No Bulit-in Audio!! MBP C2D! please help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by S2NINJA, Nov 11, 2006.

1. S2NINJA macrumors member

S2NINJA

Hi,

I have a problem.

My brand new MBP C2D has NO audio!

When i first got it, i started it up, and the sound worked perfectly! However, a day after, my audio just dissapeared!

If i got to "about this mac", under built in audio: it shows "no built in audio". My MBP does not make ANY sounds at all (no boot chime, no soundfx, no music, nothing. silent in a bad way).

I've searched be boards but found little to do w/ my particular problem.

here's what i have tried but w/ no luck:

1. reset PRAM
    2. reinstall OSX
    3. create another account
    4. load up garageband (says: coreaudio: selected driver not found (-10202)
    5. searched in spotlight for 'com.apple.audio.devicesettings.plist' and move to desktop then reset
    6. plug in usb speakers, then remove (usb speakers work fine! but nothing still from built-in sound)
    7. run the hardware check thing (both quick + extensive)
    8. uninstall bootcamp
    9. cry. :(

Is there anything else I can try? i'm pretty new to macs although i was using my dad's old pbg4 Ti before making the switch from MS. If i do have to send it for repairs, will i have to mail it out? or can I just go to any authorized mac dealers (westworld computers, or simply computing in Vancouver, BC canada?). Please advise me! I would really appreciate it!

@ this point i feel helpless and extremely disappointed. I love my MBP, and there are no other problems besides this. I just feel so annoyed that my brand new $2000+ laptop isn't working properly!! :( :(

2. akadmon macrumors 68010

Hm, sorry to hear this. If your problem does not get resolved, I will add this to the C2D MB WC thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=250377

3. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Did it ever? I assume you tried head phones and they didn't work.

4. S2NINJA thread starter macrumors member

S2NINJA

thank you for your consideration.... i have a feeling it will have to go back to apple (store)...

i googled this, and only found 1 other case of this...but it seemed to have never been resolved... :

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=197353

yes, it worked the 1st day i started it up, but not after, and still not now... I did try the headphone ports but nothing. it's like the sound card / driver doesn't even exist!! had it not made sounds at the beginning...

5. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

How old is it? If it is less than 14 days, not BTO, and you live near an Apple Store I don't see why you wouldn't get a brand new one on the spot.

6. S2NINJA thread starter macrumors member

S2NINJA

unfortunately, its 4 days old, and it's BTO from the ADC store... can i still bring it into an apple store for repairs though? i really really really don't want to ship it out...

7. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

i'm not sure if they let you bring it into the store to check it out, that's what i'm worried about because i'm going to get one through adc on monday. I heard someone said they took their machine to the store and they took the serial # and said they couldn't do anything and to call apple care because it's an adc purchase.

8. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

When you bring it in to the Genius Bar I don't think they immediately look up the serial. But, if any repairs have to be done then, undoubtedly, they will. Might as well take it in and give it a try.

9. S2NINJA thread starter macrumors member

S2NINJA

why is that? the thing is no matter what it's still an apple product? why would a repair be any different?

10. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Did you try rebooting it?

It happened to my MBP after EyeTV crashed mysteriously, but a reboot fixed it.

11. S2NINJA thread starter macrumors member

S2NINJA

yes. I have rebooted many times... :(

no effect...

12. bartelby macrumors Core

13. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I don't know, it seems that ADC is very different. I think they should but I have had heard reports that would make me think they might not. Can't hurt to try, definitely before shipping it out.

14. S2NINJA thread starter macrumors member

S2NINJA

well, i called applecare today and basically i stumped the CSR there. She gave me a claim number and told me to go to my nearest authorized apple service store for a repair....

I really hope that it won't take too long. anyone know the avg. turn around time?

hows the reliability after repairs? I've read so many horror stories about people going back 3+ times... i just hope those examples are rare examples of MBP problems...

15. JAT macrumors 603

Turn around depends on the problem. For my dead battery last week, they replaced it on the spot, took about 1/2 hour. (half of that was the genius typing up the warranty paperwork) If they have to replace hardware, they should have it done in a day or 2 if they have the parts. Or within a day after getting the parts.

16. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

17. S2NINJA thread starter macrumors member

S2NINJA

bad sound board.

So here's an update:

I took my MBP to the apple store yesterday, and the technician said that it's probably a faulty sound board. He explain to me that it's a separate board, and should be fairly easy to replace, and will not involve an entire logicboard replacement.

He quoted me 5-7 business days (since he has to get the part from apple california).

I hope it comes back sooner...

an another note: having VERY bad luck these days, missed bus stop due to construction, had to walk an extra 10 blocks in the rain...went to drop off my MBP, got a $50 parking ticket....(my fault...wasn't thinking...still...only 5min max) -there goes my bluetooth mouse...