb 12, 2005.

1. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

Hi,
    I installed some (apple stock) ram in a friends 1.8ghz rev a powermac g5 and it worked fine, mean to run rember but forgot to take it with me but the ram appeared to run smoothly without any problems. Then after a few days usage she noticed that dvd player was throwing up green interferance. I read that that can be caused by ram, but that firmware and osx updates fixed the problem. So sent her a cd with 10.3.7 and firmware update 5.1.5f2 on, i told her to remove the ram before the firmware update but she didnt.

Then 8 days after the new ram went in while watching an avi video she had a kernal panic, her mac hasn't been able to boot since.

It gets to the white screen, chimes then the spinning cog spins. (apparently she left it spinning for an hour)

It wont boot, i tried taking the new ram out, reseting pmu. zapping pram from open firmware, repairing from safe mode, booting from hardware cd and using disc utility to repair permissions. Nothing has worked.

She doesn't have applecare. My next guess was to archive and install osx and hope that something gets fixed? Could the firmware update have caused this? I have panther and my applecare cd to try (that has tech tool on it doesn't it? i've never had to use it)

During alot of the processes i tried things happened, files replaced or repaired but that isn't surprising because she never runs the cron scripts etc and she has a load of dodgy software on there.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated, she really is counting on me and shes been without her computer for over a week now, she has work mounting up.

EDIT. now i see that 5.1.5f2 wasn't meant for 1.8ghz g5's unless you were having issues, a friend told me to install and it still works fine on my 1.8ghz rev a g5.

Could this be the cause of the delayed problem to my friends computer?

Should i revert to 5.1.5f1? or stick with 5.1.5f2 as it is currently fine?

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

I believe and archive install without the ram in would do the trick. The RAM, this was from Apple correct? Call them up and tell them what happened, because you might have a bad stick of RAM, and hopefully it didn't do any other damage and you can get it replaced.

3. stevehaslip thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

k thanks for the suggestion, the ram was apple ram that came with my g5. But it didn't play nicely with some crucial ram I bought. To cut a long story short I have since discovered that apple put dodgy ram in some of the first rev of g5's, it simpy won't work with other ram even apple stuff. I tried this in my friends computer because she had the same kind, I thought it might work together. But I'm gonna get it replaced anyway.

Do you think that it could have been the firmware that messed up the computer? should i revert to 5.1.5f1?