No bootup after Win XP install on Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mamma.maria&jos, Apr 15, 2006.

1. mamma.maria&jos macrumors newbie

Apr 13, 2006
    I tried installing Windows XP Pro (SP 2) on my new Mac Mini.

After doing a software update and the firmware upgrade, I was prompted to put in the Windows CD and after doing this, a normal installation routine for XP Pro began.
    Everything looked fine and the process was done rather quickly, but after the first reboot, I was presented with an error message that said a certain hal.dll was missing in this folder:

<Windows root>\system32

I tried using a partitioning tool (partition magic) then, but it could not read the drive structure. (My initial idea was deleting the FAT32 partition I had created for XP, hoping to go back to Mac OS this way)

Now I tried reinstalling Mac OS X off DVD but booting the mini will only present me with the error message.

What can I do?

Are there any partitioning tools that can be used with the mini apart from the tool Apple provides?
  2. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Are you holding down the "Option" key during the bootup?

Did you get the Tiger DVD to boot or not? If not, did you hold down "C" during the bootup to make it boot from the optical drive?

3. mamma.maria&jos thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 13, 2006
    Ahhh, thx for the swift reply.

Mac OS X is still in place and boots fine as I have found out now.

So what can I do in order to get Win XP working?
  4. sabor macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2006
    The procedure you followed seems fine you me. Did you select to format the Windows partition (quick)?

Other than that, I can only think your WinSP2 CD is messed up.
  5. mamma.maria&jos thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 13, 2006
    The CD is definitely OK, since I run two XP installs done with it.

I chose to format with FAT32 - to be safe, I did not use the quick option.
  6. sabor macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2006
    Try again and see what happens. Insert the WinXP CD and boot with Option pressed. Select the CD to boot and try to follow the install again...good luck!