no buddy list in ichat..

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigben334, Jan 25, 2007.

1. bigben334 macrumors regular

hey i woke up this morning and booted up my macbook..and when i open ichat, it says i'm available but no buddies come up..i tried adding a buddy, but it never showed up on the buddy list..so pretty much it seems that i'm available yet i have no buddies..but i can't add buddies either..doesn't make sense..i tried reinstalling the security update from last night but that didnt work..and i tried reinstalling that ichat update for a few weeks ago but that didn't work either..i've rebooted several times and it still happens..can anybody please help?..thanks in advance

2. bartelby macrumors Core

:eek:

SNAP!!!

Same here!!!

3. copanewbe macrumors member

Yea, what the hell....same thing here. Did that security update screw something up??

4. bartelby macrumors Core

What update?

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

This one.

FWIW, I haven't installed it yet, and iChat is fine for me.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

I just checked Software Update.
    I haven't installed it either...:confused:

7. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

It must be some AIM server or something because I installed the update and was using iChat last night but now I have the same problem.

8. copanewbe macrumors member

A tried manually chatting with someone by creating a new chat. I then get this message: "Your privacy settings are set so they prevent you from communicating with this person."

First of all, I never changed any privacy settings. Just all of a sudden my buddy list wont load and I can't even manually chat with anyone. Secondly, my privacy settings are set to allow me to talk to anyone. Lastly, it says that you need to change the settings while logged OUT of ichat, but when I log out, all the privacy settings are gray/disabled.

JHacker, you might be right about the AIM server. I just wouldn't think it would mess my settings up.

9. wkw macrumors 6502

wkw

all my aim buddies appear when I log into aim using Fire

10. bigben334 thread starter macrumors regular

my buddy list is back and everything is normal again..it just magically started working..phew thank god..good luck to everyone with this problem..

11. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

I tried again after you said this and mine is back up too! I think we are too quick to blame our beloved Apple :)

12. musicalmcs8706 macrumors regular

I've had it happen a few times before, and I try it again in a little bit and there appears my buddy list.

13. toretto67 macrumors newbie

OMG SAME HERE! i just dowloaded the security update too!!

14. devburke Guest

Um…this thread is almost three years old.

15. kdavidsonkismac macrumors newbie

iChat

This is my first post. I've been searching for answers on the exact iChat issue that I see here. So, I guess that I just hope that it eventually comes back? Do I have to install the security software?