No Bootable HFS Partition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nermal, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have a beige G3 and I'm trying to install Panther using XPostFacto. I can start the install from within XPF, and after a few seconds the system reboots. However, it doesn't get much further! Usually, when booting into OS 9, I get the "happy Mac" after a few seconds. When trying to boot OS X, on the other hand, I get a completely blank screen for around 15 seconds, followed by the message "no bootable HFS partition". About a minute later I get a grey screen with a mouse, but nothing else.

If I reboot without the OS X CD in the drive, I get the same problem (15 second delay etc) but with a different message ("cannot OPEN", I think it was). I can reboot from the OS 9 CD and set the Startup Disk back to the hard drive, which fixes the problem and lets me boot back into OS 9 again.

After doing some fiddling around, I discovered that the problem occurs when I try to boot from the OS X CD, regardless of whether I use XPostFacto or not. Does XPF usually get invoked later on in the process?

Has anyone experienced this kind of thing before? Any ideas? Thanks :)

2. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've installed Linux in the meantime (YDL 3.0.1) and it works OK, as does OS 9. I've run MacTest Pro and it doesn't find anything wrong, so I think the hardware's all OK.

Jaguar is the latest supported version of Mac OS for beige G3s, but I no longer have a copy, and all the copies I've found online have been too expensive :( Regardless, Panther "should" work via XPostFacto.

Edit: I figured it out! :)
    The previous owner of the computer had connected the CD drive to secondary master, and the hard drive to secondary slave. OS 9 and Linux are happy with this, but apparently it's a no-no in OS X. I've swapped them around (HD as master, CD as slave) and now I get a familiar grey Apple logo when I put the Panther CD in :) (it's followed by a kernel panic, but I'm not running via XPostFacto yet, which is probably the reason).

Edit 2: Yep, XPostFacto fixed it, and I'm posting this message from my G3 with OS 10.3.5 :) Next steps are more RAM and a colour screen :p